MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 22nd, 2013, 11:21 am

I haven't looked at the maps posted at Maybury in a while, but I always find it helpful when riding unfamiliar trails if the maps clearly mark your present location - something like "you are here". It can sometimes get confusing on twisty trails or ones with many intersections (which isn't an issue at Maybury of course) to know where you are on the map.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby iamkickstand » July 22nd, 2013, 11:33 am

IronMike wrote:We need a clear left arrow titled:
"Main Trail"
and a clear right arrow titled:
"Alternate Trail (does not return to Main Trail Head)".

This would make it clear at a glance that you should probably go left, and curious beginners may choose to stop and learn what this "Alternate Trail" is all about. I'd avoid the term "shortcut", which sounds attractive to beginners since it implies a shorter way to the "end" which it is not.

Agreed, a simple "trail head" and an arrow, and a "re loop" or whatever arrow the other way

also agree on shortcut verbage.
iamkickstand

Postby bentmettle » July 22nd, 2013, 12:20 pm

IronMike wrote: I'd avoid the term "shortcut", which sounds attractive to beginners since it implies a shorter way to the "end" which it is not.

Agree about avoiding "Shortcut". I'll post up a new thread with any proposed changes for comment.

Thanks to everyone that's made suggestions and provided feedback. We don't have many formal feedback mechanisms, so these anecdotal stories are useful to get a qualitative idea of what's happening on the trail.
/\/\att |3ushore
Another Assistant Trail Coordinator - Maybury State Park

http://www.bentmettle.com
bentmettle

Postby b_b » July 22nd, 2013, 12:30 pm

bentmettle wrote:
IronMike wrote: I'd avoid the term "shortcut", which sounds attractive to beginners since it implies a shorter way to the "end" which it is not.

GOOD point! I always ride in from Beck so it's a shortcut (for me). :) This is a unique situation.
b_b

Postby chisbang » July 22nd, 2013, 12:33 pm

gman122889 wrote:I also did the same thing when I was there a few weeks ago. I don't think there is adequate signage that can direct someone on the fly.

There was a sign pointing out the left option as returning to trail head but it vanished. I am working on replacing it.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby b_b » July 22nd, 2013, 12:59 pm

chisbang wrote:There was a sign pointing out the left option as returning to trail head but it vanished. I am working on replacing it.

Mystery solved LOL.
b_b

Postby EnRaz » July 22nd, 2013, 1:31 pm

IronMike wrote:Before I started, a rider coming off the trail warned me there was a low branch to watch out for. I saw no downed trees or branches, so I assume he was referring to the usual "duck points". The caution tape is gone from tricky tepee near the end, but duck there anyways.

A week or so ago there was what some would consider a "low branch" right at the beginning of the high speed section just before the second paved path crossing (where the rest hut is). For us taller guys, the branch is (was?) a serious issue as it could cause some major bodily harm to someone not looking far enough ahead. The high speed that I and many others typically carry there means that if you don't notice it in time you will not have enough time & space to duck/break and avoid the branch. Maybe it's been removed since I saw it, but if not, this very well may be what he/she was referring to.
~Nick

"It is a tragedy of the world that a man does not know what he does not know. And the less a man knows, the more sure he is that he knows everything."
EnRaz

Postby ggt1_02 » July 22nd, 2013, 7:33 pm

bentmettle wrote:
Agree about avoiding "Shortcut". I'll post up a new thread with any proposed changes for comment.

Thanks to everyone that's made suggestions and provided feedback. We don't have many formal feedback mechanisms, so these anecdotal stories are useful to get a qualitative idea of what's happening on the trail.

I first rode the trail three seasons ago and when my riding partner and I approached what we call the "B" loop cut-out we started up the trail toward what we know now as the winter trailhead. We quickly realized something was wrong and went back to the split. Fortunately a more seasoned rider set us straight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
"Demonstrate to the world there is "No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy" than a U.S. Marine." General James N. Mattis 2003
ggt1_02

Postby Steve_Balogh » July 22nd, 2013, 9:50 pm

Just got back from a ride tonight, finished around 9PM. Excellent shape, fast conditions. Some small muddy spots drying up, no issues.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Leroi Brown » July 23rd, 2013, 8:59 am

It rained buckets this morning (I live 3 miles form the trail), and is supposed to rain some more, so conditions may be a bit muddy today.
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby IronMike » July 23rd, 2013, 6:16 pm

I'm in the parking lot now and it seems there's a lot of bike carriers here. But the group coming off right now is covered in mud. They said it's no problem riding through the puddles on the straight sections, just watch for the muddy corners. I am going to try Hickory Glen.
IronMike

Postby JohnnyC » July 23rd, 2013, 9:07 pm

I was on it today. Pretty wet-holding in lots of puddles. It could use a day or so to dry out. There was also a tree down across the trail between 4.25 and 4.75 sign Somewhere just after the wooden "A" frame jump and before the rock piles-if that makes sense. I did my best impression of "I pick things up and put them down." But it was too much for me. needs a chain saw or 2 tough guys/gals
JohnnyC

Postby irishpitbull » July 23rd, 2013, 9:18 pm

Some puddles but overall not bad. The tree is on a fast section and it caught me by surprise. I was able to hop it (would not have stopped in time) could have been an epic crash.
14 S-Works Epic
14 Yeti ARC-C
13 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
15 Borealis Echo Carbondale
irishpitbull

Postby Dirtdevil » July 24th, 2013, 8:29 pm

Trail is clear of downed trees, but there are a few mega-mud puddles/mud pits that are so big, deep & wide that they are a danger to ride through.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby mrbikester » July 24th, 2013, 9:06 pm

We rode at Addison Oaks today and just to let others know, that trail had NO mud and NO standing water at all after the recent rain. That trail has had so much work done to it that it drains better than any other trail and man is it fun to ride. WE love the flow of that trail and always enjoy riding there. Give it a try if you haven't been there.
mrbikester

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments