MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby iamkickstand » July 20th, 2013, 7:43 pm

slukomski wrote:Trail was still pretty muddy at 4:00. Not too much fun. Had to keep slamming on the brakes before the mud/standing water killing all momentum. You won't reach a PB today.

What? Both my fiance and I rode pr's today.
iamkickstand

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 21st, 2013, 11:45 am

Good shape this morning. A few mud/soft spots but most are smallish. Only large one I can recall is at the bottom of the hill after the new sweet jump by the shortcut.

Lots of riders and hikers taking advantage of the milder weather.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby iamkickstand » July 21st, 2013, 3:47 pm

2 questions about maybury.....Let me first start out by reiterating that this is one of my favorite local trails, even though I only get to ride it about 1-2 times per year. It flows, its technical, its fast and smooth, it's slightly rough, its tight and twisty, its open, its dry, it has puddles, etc. it's a GREAT trail and the people who are maintaining it are doing a great job.

1. For someone who had no idea that there is a short cut to re-loop part of the trail, why is that more clearly defined/marked for those of us somewhat unfamiliar with the trail? My Fiance who was just behind me on a lap accidentally took the "re-loop" yesterday, which left me sitting at the trail head wondering if she was ok, knowing she should pop out of the trail about 5-10 minutes behind me, then when i started in on the trail backwards and no one had seen her it was a bit un-nerving.

2. Why did someone build a ramp/bridge over one of the very few rocky/tech sections in the entire trail? The rock in question was a favorite of mine, but still allows for plenty of bypass options for those who choose to go around. That man made wooden ramp could have been installed anywhere else along the 6 miles of trail, why would we install it directly over one of the best natural technical features the trail had?
iamkickstand

Postby slukomski » July 21st, 2013, 4:37 pm

chisbang wrote:
slukomski wrote:Trail was still pretty muddy at 4:00. Not too much fun. Had to keep slamming on the brakes before the mud/standing water killing all momentum. You won't reach a PB today.

Any obstacles that we need to look out for?

There was a tree down (about 5" in diameter) but I'll be damned if I can remember where it was....maybe just after the winter loop? I hopped over it, so it wasn't so much an obstacle as it was a feature.
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite
slukomski

Postby turbotodd » July 22nd, 2013, 8:09 am

slukomski wrote:
chisbang wrote:

Any obstacles that we need to look out for?

There was a tree down (about 5" in diameter) but I'll be damned if I can remember where it was....maybe just after the winter loop? I hopped over it, so it wasn't so much an obstacle as it was a feature.

yes, tree was down just after winter trailhead. bow saw would be sufficient if DNR decides to clear it
turbotodd

Postby bentmettle » July 22nd, 2013, 8:45 am

iamkickstand wrote:1. For someone who had no idea that there is a short cut to re-loop part of the trail, why is that more clearly defined/marked for those of us somewhat unfamiliar with the trail? My Fiance who was just behind me on a lap accidentally took the "re-loop" yesterday, which left me sitting at the trail head wondering if she was ok, knowing she should pop out of the trail about 5-10 minutes behind me, then when i started in on the trail backwards and no one had seen her it was a bit un-nerving.

Good morning-

I'm assuming you are talking about the winter loop, and that your dear fiance took the loop from the 4.5ish mile marker back towards mile 2.5ish ?

The loop is marked at both ends, and at the point where a person leaves the main trail to double back, there is also a trail map showing where they are, and where they will be going.

Next time you ride the trail, would you mind stopping to look at the map and trail intersection? Maybe there is something about the placement of the map or other signage that appears obvious to us that isn't obvious to other people.

thanks for the feedback
/\/\att |3ushore
Another Assistant Trail Coordinator - Maybury State Park

http://www.bentmettle.com
bentmettle

Postby c0nsumer » July 22nd, 2013, 8:49 am

bentmettle wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:1. For someone who had no idea that there is a short cut to re-loop part of the trail, why is that more clearly defined/marked for those of us somewhat unfamiliar with the trail? My Fiance who was just behind me on a lap accidentally took the "re-loop" yesterday, which left me sitting at the trail head wondering if she was ok, knowing she should pop out of the trail about 5-10 minutes behind me, then when i started in on the trail backwards and no one had seen her it was a bit un-nerving.

Good morning-

I'm assuming you are talking about the winter loop, and that your dear fiance took the loop from the 4.5ish mile marker back towards mile 2.5ish ?

The loop is marked at both ends, and at the point where a person leaves the main trail to double back, there is also a trail map showing where they are, and where they will be going.

Next time you ride the trail, would you mind stopping to look at the map and trail intersection? Maybe there is something about the placement of the map or other signage that appears obvious to us that isn't obvious to other people.

thanks for the feedback

Personally, I've found the sign a little confusing before, particularly when I wasn't familiar with the trail. I'll give it some thought next time I'm there, but maybe a "Full Loop (left), Shortcut (right)" or whatever is appropriate would be a bit simpler and still show the same info?

(Take that with a huge grain of salt for now... I don't remember exactly what it reads and haven't been there yet this year, so I'm not remembering it very clearly.)
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby iamkickstand » July 22nd, 2013, 8:53 am

bentmettle wrote:

Good morning-

thanks for the feedback

I'll definitely take another peak next time we are there. When she realized where she was, another rider and her were riding together and he mentioned it happens to a lot of people, so she doesn't seem to be the only one.

Your assumption is correct, though I don't see the term "winter loop" or recall seeing it on any of the maps, is that more of a "local" term? What does the winter loop refer to?

she bobbed right, when she should have bobbed left. silly girls. :mrgreen:
iamkickstand

Postby rvd » July 22nd, 2013, 9:01 am

bentmettle wrote:

Good morning-

thanks for the feedback

My first time at Maybury I made the same / a similar mistake: http://app.strava.com/activities/28944837. The trail may be signed as you say, but I definitely missed it. Either I didn't watch out or it isn't that obvious.
rvd

Postby bentmettle » July 22nd, 2013, 9:05 am

iamkickstand wrote:
Your assumption is correct, though I don't see the term "winter loop" or recall seeing it on any of the maps, is that more of a "local" term? What does the winter loop refer to?

Calling it the "winter loop" is vestigal from the loop and winter trailhead being put in during the time when the trail had more restrictive seasonable closures.

I can't imagine people that feel lost on the trail are having a lot of fun - I don't see any reason why we'd not make improvements to signage that would improve the fun factor out there.
/\/\att |3ushore
Another Assistant Trail Coordinator - Maybury State Park

http://www.bentmettle.com
bentmettle

Postby gman122889 » July 22nd, 2013, 9:17 am

I also did the same thing when I was there a few weeks ago. I don't think there is adequate signage that can direct someone on the fly.
gman122889

Postby iamkickstand » July 22nd, 2013, 9:38 am

bentmettle wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:

Calling it the "winter loop" is vestigal from the loop and winter trailhead being put in during the time when the trail had more restrictive seasonable closures.

I can't imagine people that feel lost on the trail are having a lot of fun - I don't see any reason why we'd not make improvements to signage that would improve the fun factor out there.

She was fine, she knew where she was as soon as she reconnected, but I couldn't find her and no one had seen her since she looped back in behind them.
iamkickstand

Postby b_b » July 22nd, 2013, 10:02 am

Yes it's a good idea to sign shortcuts accordingly. They did that at Highland for the B shortcut and it is helpful.
b_b

Postby IronMike » July 22nd, 2013, 11:05 am

I made the same error first time to Maybury, and its set up so that many will do it again. It used to be worse. I forget exactly what the signage looks like lately, but I usually glance at it as I pass to see if we've managed to make it any clearer. Its not, but I'm sure those that figure out the posted map would manage.

We need a clear left arrow titled:
"Main Trail"
and a clear right arrow titled:
"Alternate Trail (does not return to Main Trail Head)".

This would make it clear at a glance that you should probably go left, and curious beginners may choose to stop and learn what this "Alternate Trail" is all about. I'd avoid the term "shortcut", which sounds attractive to beginners since it implies a shorter way to the "end" which it is not.
Last edited by IronMike on July 22nd, 2013, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronMike

Postby IronMike » July 22nd, 2013, 11:16 am

Trail was awesome yesterday, set a PR because I used the down time to get everything shifting and braking like butter!

Just a few avoidable greasy spots and a single spot of nasty standing water... where there are two consecutive trail splits just before the sandy climb at about 4.75. If you go right at the first split, there is no choice but to land square in the middle of the puddle (I couldn't bail safely). Go left here and the trail is great.

Before I started, a rider coming off the trail warned me there was a low branch to watch out for. I saw no downed trees or branches, so I assume he was referring to the usual "duck points". The caution tape is gone from tricky tepee near the end, but duck there anyways.
Last edited by IronMike on July 22nd, 2013, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronMike

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments