MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Maybury

Postby kcnado » April 18th, 2009, 7:41 am

Trail is in great condition right now! Surprised to see the normal sandy corners so dry already though... took a turn a bit too fast :-/

The one wet spot seems to get worse each year, esp the trail widening this year. Ever think about running logs across the trail, or dumping some dirt material over it? Pontiac Lake dumped sand or dirt material over a regular wet spot around mile 6-7 and it is WONDERFUL!

Just a suggestion!
kcnado

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » April 18th, 2009, 8:34 am

I was thinking something similar when I came to that mud spot in an otherwise completely dry trail. I think it would be cool to run an arched skinny on the side. it would help reduce trail widening, not affect drainage, and keep my bike dry. it may also make for some comical falls into some soft mud. it would be quick to put in (I'd help).
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 18th, 2009, 9:08 am

ya i went out there yesterday after work, there was quite alot of people out there, that mud spot sux!!! i got off and walked around it, but it seems to be getting worse every time i go out. Other than that it was awesome!!!
TEAMBAMF

Postby jlovett » April 18th, 2009, 10:30 pm

I rode it today and did two laps. The first one was great, the second not so great. I had a flat on mile four thanks to a thorn and my CO2 inflater failed me. Thanks to the guy from the '"D" for your help. Be prepared with a pump,tubes etc. there are a ton of thorns out there.
jlovett

Postby specialized08 » April 19th, 2009, 9:10 am

HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:I was thinking something similar when I came to that mud spot in an otherwise completely dry trail. I think it would be cool to run an arched skinny on the side. it would help reduce trail widening, not affect drainage, and keep my bike dry. it may also make for some comical falls into some soft mud. it would be quick to put in (I'd help).

I second that idea- I'm hoping to get out there today before the rain comes and we have our forecasted 4 days of water :(
specialized08

Postby deuxdiesel » April 19th, 2009, 10:54 am

I rode there yesterday as well, probably my 6th or 7th time there ever, and I just love it more each time. Whoever did all the clearing of those huge trees that were all around the aforementioned muddy spot deserves a big pat on the back- thank you! As mentioned, except for that one mud spot, the trail is in awesome shape- maybe that should be like a CX carry feature? I love the vibe of Maybury- there were groups of freeriders, families with kids, groups of beginners, and all of it good. No snobbery like at several other trails in the area.
deuxdiesel

Postby Sherpaboy » April 19th, 2009, 12:18 pm

I was thinking something similar when I came to that mud spot in an otherwise completely dry trail. I think it would be cool to run an arched skinny on the side. it would help reduce trail widening, not affect drainage, and keep my bike dry. it may also make for some comical falls into some soft mud. it would be quick to put in (I'd help).

Sorry I don't see a skinny going in there...I understand the idea, and appreciate the enthusiasm. But that spot is usually a very fast section with out a lot of options for going above or below the line we have right now. There is a horse trail in the left (river side) about 20 feet away, and the other section of trail is just up hill from there too. Plus I would say that section needs a fix that is in keeping with the already established flow it usually has. I have a few ideas and will be meeting with Dave P and the DNR to see if/what we can do.

My first idea is to use the dead fall from up hill and creating a banked turn that will elevate us up a little and allow us to give proper drainage to that spot...I think the problem is an over flowing spring just up hill from the trail.

I rode there yesterday as well, probably my 6th or 7th time there ever, and I just love it more each time. Whoever did all the clearing of those huge trees that were all around the aforementioned muddy spot deserves a big pat on the back- thank you! As mentioned, except for that one mud spot, the trail is in awesome shape- maybe that should be like a CX carry feature? I love the vibe of Maybury- there were groups of freeriders, families with kids, groups of beginners, and all of it good. No snobbery like at several other trails in the area.

Thanks, The DNR staff helped a ton last winter cutting most of those trees out as well as Mr. Rick Blowing, and Dave Poirier. I just cut out the last dead fall a few days ago.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby deuxdiesel » April 19th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Then you are Da' MAN!!! I like the idea of some sort of banked turn there, even if it were of plank construction, which would really allow the drainage.
deuxdiesel

Postby cdaniels » April 20th, 2009, 7:30 am

I lost my bike bag this weekend on the trail I think it was after the mud pit, the bag is a Novara it had a spare tube and a multi-tool, could you please email (chaddaniels@mac.com) me if you have found it thank you.
cdaniels

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 20th, 2009, 8:20 am

Maybury has already claimed soo many items this season!!! lol its just eating everthing up! soon we will have a missing rider. lol Maybury monster
TEAMBAMF

Postby deuxdiesel » April 20th, 2009, 12:16 pm

Last year I lost a multi-tool ($20) plus a VW flip key ($300!) at the same time. I did find the $3 inner tube that was in the same pouch however.
deuxdiesel

Postby jumpstumper » April 23rd, 2009, 3:50 pm

Any word on trail conditions for this afternoon? It rained a lot earlier in the week. Does it need until tomorrow to dry out? I had assumed to wait another day, but it has been pretty sunny today and Maybury tends to drain fairly well (other than the aforementioned mud pit, of course.)
jumpstumper

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 23rd, 2009, 4:43 pm

I think most of the trail should be good by tommorow evening!!! but that wet spot between 2 and 3 miles is going to be nasty for the next few days.
TEAMBAMF

Postby specialized08 » April 24th, 2009, 12:24 am

TEAMBAMF wrote:I think most of the trail should be good by tommorow evening!!! but that wet spot between 2 and 3 miles is going to be nasty for the next few days.

I have to cut the grass and do some yard work in the early AM today but after I plan on at least checking out the conditions (Noon to 1PM is when i'll be there)- I'll post up assuming someone else doesn't beat me to it
specialized08

Postby TEAMBAMF » April 24th, 2009, 10:06 am

sounds good, let us know.
TEAMBAMF

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions