MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby slukomski » July 13th, 2013, 9:27 am

Rode Maybury this morning and it's in pretty good shape. About 6-8 muddy spots that can be avoided if you pick the right line, and only one spot of standing water that will probably be there for the next 5 days if we don't get rain. Get out there and ride!
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite
User avatar
slukomski
 
Posts: 249
Joined: April 20th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby chisbang » July 13th, 2013, 10:27 am

slukomski wrote:Rode Maybury this morning and it's in pretty good shape. About 6-8 muddy spots that can be avoided if you pick the right line, and only one spot of standing water that will probably be there for the next 5 days if we don't get rain. Get out there and ride!


Thanks slukomski! Always glad to hear from you.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
User avatar
chisbang
 
Posts: 151
Joined: October 17th, 2008, 9:24 am
Location: Dearborn

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby slukomski » July 13th, 2013, 11:23 am

chisbang wrote:
slukomski wrote:Rode Maybury this morning and it's in pretty good shape. About 6-8 muddy spots that can be avoided if you pick the right line, and only one spot of standing water that will probably be there for the next 5 days if we don't get rain. Get out there and ride!


Thanks slukomski! Always glad to hear from you.

No problem. Hope you're healing well and I hope to see you on the trails soon.
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite
User avatar
slukomski
 
Posts: 249
Joined: April 20th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby poirier » July 16th, 2013, 9:13 pm

6PM - there were several pools of standing water and a few mud pits. The trail wasn't necessarily muddy otherwise.
poirier
 
Posts: 56
Joined: September 14th, 2006, 3:56 pm
Location: Livonia, MI

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby Zach_T » July 17th, 2013, 7:15 am

Can anyone tell me if there are spots where you can exit the trail? It looks like the paved bike path intersects the trail in at least one spot. I recently got through with some physical therapy and I'm unable to ride the full trail(7-8 miles, right?). I can ride about 2-3 miles before I need to stop.

Thanks!
Zach_T
 
Posts: 16
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:26 pm
Location: Woodhaven

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby turbotodd » July 17th, 2013, 7:30 am

Zach_T wrote:Can anyone tell me if there are spots where you can exit the trail? It looks like the paved bike path intersects the trail in at least one spot. I recently got through with some physical therapy and I'm unable to ride the full trail(7-8 miles, right?). I can ride about 2-3 miles before I need to stop.

Thanks!


http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications/PDFS/RecreationCamping/maybury_map.pdf

there are several spots where the trail crosses the road. you can also exit at the Winter Trailhead
User avatar
turbotodd
 
Posts: 177
Joined: April 30th, 2012, 12:24 pm
Location: Walled Lake

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby b_b » July 17th, 2013, 7:54 am

Yes there are a few spots and a cutoff option. Fyi the 3 hardest hills are in the first mile and you could pickup the trail just after them. From the parking lot heading down the PAVED path it will quickly fork with trail-head to your right, but instead go left and watch for the trail on your right and jump on. It will will then cross the paved path 2 more times in the next couple miles where you can bail. If you continue after the 2nd crossing then after about another mile you'll encounter a shortcut option. Left will complete the trail (maybe 2 more miles) and right will shortcut back to around where you entered where the trail runs along the paved path, so you could bail pretty easily. This cutoff is just left of the #9 location on the MAP.

Novi Lakeshore would also be good for you because it constantly intersects the hiking trails so you're never far from a place to bail and the climbs are shorter.
b_b
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: May 30th, 2010, 9:55 am

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby Zach_T » July 17th, 2013, 8:19 am

Awesome thanks for the help.
Zach_T
 
Posts: 16
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:26 pm
Location: Woodhaven

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby mrbikester » July 17th, 2013, 6:26 pm

My wife Rita and I rode the trail on this VERY HOT HOT day. It was in good shape with several muddy spots from a recent rain but overall it was good. There are some low limbs over the trail and be careful of one on the fast downhill at far end of trail before it crosses pavement. A few face slappers out there also and on a cooler day, I will take trimmers and get rid of them if still there.
User avatar
mrbikester
 
Posts: 156
Joined: April 10th, 2006, 9:28 pm
Location: Royal Oak

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby b_b » July 18th, 2013, 6:45 am

mrbikester wrote: There are some low limbs over the trail and be careful of one on the fast downhill at far end of trail before it crosses pavement.

That tree has been there for a while, but looked lower yesterday. Might be high enough and just an optical illusion since you're coming downhill and is easily duckable, but yeah I noticed somebody did an emergency skid :) and it probably could be removed.
b_b
 
Posts: 1920
Joined: May 30th, 2010, 9:55 am

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby bax » July 20th, 2013, 10:34 am

Trail was a little muddy in spots @9 a.m, nothing serious - should dry out nicely later today.
bax
 
Posts: 99
Joined: September 9th, 2010, 7:49 pm

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby iamkickstand » July 20th, 2013, 12:28 pm

bax wrote:Trail was a little muddy in spots @9 a.m, nothing serious - should dry out nicely later today.

How'd we miss ya?

Trail was prime!
iamkickstand
 
Posts: 3214
Joined: May 11th, 2010, 9:00 am

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby slukomski » July 20th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Trail was still pretty muddy at 4:00. Not too much fun. Had to keep slamming on the brakes before the mud/standing water killing all momentum. You won't reach a PB today.
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite
User avatar
slukomski
 
Posts: 249
Joined: April 20th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby chisbang » July 20th, 2013, 5:59 pm

slukomski wrote:Trail was still pretty muddy at 4:00. Not too much fun. Had to keep slamming on the brakes before the mud/standing water killing all momentum. You won't reach a PB today.

Any obstacles that we need to look out for?
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
User avatar
chisbang
 
Posts: 151
Joined: October 17th, 2008, 9:24 am
Location: Dearborn

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby bax » July 20th, 2013, 6:23 pm

:shock:
bax
 
Posts: 99
Joined: September 9th, 2010, 7:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests