MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby froggyrider » June 2nd, 2008, 9:32 pm

The trail was great tonight- and for all the face slappers I clipped, there are still three times still needing to be clipped. Many are still in the tight corners- blind corners, so it wasn't safe for me to stop and clip without a scout watching for bikes.

If anyone rides who can take along small clippers that fit in your camelbak, if everyone stops to clip one small stretch- it will be in good shape! It will need it for sure after the rain we are about to get.

Also, the section where the glass is embedded in the trail (last mile or so by the twists and off cambers) was really coming to the surface. Not sure how that can be solved- dig ti all out???
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Trail Conditions

Postby jumpstumper » June 3rd, 2008, 7:05 am

Thanks to those who have cleared the trail. I haven't ridden since Saturday, but it sounds like it is great. It was great when I last rode, just had some added "features".

For the record, whenever I post trail conditions it is never to complain, criticize, and definitely not to grant permission (ref. my post from 16 May and responses.) I always appreciate the work that goes into maintaining this trail and other trails in the area. The MMBA is an excellent organization and I am proud to be a part of it. If I wasn't, I would pay for my DNR pass and scam conditions off of this site without contibuting my own input.

There have been plenty of times, particularly after rain, when I have wondered about the trail conditions before going on a ride. It is awesome to get up-to-date information from this site. I just try to repay the favor from others. Sorry for ticking some people off, but I felt "attacked" for two recent posts that had no malicious intent.
jumpstumper

Postby Dirtdevil » June 3rd, 2008, 7:28 am

Yeah, that glass section is becoming a real beast. Every week I ride there I stop and pick up a lot of it. I'm amazed at some of the big chunks :shock: Watch out folks......and if you see the glass, please stop and take the time to clear the trail.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby tcb » June 3rd, 2008, 1:08 pm

I missed the glass, I went there last night with a few buddies and we did 1 and a 1/2 laps before it got dark, Had a blast, love the new section it's amazing. Cannot wait to make it back out there.
tcb

Postby scat silvurz » June 3rd, 2008, 1:46 pm

glass is embedded in the trail

Yeah, that area is often called "Bedpan Alley".....look into the ravine to the left, and you'll see lots of really old medical waste from the old Maybury Sanatorium - definitely wear gloves if you're picking up THAT glass.......might even find a really nice bedpan, or glass beaker...

Bet there are still some jars with tuberculosis cultures just waiting to get out when broken.....

Enjoy!
Five fingers, three chords, and one *beep*.....!
scat silvurz

Postby weida » June 3rd, 2008, 2:52 pm

What mile are we talking about here? I've not noticed the glass either.
weida

Postby jrshome » June 3rd, 2008, 2:53 pm

scat silvurz wrote:

Yeah, that area is often called "Bedpan Alley".....look into the ravine to the left, and you'll see lots of really old medical waste from the old Maybury Sanatorium - definitely wear gloves if you're picking up THAT glass.......might even find a really nice bedpan, or glass beaker...

Bet there are still some jars with tuberculosis cultures just waiting to get out when broken.....

Enjoy!

That sounds like a reroute waiting to happen :D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby Dirtdevil » June 3rd, 2008, 7:00 pm

scat silvurz wrote:

Enjoy!

I did notice a new "growth" recently in the middle of my forehead......looks like a 3rd eye developing... and this *beep* persistent cough is getting annoying :lol:

Glass-alley is located towards the last part of the trail after the 1st fast downhill where you thread the needle betw. the 2 low trees; the trail then takes a dip down before an uphill. The glass is located after the "needle" in the dip area before the uphill. Watch out as some of it is quite large and could easily puncture your tire.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby tcb » June 5th, 2008, 8:27 pm

6 of us rode earlier, great shape bit damp but it was a blast
tcb

Postby mpominville » June 11th, 2008, 9:00 am

Rode maybury last night, a little mud but no major issues.
mpominville

Postby ahendepe » June 12th, 2008, 5:46 am

mpominville wrote:Rode maybury last night, a little mud but no major issues.

There is a good head crackin tree across the trail in the first couple miles you can ride under it if you scoosh down in the saddle but it will scare the crap out of you if you are staring at the trail and then look up.
ahendepe

Postby daffunda » June 12th, 2008, 10:30 am

Please don't widen the trail when you see mud puddles. I was surprised to see tire tracks going all around mud and into the bushes. (well not really surprised....) Please just ride through the mud, or if getting yourself or your bike dirty is not your cup of tea, or don't want to make pizza cutters, carry your bike over it. You can always clean mud off.

I understand gunking up your drivetrain and whatnot, but that's part of the sport. If you don't want your bike getting dirty, don't ride it.
daffunda

Postby BLOOMIS914 » June 14th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Any updates on Maybury trail condition today Sat. 6-14??

Thanks.
"Speed doesn't kill, it is the sudden stop that gets you"
BLOOMIS914

Postby marinman » June 15th, 2008, 9:40 am

BLOOMIS914 wrote:Any updates on Maybury trail condition today Sat. 6-14??

I was out there Sat what a mess... Very saturated. Most of the turns were huge puddles, and what wasn't a puddle was mud.

I ended up turning off at the 3mile mark.
marinman

Postby daffunda » June 15th, 2008, 9:44 am

marinman wrote:
BLOOMIS914 wrote:Any updates on Maybury trail condition today Sat. 6-14??

I was out there Sat what a mess... Very saturated. Most of the turns were huge puddles, and what wasn't a puddle was mud.

I ended up turning off at the 3mile mark.

Good thing I read it before I headed out. I would've had a crappy time today. Thanks for the input.

I guess the trail condition should be set to AVOID until the trail dries out. More storms in forecast later today. :roll:
daffunda

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions