MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby lawn dart » September 29th, 2013, 3:14 pm

b_b wrote:Yep most MI mtb trails are multi-use. If i come across said jogger and have to choose between him and a tree he's going to get a rude awakening. Nothing tough about it. Actually the opposite. People give. Trees don't!

BLOOMIS914 wrote:Jogger definitely got the worst of it as I realized he was not moving so I firmed up my shoulder and braced for impact as the trees were tight on my left his side had several feet off the trail.

Yep. Pretty much my point. I'd hate to hurt someone who thinks his 'rights' suddenly override physics.

...These @$$clowns make for exciting and unpredictable trail features which only help improve my cat like reflexes and bike handling skills.

:mrgreen: *thumbsup!*
lawn dart

Postby Loren » September 29th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Of course I wasn't there, so please don't take this as a specific criticism. I just want to make an observation for others reading this...

Uphill, downhill, blind corners, whatever - we need to be in control of our bikes and able to stop within the clear distance ahead at all times. This is an essential survival skill at places like Copper Harbor where most trails are bi-directional and you'll encounter people slowly climbing up the Flow at the same time you're railing the berms and soaring off the jumps at 20+ mph on your way down. It's still important down here. Around the corner there might be someone fixing a flat, a down tree, a trail runner, a deer, or even someone doing trailwork.

A hiker or runner is a lot more nimble and in general it's a lot easier for them to step aside when meeting a bike during a surprise encounter. That's what usually happens, but we shouldn't expect it. We need to be in control of our bikes, and everyone should do what they can to avoid a collision.
Loren

Postby b_b » September 29th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Agree but a fast runner going opposite can create a situation where there's not really enough time/room to stop and best option is avoidance. This is not a problem when everyone is attentive and cooperative. The trails are plenty wide enough if you just hug the right side. Now if you want to have some real fun all MI orv trails are 2-way. :shock:
b_b

Postby DNR_Maybury » September 29th, 2013, 9:04 pm

this was an unfortunate issue, FWIW we have had fewer incidents this year than in years past. My staff and I routinely tell people that want to walk the bike path to be carefully and watch for bikes. we do encourage them to use the hiking trails over the bile trails as the hiking trails are user specific. however hikers don't always listen. Also Don may be old but he's not slow, and you have a sweet bike :)
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby Leroi Brown » September 30th, 2013, 8:47 am

Loren wrote:Of course I wasn't there, so please don't take this as a specific criticism. I just want to make an observation for others reading this...

Uphill, downhill, blind corners, whatever - we need to be in control of our bikes and able to stop within the clear distance ahead at all times. This is an essential survival skill at places like Copper Harbor where most trails are bi-directional and you'll encounter people slowly climbing up the Flow at the same time you're railing the berms and soaring off the jumps at 20+ mph on your way down. It's still important down here. Around the corner there might be someone fixing a flat, a down tree, a trail runner, a deer, or even someone doing trailwork.

A hiker or runner is a lot more nimble and in general it's a lot easier for them to step aside when meeting a bike during a surprise encounter. That's what usually happens, but we shouldn't expect it. We need to be in control of our bikes, and everyone should do what they can to avoid a collision.

I totally agree with this sentiment, but it also needs to be considered that this is the "ideal" scenario. Unfortunately, there are just some trail segments - downhills, blind corners, loose gravel/sand sections - that just make this impossible, no matter how cautious or in-control you are of your bike. Unfortunately physics prevail.

We, as the faster traveling trail users do indeed need to have a heightened awareness of what is/may lie ahead on the trail, but this also goes for other trail users. If you're jogging/hiking on a mountainbike trail (which is totally okay), you should also have a heightened awareness that someone may be moving faster than you are on the trail and approaching you at a rapid pace, and be ready to spring into action.

I've not had any issues with other trail users at Maybury (I ride there a lot since it's a couple of miles from my house), but I can see how collisions or near-collisions can occur. There are many blind corners, steep little ups-and-downs, and some loose soil on the trail (which of course makes it fun to ride!) that add to the challenge of maintaining perfect control of your bike at every moment, even if you keep speed in check.

Maybury is one of the few places in the area that actually has separate trail systems for each user (mtb, hike, equestrian), so I don't understand why someone would choose to run/hike the mtb trail. But if they do, they share in the responsibility of keeping a heads-up for other trail users and moving aside when a collision may be eminent. Although we technically need to yield to all other users, the responsibility to use the trail safely is a shared responsibility.

That being said, Maybury is truly one of the gems of the metro area, so go ride it and enjoy!!
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby tony 340 » September 30th, 2013, 11:37 am

Rode yesterday.

About a 1-1.5 mile from the finish, on the left, growing on a stump I saw the coolest mushroom/fungus I've ever seen in the woods in michigan.

It is literally NEON orange, with a yellow rim. Looks like a montipora coral.

Crazy coloration. You'll see it on the left, it is right before a somewhat sandy, small climb.
tony 340

Postby bentmettle » September 30th, 2013, 12:24 pm

tony 340 wrote:Rode yesterday.

About a 1-1.5 mile from the finish, on the left, growing on a stump I saw the coolest mushroom/fungus I've ever seen in the woods in michigan.

It is literally NEON orange, with a yellow rim. Looks like a montipora coral.

Crazy coloration. You'll see it on the left, it is right before a somewhat sandy, small climb.

Did you taste it? :twisted:

Highland gets a lot of very bright growth as well. I'd really be into seeing a field guide of sorts to our trails, but thought the appeal might be limited.

Then again, a lot of us have near emotional attachments to our local trails and an effort highlighting the local history and wild things that live on, near, and in the woods might be really super cool.

edit:

as for previous conversation, I'm more ok with runners and joggers on the trail than I am with pets. It's great that they were leashed, but I wonder if it's added distraction and risk on a trail that has faster moving traffic that might need to be avoided. fortunately, not an issue for me to date.
/\/\att |3ushore
Another Assistant Trail Coordinator - Maybury State Park

http://www.bentmettle.com
bentmettle

Postby b_b » October 1st, 2013, 7:59 am

Just a few small puddles last night. Should be perfect today so get out and ride. Forgot what it's like to have good traction out there!
b_b

Postby Leroi Brown » October 1st, 2013, 8:59 am

Trail was tacky and fast when I rode later in the evening.....one tiny patch of mud was all I encountered. Tis the season for night riding!!
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby barry007 » October 1st, 2013, 4:19 pm

I've come across many slower riders, walkers and the occasional turkey (even an albino one) at maybury. i also love my strava and push it throughout. my solution is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-AirZound- ... 4d132a34fb

i swear by it - it's also great on beck or 8 mile with these crazy idiots in cars too. i had one dude screaming at me, spit coming out of his mouth, becasue i was in the left turn lane on northbound beck that i shouldnt be on the road on a bike. the horn really drowns out the yelling.
"You can't be defeated if you're still Fighting"
barry007

Postby b_b » October 1st, 2013, 6:59 pm

Oh that's a great solution and must make you tons of friends too. I know that screaming drewler also harassed me on Main Street going to Maybury. Guess he wants me to ride sidewalks in town. Oh sure that's much better. :roll:
b_b

Postby tony 340 » October 1st, 2013, 7:06 pm

I've seen that albino turkey as well as a couple <100lb. Deer.

Usually around mile 2.5-3. Before the second road crossing almost always.
tony 340

Postby mtnbiker007 » October 1st, 2013, 7:20 pm

My 2 cents on this "jogger" issue...

I am a runner first, mtn biking is more of my weekend hobby. I happen to love mtn biking at Maybury. Its a trail unlike most around Metro Detroit in regards to limited site distances and its many blind turns. I've experienced many of the same incidents others have complained about on this forum with "joggers". I figure its only a matter of time before there's a major collision and injury between biker/runner or biker/hiker. Its gonna happen. I just don't get it....from what I understand, Maybury was built by mtn bikers, its maintained by mtn bikers, and combined with its limited site lines and many blind turns to me....it only makes sense that it should be exclusively for mtn bikers. (How many "joggers" show up to a trail day???) This is especially true when Maybury has other options available to hikers and "joggers". You won't find me mtn biking on the horse trails, or the hiking trails....so why are hikers allowed on the mtn biking trails when they pose a rather obvious safety hazard?? If trail running is someones thing...there's many other options available (maybury hiking trails, island lake, poto), all which pose less of a safety hazard. I am saying this with a runners background....it shouldn't be a "jogging" trail.

I cant wait until next July when we'll not only have to deal with random foot traffic either coming at you, or away from you....but....we'll also have to deal with the handful of guys who'll start riding the trail backwards in anticipation of the upcoming TT, even tho, who knows what the course will be. It'll happen...
mtnbiker007

Postby CTB » October 2nd, 2013, 4:47 am

What happened to the rock jump that was in the first 3/4-mile of the trail? The big rock that used to make up the right side of the jump is gone. That was a fun little feature to get you going. I swear it was there last week. :(
CTB

Postby chisbang » October 2nd, 2013, 5:52 am

CTB wrote:What happened to the rock jump that was in the first 3/4-mile of the trail? The big rock that used to make up the right side of the jump is gone. That was a fun little feature to get you going. I swear it was there last week. :(

I noticed that too but didn't stop to look. It wasn't removed by us or the DNR that I know of. Maybe some outlaw trail engineer or maybe just erosion. I'll see if I can find the original rock and replace it. That's been a trail feature for years.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments