MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Wed. 12/31

Postby Steve_Balogh » December 31st, 2008, 5:43 pm

Very icy, lots of downed trees. When you enter the trail on the left from the Beck Road entrance, that entire section between the first entry point to the old trail head further up the dirt road was hammered pretty good by the wind, there's many trees down through there. I had studs on my bike and Yak Traks on my feet. It was great having those on my feet as I found many other areas of downed trees where I had to dismount and sometimes climb over and through them. The snow depth varies, for the most part it's not deep at all, but I did find a few pockets of some deeper snow. Also watch the deadfall, came close to breaking some spokes and the deraillure in one of the hard hit areas. Some areas have some nasty frozen footprints, I recommend using studs, but I did happen to see a third set of fresh tire tracks that looked like semislick/hardpack tread :shock: .
Steve_Balogh

Postby risnewski » January 2nd, 2009, 4:49 pm

I hiked the "winter" loop today and cleared all the deadfall that I could. There are still several trees that need a saw. A couple are at the start of the winter loop and the others after the pavement crossing near Seven Mile Rd. The fast drop just before the winter entrance by the dam is a mess and is going to require a chain saw and a couple volunteers to make it rideable.

The trail surface looks pretty good--light snow covering over ice on much of the trail. No bare spots on the winter loop.
risnewski

Postby scat silvurz » January 4th, 2009, 9:39 am

Maybury is awesome right now, very little deep snow sections, and minor frozen hikerprints to jar yer eyeballs. However, studded tires are definitely required! But, with studs it's grip city.

There are 5 or 6 major blowdowns, but easy to hike a bike over/around. With a little icy rain today to further shine it up, the trail should be even better for all you with your Nokians.
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby sklevorn » January 6th, 2009, 9:40 pm

Sorry to disagree scat - took a lap tonight - it needs a crew to clear all the deadfall, the foot prints are up there w/ yellow at ILRA, and some jack@$$ rode it during the thaw a week or so ago and dropped a fat pizza cutter in. My opinion...
sklevorn

Postby daffunda » January 6th, 2009, 10:24 pm

it only takes one dumbass to ruin everything.
daffunda

Postby Paul Brown » January 7th, 2009, 7:56 am

sklevorn wrote:Sorry to disagree scat - took a lap tonight - it needs a crew to clear all the deadfall, the foot prints are up there w/ yellow at ILRA, and some jack@$$ rode it during the thaw a week or so ago and dropped a fat pizza cutter in. My opinion...

Off season man, ever hear of it? :wink: Its what makes riding fresh in the spring. Take a break Mr. Klevorn, you will be dropping us all soon enough.
Paul Brown

maybury

Postby Chef Dave » January 7th, 2009, 8:11 am

It is our intention (the DNR and Myself) to clear as much trail today as possible, I will do what I can.
MMBA Trail Coordinator for Maybury State Park and Titus Racer X rider.
Chef Dave

Re: maybury

Postby risnewski » January 7th, 2009, 8:21 am

Chef Dave wrote:It is our intention (the DNR and Myself) to clear as much trail today as possible, I will do what I can.

Are we still on for 10:00? Beck Road entrance?
risnewski

maybury

Postby Chef Dave » January 7th, 2009, 8:49 am

yes we are
MMBA Trail Coordinator for Maybury State Park and Titus Racer X rider.
Chef Dave

Postby mbrown3 » January 7th, 2009, 8:58 am

Paul Brown wrote:
sklevorn wrote:Sorry to disagree scat - took a lap tonight - it needs a crew to clear all the deadfall, the foot prints are up there w/ yellow at ILRA, and some jack@$$ rode it during the thaw a week or so ago and dropped a fat pizza cutter in. My opinion...

Off season man, ever hear of it? :wink: Its what makes riding fresh in the spring. Take a break Mr. Klevorn, you will be dropping us all soon enough.

I second this. SK, this is the off season. Frozen footprints, deadfall, ice and such doesn't sound like it makes for an enjoyable ride to me. Plus, my bike doesn't like cold weather. It told me so. 8)
mbrown3

Maybury

Postby MikeBl » January 7th, 2009, 9:39 am

If the trail is in danger of being damaged, ride someplace else. I have been watching the forum and Trail Guide. So far in January, the only venue I have taken is Hickory Glenn, aka Commerce. Rode it this past Fri,Sat and Monday. Done w/o studs, a bit less air pressure and H/T.
Just my 2 cents.
Ventana El Toro/Burton Custom X - Two of my three favoriite rides
MikeBl

Postby daffunda » January 7th, 2009, 10:08 am

Some people just can't stand not riding on the trail for some reason, and they have to just fudge up the trail. Either they feel threatened that their riding skill or endurance will decrease if they don't ride, or they just need to ride for some reason.

This the first season that the trail is open during the winter. Lets not lose that.

Go spin, or buy a roller and put your bike on it. It is not that hard. If the conditions are bad and if you really have to hit the trail with your studs, go find someplace else. :roll:
daffunda

Postby sklevorn » January 7th, 2009, 11:40 am

Clarification - The pizza cutter was only in spots and was a hardpacked snow pizza cutter formed by the rain that occurred while there was significant snowcover - nowhere near down to the ground. There is so much ice cover there is currently no risk of trail damage. At some point during the spring thaw the "stay off the trail" statement will certainly be valid - Unfortunately common sense is a hard thing to teach?

Brothers Brown - Good to hear from you. I'm just enjoying the outdoors and trying to keep the cycle of beer in balance. I try to excersise indoors and it just depresses me. In the spring, when the carbides come off and the hammers go on - that'll be fresh.

Trail Crew - Thanks in advance.
sklevorn

Postby scat silvurz » January 7th, 2009, 11:41 am

ahhk! The frozen footprints weren't THAT bad [and yes, I was on a hardtail!], and the 5 or so deadfalls were no biggie to get off the bike and walk over - all while feeling the sunshine and breathing in that fresh cool air......Sure beats sitting inside on a boring trainer.....

I guess some folk aren't as hardy-minded for winter trail riding... :wink:
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Maybury

Postby ibisman » January 7th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Geez the B/S has already started and it's just Jan. crap. :cry:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails