MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Maybury

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 28th, 2009, 1:05 pm

on mothers day? i wont be able to make it, ill be in ohio to visit mah mamma!!! lol i really wanted to help too. sorry
TEAMBAMF

Postby risnewski » April 28th, 2009, 1:10 pm

Sherpaboy wrote:I hope you'll all come out Sunday for the trailday (9:00 am at the main trail head parking lot). We just had a meeting with Tom the land manager about the trail and work that needs to be done. One major project is going to be "the pit". Were planning to elevate the trail there, creating a slightly banked turn and using dranage pipe under the trail. We'll need lots of help moving gravel to finish it all off .

We'll also be cutting back face slappers, knocking down burms, cleaing any dead fall, etc. We are planning to cook up some food after as well and maybe a ride.

BTW Dave P and I cut out 6 trees today...there was a new one added last night near the end. The big mutha was a lot of fun :roll: It took out 3-4 trees when it fell.

Sorry I didn't hear from you for today--I would have gladly helped you guys out. Sunday won't work for me unfortunately as I'll be at Fort Custer. Keep my cell phone handy for other projects.

In case I get another break in the schedule before Sunday, any particular section need some fixin' that can be done by one uncoordinated guy with a hand trimmer?
risnewski

Postby rocky roooad » April 29th, 2009, 8:49 am

has anyone been out there since yesterday? do you think it's still really muddy out there today?
rocky roooad

Postby i69whitey » April 29th, 2009, 9:08 am

TEAMBAMF wrote:on mothers day? i wont be able to make it, ill be in ohio to visit mah mamma!!! lol i really wanted to help too. sorry

trail day 5-3-09
mothers day 5-10-09
i69whitey

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 29th, 2009, 11:48 am

oh this sunday! yea i will try to make it out. so im guessing if i do make it out, i should bring shovels and what ever else i have?
TEAMBAMF

Postby bergsteiger » April 30th, 2009, 8:37 am

TEAMBAMF wrote:oh this sunday! yea i will try to make it out. so im guessing if i do make it out, i should bring shovels and what ever else i have?

here is the trailday thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=89877
bergsteiger

Postby Sherpaboy » April 30th, 2009, 9:05 am

In case I get another break in the schedule before Sunday, any particular section need some fixin' that can be done by one uncoordinated guy with a hand trimmer?

Thanks Rick,
Nothing really to be done this week except break down some of the berms and trim face slappers (and potential face slappers). The green is starting to come in quick...it will be overgrown before we know it.

Thanks again
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby Sherpaboy » April 30th, 2009, 9:08 am

Just in case...
Sunday May 3rd, 2009 - we have an official trail day at Maybury. We'll be looking at knocking down some berms and fixing some drainage issues. We'll also need several people to hike the trails trimming back face slappers and cleaning up trash.

I think our biggest project will be fixing the wet spot near the winter trail head. More details will be posted.

Date: Sunday 5/3/09
Time: 9:00am - 1PM (We'll organize @9am, have a bagel and head out by 9:30)
What: General trail work and maintenance

Please bring your work clothes, and some small tools. We'll bring the bagels and coffee...and lunch is on us too. Bring water and snacks for the day...we may plan on a group ride after as well

Where: Maybury State Park - Main trail head parking lot (8 mile entrance)

Feel free to shoot questions to me as well sherpaboy@trails-edge.com
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby Loren » May 3rd, 2009, 7:30 pm

Great time at the trailday today, we got a lot accomplished. The mud pit is no more! Thanks to all who came out and trimmed and moved mud and logs.

My photos
Loren

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 3rd, 2009, 8:01 pm

I hate to report the need for more trail work after a wonderful trail day, but there is a decent sized tree (10") around the 5.5 mile marker. the new berm is soft and there will surely be a need to fill in some of the pizza cutters that were laid down when I went through. The trail was in pristine condition. I had an awesome after trailwork/picnic ride!
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby Sherpaboy » May 3rd, 2009, 10:15 pm

Huge thank you to all the volunteers who helped today...Yes the biggest project was the mud pit...But we also had a lot of people trimming and knocking down berms (water holding berms) to help the rest of the trail.

Now the big ole mud pit will still get some tweaking and added limestone once we get the top few layers compacted a bit. I rode after with Joe (Hockey Daddy) and Dave (OD). We did see the downed tree in the Sanatorium. I think Dave and i can cut that out this week...if the DNR doesn't beat us to it.

Again I can't say enough about the amount of work and problem solving that came out of the group today...Thanks again
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby zimm » May 4th, 2009, 10:44 am

The trail is in great shape, to all that worked on it. GREAT JOB
zimm

Postby specialized08 » May 4th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Just finished up my ride today.. For starters thanks to all of those who kept up the shape of the track, it's running extremely well and is in great condition.

Few things: The new bridges by the old mud pit are awesome! The trail looked to give a few people some issues as I passed a few and asked if they needed any help. Some loose gravel on various turns might give some people some issues so keep your heads up.

Also, around marker 5.5 just after there is a large tree still down (just noticed someone beat me to talking about it)
specialized08

Postby TEAMBAMF » May 5th, 2009, 8:23 am

Went out after work yesterday, around 6:30pm. There was alot of people out there, even a big group of about 10 ppl. Trail was good, all the rocks and roots are coming to the surface now which makes in interesting!!! The only silly thing about the trail is the tree down near the last couple miles.
TEAMBAMF

Postby specialized08 » May 5th, 2009, 1:09 pm

TEAMBAMF wrote:Went out after work yesterday, around 6:30pm. There was alot of people out there, even a big group of about 10 ppl. Trail was good, all the rocks and roots are coming to the surface now which makes in interesting!!! The only silly thing about the trail is the tree down near the last couple miles.

I went out again this morning and obviously it rode the same as yesterday. But I agree with you on the rocks and roots.. The dirt is starting to get hard so some of those underlying rocks are popping up and out of place. Next fews days should be good to get a few more rides in :)
specialized08

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions