MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby deezler » July 25th, 2013, 9:58 pm

Rode tonight. Since I finally pieced together where the fork/split was, I intentionally doubled back towards the winter trailhead for 1.5 total laps or so. Stopped to look at the trail map there - kinda hard to see where you are at. Since I know the trail, it was obvious, but it's just a small circle showing the "you are here".

Trail was in good shape. Only a couple mud puddles that you actually end up riding through, the majority are drying out and have a defined line through them. Few leaners and face slappers here and there, but overall a very enjoyable ride.
deezler

Postby jwhitey » July 27th, 2013, 9:15 am

I rode a lap backwards last night. The trail was clear and only a couple puddles remained. It started raining while I was on the trail and the ride home was a wet one. Second time caught in the rain this summer and this time I didn't have what I needed to fabricate fenders. I don't think it rained enough to make the trail too bad today.
jwhitey

Postby DNR_Maybury » July 27th, 2013, 11:49 am

Just to let you all know if you plan to ride this afternoon/evening we are have a large race at 5 p.m. this afternoon. The runners will not be on your trails, but they will be running on the paved trails and hiking trails. So if you come out you might encounter a large group of runners on your way to the trails.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby deezler » July 28th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Going to bring my bike to work tomorrow (Monday) in hopes of a mostly dry-ish 5pm ride. Any locals have insight?
deezler

Postby JJJerry » July 29th, 2013, 12:41 pm

I rode it yesterday. It was the wettest I've ridden it all season... but was very ridable. Probably 15 spots with fairly minor puddles. That was early, I expect it's tried a bunch by now.
JJJerry

Postby tony 340 » July 29th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Trail was great tonite. Great grip.

Couple soft spots.

The one puddle at 4.5 ish that is always there.

Other than that....nothin much.
tony 340

Postby deezler » July 29th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Ditto to Tony's report, trail is fast and 99% excellent. That 4.5-mi mud-pud at the bottom of the fast 2-jump downhill is a speed buzzkill, but also kinda fun to surf through. Rocked my first full 2-lap on a near empty trail this afternoon. It really gets busier after 5:30pm tho.
deezler

Postby IronMike » July 30th, 2013, 11:39 am

Also rode yesterday and trail is in great shape except for three large puddles. The one above, one later on when you go right at the double trail split, and one earlier before the first road crossing.

Anyone know if it helps to throw bark and other forest droppings on the puddles?
IronMike

Postby iamkickstand » July 30th, 2013, 12:38 pm

IronMike wrote:Anyone know if it helps to throw bark and other forest droppings on the puddles?

No, if you want to try and help put dirt in the puddle.
iamkickstand

Postby utabintarbo » July 30th, 2013, 1:03 pm

iamkickstand wrote:
IronMike wrote:Anyone know if it helps to throw bark and other forest droppings on the puddles?

That will just make mud. :(

The best way to quickly deal with something like this is a corduroy bridge (laying small sticks/branches across the trail perpendicular to traffic flow), but those suck. Better to cut a small trench to drain the puddle downslope and/or fill the depression with limestone and cover with clay. Another alternative (if materials are available) is to make a small rock garden.
utabintarbo

Postby c0nsumer » July 30th, 2013, 1:03 pm

No. This just turns it into a puddle full of loose, decaying, potentially floating stuff.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Leroi Brown » July 30th, 2013, 1:33 pm

This seems like something that should be approved and handled by the Maybury Trail Coordinator, since it involved modifying the trail tread.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby IronMike » July 30th, 2013, 4:01 pm

Yes, I will not be packing any heavy supplies or tools. I was just willing to do my best at a field repair. I guess I'll just slog through and go for KOM, but mark me down for trail day.
IronMike

Postby iamkickstand » July 30th, 2013, 5:22 pm

utabintarbo wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:

That will just make mud. :(

The best way to quickly deal with something like this is a corduroy bridge (laying small sticks/branches across the trail perpendicular to traffic flow), but those suck. Better to cut a small trench to drain the puddle downslope and/or fill the depression with limestone and cover with clay. Another alternative (if materials are available) is to make a small rock garden.

Not if you put enough dirt in, and cut a releif in the puddle to allow most of the water to drain before you fill it in and then properly pack it down.

Laying a corduroy bridge of sticks in a mud puddle sucks to ride on. (as you said). It's not a proper fix, I can't stand when people do stupid stuff like that.
iamkickstand

Postby chisbang » July 30th, 2013, 7:11 pm

On Saturday August 10 at 9:00 we will be prepping the trail for the Maybury Time Trial Race the following Saturday. We need a few hands to help trim and mow and maybe fill in some of these mud holes. Meeting place to determined soon. Stay tuned for details.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments