MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby jrshome » June 15th, 2008, 10:32 am

daffunda wrote:
marinman wrote:
BLOOMIS914 wrote:Any updates on Maybury trail condition today Sat. 6-14??

I was out there Sat what a mess... Very saturated. Most of the turns were huge puddles, and what wasn't a puddle was mud.

I ended up turning off at the 3mile mark.

Good thing I read it before I headed out. I would've had a crappy time today. Thanks for the input.

I guess the trail condition should be set to AVOID until the trail dries out. More storms in forecast later today. :roll:

Actually,

I took the chance and went out at 8 this morning. I won't say that their is no mud, but I thought other than a real deep hole right at the end of the trail just before you climb the last hill the trail was actually in great shape, for all the rain we have had. But that said, if you aren't willing to ride the center of the trail and get some decent mud on your bike, you should avoid. Seems like a am taking my bike apart and cleaning after every ride this year.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby daffunda » June 15th, 2008, 3:18 pm

I got tired of taking my bike apart to clean it after every ride, once in a while is OK. I already got my bike caked at Poto Saturday, and needless to say, cleaning it was a biatch, and it does take a toll on the drivetrain....but I guess that's what SS is for.

Good thing I still kept my gym membership....
daffunda

Postby jrshome » June 16th, 2008, 7:22 am

daffunda wrote:I got tired of taking my bike apart to clean it after every ride, once in a while is OK. I already got my bike caked at Poto Saturday, and needless to say, cleaning it was a biatch, and it does take a toll on the drivetrain....but I guess that's what SS is for.

Good thing I still kept my gym membership....

I will agree with that 100%, I would really like to see a nice dry spell. My bike is taking a beating from this mud, I have new chain and middle ring that I need to put on, but I am holding off till we dry out a little..

I hate the gym
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby Spinwheel » June 16th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Rode it tonight and couldn't help but think that - if the trail were in this kind of shape during the spring thaw season it would be deemed closed until the ground dried out more. I didn't could them all but it seemed like there were at least a dozen large puddles and at least a dozen more really soft spots.

My two cents.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby daffunda » June 16th, 2008, 9:24 pm

Saw the muddy bikes at the trailhead and just went home, decided to road ride. Asked a guy and he said he bailed out, more than a dozen mud/puddle areas before the road crossing.
daffunda

Postby Sherpaboy » June 16th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Rode tonight...the trail is in good shape. A few wet spots that need some help draining. We'll be out there working in the morning to start cutting back some face slappers, remove a tree, and knock down the berms that are holding water.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby chong » June 17th, 2008, 1:12 pm

Has anyone been out today? Trail in decent shape?
chong

Postby Sherpaboy » June 17th, 2008, 1:58 pm

Not too bad....there are a few low spots that I worked on today filled in the last one before the last climb. PLEASE RIDE THROUGH THIS....I know it is soft right now, but you'll help displace the water and pack it down more. I'll be working on that one for the next few weeks...

Removed the downed tree in the Boy Scout loop as well (just after the old winter loop split (The B Loop), and Rock Drop
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Postby daffunda » June 17th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Sherpaboy wrote:Not too bad....there are a few low spots that I worked on today filled in the last one before the last climb. PLEASE RIDE THROUGH THIS....I know it is soft right now, but you'll help displace the water and pack it down more. I'll be working on that one for the next few weeks...

Removed the downed tree in the Boy Scout loop as well (just after the old winter loop split (The B Loop), and Rock Drop

Cool thanks for the repair. I'll take the "not too bad" as still pretty crappy. Hopefully no more rain for at least a week. If it is during the weekend or something, or after 5ish during the weekday, I can help out....

Maybe fill in those low spots with baby head rocks like at PLRA?
daffunda

Postby Sherpaboy » June 17th, 2008, 3:11 pm

actually not too bad is the wrong words...It is fine. There are 2-3 noticeable muddy spots where the water isn't draining properly...we'll get to them as well...But go ahead and ride the trail.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

Great Shape

Postby mojomister » June 17th, 2008, 5:18 pm

Just got back from my ride. Trail was in great shape, have fun.
mojomister

Postby sklevorn » June 17th, 2008, 9:23 pm

Nice work out there HedgeHog...I mean Sherpaboy and crew!!!

Inspired me to pick up where the serious trimming ended on my 2nd lap. Unfortunately I was sans tools so I focused on trail debris, face slappers and overhangs up to mile 5.5. Mostly ignored the stuff from the waist down. Thorn bush section was definitely tricky. Also snagged the two 4" ash trees that were leaning over the trail and going down with the next wind.

Was able to get through the whole course on lap 3 with no bobbing and weaving. Not bad for peak growth season. Happy Trails.
sklevorn

Postby Bcar » June 18th, 2008, 3:49 pm

Thanks to all who gave maybury a long needed bikini waxing :) trail in great shape!
Bcar

Great Ride

Postby fostermarkj » June 19th, 2008, 9:32 am

Rode Maybury on Tuesday, trail was in great shape.... Only one face slapper that I recall! Still a couple mud spots, but hey, what can you do?
fostermarkj

RE: fostermarkj

Postby missionchips » June 19th, 2008, 11:34 am

First, thanks a ton for the bikini wax! Maybury is riding great.

In response to fostermarkj's post, I was out there the other day too, and here are some things I saw:

1. The trail rode great.
2. Someone was trying to ride some bike from the 80's. It had plastic hanging from the spokes.
3. Someone was out there dogging it with a Lance Armstrong jersey on. I am still confused. Then his brakes broke down for a while. I flew by them and I wasn't helping. The jersey really threw me for a loop.

Thanks again for the cleaning and missionchips will see you out on the trails!
missionchips

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions