MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Maybury

Postby Albatross » April 24th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Rode this morning (11:15-ish) and except for the large mud hole(s) near the winter trailhead (between miles 2 and 3), the trail is in perfect shape.

It was nice to get out there early (before the heat of this afternoon) and essentially have the trail to myself.
Albatross

Postby Eirene » April 25th, 2009, 2:07 pm

Rode this morning (before the rain), trail was in pretty good condition except for 2 very large mud areas, the 2nd is worse than the 1st. These areas are on the new section, after the paved cutout and just as you hit the 180 degree turn heading back. You really need to dismount and find the most solid way around. The trail has been damaged pretty bad by people riding straight through and a few feet to the left or right. One section of the deep groves looks like it could be close to a foot deep...
Eirene

Postby risnewski » April 26th, 2009, 6:43 am

I cleared some deadfall and face slappers on the winter loop after the 6:30 storm yesterday. This section is clear of downed trees but the Park guy tells me there's a large one down near the tricycle towards the summer trail head.

The first section off the winter trail head is severely damaged. A portion of it is over 30 feet wide now from folks trying to get around the mud. It's going to take some work to repair that area. Dave and Mike, post up if you have any plans for doing work out there and I'll try to join you.
risnewski

Postby dirt_magnet » April 26th, 2009, 8:39 am

We rode the trail yesterday between the storms, and overall it had drained pretty well. We avoided the little mud puddles easily.

There are a few trees down in the last section. The first is down 1.25 miles after the 2nd paved trail, and the 2nd set of downed trees (there are, I think, 3) are down 2.1 miles after the 2nd paved trail.

The first tree down is HUGE, and it is going to take a lot of work. It is partially resting on some smaller trees, and the area to the right of the trail is very unstable. The good news is that you can get around it to the left (off bike).

Echo the comments about the mud. We bushwacked around the 2 mud patches, but it looks like many people have gone through, and it is a mess. When you go around, stay to the right (uphill) side. people had clearly gone around on the downhill side, and it is a mess too.
dirt_magnet

Postby Sherpaboy » April 26th, 2009, 3:39 pm

Rick,
I think were going to plan on heading out there Tuesday morning for some brain storming...maybe a meeting with the staff too. I wouldn't mind just using Tuesday to look at fixes for that mud spot and cutting out some dead fall.

Probably 9-9:30 ish...I'll try to post up.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby JohnnyC » April 26th, 2009, 8:04 pm

stay off the trail for a few days its a muddy soup mess. That tree is massive. It didnt go down without a fight. Neither did the other 3-5 trees after the 4.5 mile mark
JohnnyC

Postby spin doctor » April 26th, 2009, 9:32 pm

Agreed. There is no easy way around the fallen trees no matter how airborne you get and the mud is almost as bad. Better to wait until later in the week after the next two days of rain are behind us.
spin doctor

Postby rocky roooad » April 27th, 2009, 11:50 am

so I take it Maybury isn't rideable this evening? :(
rocky roooad

Postby JohnnyC » April 27th, 2009, 12:04 pm

pretty trashed from the mud and the tree fall make it impassible in a couple of spots needs to dry and be chain sawed.
JohnnyC

Postby scat silvurz » April 27th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Lynda was riding during the storm, and saw THAT big tree fall down and block the whole trail.....Her comment about her near-possible squashing was "I'm glad I'm not faster, otherwise, I'd be under that tree"..........

Sometimes you get lucky!
scat silvurz

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 27th, 2009, 12:47 pm

The maybury monster sounds like a mess right now!!! i was going to ride today and tomorow but i think ill let it regain its posture.
TEAMBAMF

Postby Bryan_Mitchell » April 27th, 2009, 3:05 pm

I just rode Maybury. Its mostly dry, except a couple small spots here and there and the mud hole. I tried to move the bigger tree, just not strong enough. :) LOL.
Several trees down, none that sneak up on you. If you drive quite awhile to get to Maybury I would wait, if you ride there have fun. Just be ready to hike-a-bike in a couple spots.
Oh, the wind sucks riding there.
Bryan

PS, I'm glad Lynda didn't go squish!
Bryan_Mitchell

Postby scat silvurz » April 28th, 2009, 10:05 am

Rode Maybury on 04/27/09, Monday. The trail is in fantastic shape, except for that one off camber wet muck pit near the beck rd. trailhead [re-route city! I think the hard packed trail is holding up, or acting like a dam, a lot of the water draining down inside that slope, and pooling where the hard pack "dam" trail resides].

Funny note, upon riding in from the 8 mile lot on the paved path, a guy exiting the trail on the same pathway, seriously, but excitedly warned us - literally in a frenzied panic, that "OMG!!! THERE ARE FIVE!!! TREEEES!! DOWN!!! ONNNN!!!! THE!!!! TRAAAAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

To which I replied, "ARE YOU SURE?????!!!!"

fyi, there were only four.........I rode over the 5th.....
scat silvurz

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 28th, 2009, 11:42 am

sounds like a mess! and the rain isnt stopping
TEAMBAMF

Postby Sherpaboy » April 28th, 2009, 12:33 pm

I hope you'll all come out Sunday for the trailday (9:00 am at the main trail head parking lot). We just had a meeting with Tom the land manager about the trail and work that needs to be done. One major project is going to be "the pit". Were planning to elevate the trail there, creating a slightly banked turn and using dranage pipe under the trail. We'll need lots of help moving gravel to finish it all off .

We'll also be cutting back face slappers, knocking down burms, cleaing any dead fall, etc. We are planning to cook up some food after as well and maybe a ride.

BTW Dave P and I cut out 6 trees today...there was a new one added last night near the end. The big mutha was a lot of fun :roll: It took out 3-4 trees when it fell.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions