MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby ozeejp » September 13th, 2013, 8:45 pm

By the time I rolled through, the only major obstruction left was the thigh high limbo tree at the end of the first segment. Passed the guys working hard to get everything cleared. Thank you guys for the hard work. The trail was in great shape tonight!
ozeejp

Postby DNR_Maybury » September 13th, 2013, 9:18 pm

thanks to all that helped with the cleanup, I'll call the staff tomorrow and let them know about the last tree.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby mjbl » September 15th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Rode this AM, trail was very nice and fast. Rains today should not prevent riding on Monday unless rain gets heavier.
Wake up happy.
mjbl

Postby b_b » September 18th, 2013, 8:39 am

Yes indeed trail and weather were perfect last night. Passed two Walmart fatbikes. Looked like motorcycle tire tracks. That's some serious rolling resistance. Riders looked pretty tired after the 2nd climb lol.
b_b

Postby poirier » September 21st, 2013, 3:30 pm

Trail is in good shape – Just a few muddy spots.
poirier

Postby BLOOMIS914 » September 22nd, 2013, 5:27 pm

Trail was in great shape sun afternoon. Nice and tacky corners, real fast and great grip.
"Speed doesn't kill, it is the sudden stop that gets you"
BLOOMIS914

Postby ChrisInYpsi » September 28th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Fantastic shape!
ChrisInYpsi

Postby lawn dart » September 28th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Trail is in great shape.

Ride, ride, ride! Winter will be here all too soon.
lawn dart

Postby BLOOMIS914 » September 28th, 2013, 10:03 pm

Trail was great today.
I had a very unfortunate incident with a male jogger and his girlfriend who was jogging with dog on leash. Male refused to move in inch off center line when I came around blind corner of very fast downhill section I braked and swerved and he still made sure he clipped my shoulder with his while I ran off trail and managed to stay upright. No question the contact was intentional. He made no attempt to move and acted like an Ann Arbor pedestrian proceeding to tell me his rights to the trail. Riders beware. This is not the first time I have almost run over a jogger here. I always try to yield to anyone on the trail coming at me but seriously!?? It took every ounce of self control to remount and ride away and not have a serious trailside "discussion".

Reminder to all MTBers that Maybury is a "multi-use trail" and if you ride it enough you will come across wrong way joggers exercising their rights.
Last edited by BLOOMIS914 on September 28th, 2013, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLOOMIS914

Postby Cdoug » September 28th, 2013, 10:46 pm

Sorry to hear about your run in with the jogger. I also made it to maybury today and it was my first ride there. Also had an encounter with a fellow mtn biker. The last set of section where the trail splits and begins to wind its way up and down the hill before exiting to the trail head, the spandex fella thought it would be awesome if he just rode my back wheel without announcing his attention to pass. After a few moments I asked and then he blew by on my left without any word of thanks. I reminded him that it's common courtesy to announce your intentions, but the jack wagon didn't seem to care. Otherwise the trail was great
Cdoug

Postby b_b » September 29th, 2013, 12:09 am

He should have said thanks, but another perspective is perhaps he did not consider that a safe spot to pass and therefore did not ask for it. I ride here 1-2 times a week and bad encounters are the rare exception. Most people are very considerate and cordial.
b_b

Postby chisbang » September 29th, 2013, 5:36 am

Cdoug wrote:Sorry to hear about your run in with the jogger. I also made it to maybury today and it was my first ride there. Also had an encounter with a fellow mtn biker. The last set of section where the trail splits and begins to wind its way up and down the hill before exiting to the trail head, the spandex fella thought it would be awesome if he just rode my back wheel without announcing his attention to pass. After a few moments I asked and then he blew by on my left without any word of thanks. I reminded him that it's common courtesy to announce your intentions, but the jack wagon didn't seem to care. Otherwise the trail was great

Being old and slow I have lots of experience being overtaken by faster riders. The majority who pass me do not announce themselves. They assume I know they're there, which I usually do, but not always. For me a perfect scenario is the Speed Demon says "Hi I'm back here and I'd like to pass when it's safe for both of us." I reply "I'll move over to the right, you take it on the left. How many riders are there?". He says "Two more" or whatever. This happened to me last Sunday at Maybury and I was quite surprised! But most people are at least courteous enough to say "On you left" as they pass.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby lawn dart » September 29th, 2013, 1:25 pm

BLOOMIS914 wrote:...Reminder to all MTBers that Maybury is a "multi-use trail" and if you ride it enough you will come across wrong way joggers exercising their rights.
Really?! Dang, I was not aware. :oops:
Seems that is a recipe for disaster (or an opportunity for a 'tough guy').
lawn dart

Postby b_b » September 29th, 2013, 2:36 pm

lawn dart wrote:
BLOOMIS914 wrote:...Reminder to all MTBers that Maybury is a "multi-use trail" and if you ride it enough you will come across wrong way joggers exercising their rights.

Really?! Dang, I was not aware. :oops:
Seems that is a recipe for disaster (or an opportunity for a 'tough guy').

Yep most MI mtb trails are multi-use. If i come across said jogger and have to choose between him and a tree he's going to get a rude awakening. Nothing tough about it. Actually the opposite. People give. Trees don't!
b_b

Postby BLOOMIS914 » September 29th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Jogger definitely got the worst of it as I realized he was not moving so I firmed up my shoulder and braced for impact as the trees were tight on my left his side had several feet off the trail. Why would anyone put themselves or dog at risk for a major collision, injury or serious trail side discussion and run walk or hike the mtb trails. I have seen two joggers this season with earbuds in running the same direction as traffic and were clueless as I approached yelling rider back. I always treat everyone with respect when riding and try to be a good steward of the sport. These @$$clowns make for exciting and unpredictable trail features which only help improve my cat like reflexes and bike handling skills.
BLOOMIS914

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments