MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby Dirtdevil » November 5th, 2013, 6:19 am

As of last night there is a tree down across the paved path heading to the trailhead where it splits off. Visible in daylight-not so much at night.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby jasonxj » November 6th, 2013, 9:38 am

Trail was great yesterday. Only one impaler overhead branch about half a mile from the end to look out for.
jasonxj

Postby jwhitey » November 8th, 2013, 11:32 am

The trail was good last night. Only a few wet spots. Did a lap in the normal direction just before dark and then did a backwards short lap. I blew right past the split that's hard to see going backwards but didn't have time for another full lap anyway. Lot's of deer but didn't see another rider.
jwhitey

Postby mjbl » November 10th, 2013, 8:35 pm

This morning the trail was great, go and enjoy.
Wake up happy.
mjbl

Postby jreyst » November 10th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Yep. a few minor mud spots but otherwise great condition. Only downside is my buddy bent a derailleur hanger on the fast section before the two wooden "bridges" that runs parallel to the paved path. Luckily he's Mr. Prepared and had a spare and was good to go after replacing. Lesson to me: Be sure to pack a spare hanger along with my spare power links, tube, and patch kit. A bit windy but otherwise a very pleasant day out there this morning.
--
John Reyst
Currently riding 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
Previously riding: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby mtnbiker007 » November 11th, 2013, 11:58 am

Haven't ridden Maybury in a while. I figured it would turn into a hot mess a month before next years time trial with people ridding forward and backwards. Guess that's already started and has become the new norm? Ride whatever direction you want?
mtnbiker007

Postby jreyst » November 11th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Except for night riding I'm not aware that it has become acceptable to ride the wrong direction at Maybury.
--
John Reyst
Currently riding 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
Previously riding: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby chisbang » November 11th, 2013, 12:05 pm

jreyst wrote:Except for night riding I'm not aware that it has become acceptable to ride the wrong direction at Maybury.

It's not acceptable to ride the wrong way during the day. Night time only and with lights.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby b_b » November 11th, 2013, 1:52 pm

jwhitey wrote:The trail was good last night. Only a few wet spots. Did a lap in the normal direction just before dark and then did a backwards short lap. I blew right past the split that's hard to see going backwards but didn't have time for another full lap anyway. Lot's of deer but didn't see another rider.

mtnbiker007 wrote:Haven't ridden Maybury in a while. I figured it would turn into a hot mess a month before next years time trial with people ridding forward and backwards. Guess that's already started and has become the new norm? Ride whatever direction you want?

Nope, zero problems. I ride here about once a week. It's also common practice everywhere to ride backwards at night with lights. There's no problem seeing oncoming riders with lights. I assume jwhitey did his dark lap with lights.
b_b

Postby jwhitey » November 11th, 2013, 4:12 pm

That's correct. Having been the victim of a violent head on crash at Island Lake a few years ago, at about noon on the short 2-way section, I won't be riding the wrong direction anywhere.
Backwards laps at any trail are great but only after dark or maybe in the dead of winter when visibility is not an issue. I am capable of the occasional parking infraction but I've learned to keep that under my hat.
jwhitey

Postby mtnbiker007 » November 11th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Thanks for the education! That's what I love about these boards. How else could you learn all this stuff on your own? Makes sense that backwards riding is ok after dark....that way someone coming at you has a chance of seeing your beam. I am still holding my breath hoping Maybury doesn't become a mess next July with those wanting to get in early practice for the TT....which may or may not be run backwards.
mtnbiker007

Postby b_b » November 11th, 2013, 7:15 pm

I'm not at all concerned and really doubt any racers would risk going backwards. Now pay attention to when the race is and can get out there for reverse lap the Friday before and the race of course. This trail is even more fun backwards.
b_b

Postby Dirty Tires » November 16th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Trail is in great shape right now, a few mud holes and one tree that should be removed.

The tree is down in a tricky spot, which could catch an unaware rider off guard. It is right after the long low log pile at around the 2 mile mark after the paved path crossing, on your way to the horse parking lot trail head. It is unincorporated into the log pile, and at the end of it which could cause someone to endo if they weren't paying attention.
~Nate

Bike Patrol:
http://mmba.org/programs/michigan-mountain-bike-patrol/

Face-slappers are the plants trying to give you a high five.
Dirty Tires

Postby chisbang » November 16th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Dirty Tires wrote:Trail is in great shape right now, a few mud holes and one tree that should be removed.

The tree is down in a tricky spot, which could catch an unaware rider off guard. It is right after the long low log pile at around the 2 mile mark after the paved path crossing, on your way to the horse parking lot trail head. It is unincorporated into the log pile, and at the end of it which could cause someone to endo if they weren't paying attention.

Thanks Nate. Trevor is going after that one tomorrow. Meanwhile you can clear it without much effort if you know it's coming.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby jlovett » November 16th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Thanks to the guy's working on the trail today. I did not see anything posted up about doing trail work.
"Financing The American Dream, One Yard At A Time"

http://www.jlovett.com
RACING GREYHOUNDS
jlovett

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments