MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby barry007 » May 27th, 2013, 10:36 am

Don aka cbang, hope you heal quickly...youve had a rough few months.
BB
"You can't be defeated if you're still Fighting"
barry007

Postby bentmettle » May 27th, 2013, 7:22 pm

IronMike wrote:
DNR_Maybury wrote: ... So without him (since he did a TON here, in which i'm very greatful)

Understatement of the year! Wishing a speedy recovery to Don.

Last I rode, the first half-mile was the slappiest so I'm going to take my weed whacker to it in the morning unless someone tells me they already got that section. I don't know who has access to heavier equipment. Second-worse section was from mile 5.0 to the finish.

Thanks for reaching out Trevor.

Sorry to hear about Don's misfortune. Ugh. :(

I walked in tonight back to the where the paved road lets you cut into that back straight away. I trimmed through going backwards to the trailhead.

My shears broke somewhere along my adventure,so I toned back my efforts to hit the worst with the loppers. The first 3/4 mile could probably stand to get Kombi-sawed about a foot back on either side of the trail. It's nearly solid buckthorn I think?
/\/\att |3ushore
Another Assistant Trail Coordinator - Maybury State Park

http://www.bentmettle.com
bentmettle

Postby risnewski » May 28th, 2013, 6:29 am

Heal up fast Don. Keep us posted.
risnewski

Postby Basta » May 29th, 2013, 8:37 pm

Found bike computer(part that goes on the fork) ...if it is yours get in touch with me to get it back.

Dean
Basta

Postby poirier » May 31st, 2013, 1:55 pm

Trail was greasy at 10:30 this morning.
poirier

Postby shredbetty61 » June 2nd, 2013, 9:32 am

has the trail dried out Sunday 6/2? thanks
shredbetty61

Postby CraveSingletrack » June 2nd, 2013, 11:11 am

Also curious if it's good to ride.
CraveSingletrack

Postby Steve_Balogh » June 2nd, 2013, 3:53 pm

I did Maybury and ILRA today, no issues. Maybury seemed a bit drier.
Steve_Balogh

Postby DNR_Maybury » June 5th, 2013, 9:28 am

So, I'm aware that the face slappers are a little heavy out there. My staff and I have been out there with the hedge trimmer a few times in the past week and a half, however we have in the process neglected other projects that need to be done. since there is much more to get done, I was wondering if we could set up a work day. My thought was if we had 6 or 7 people and 2-3 hours we could effectively remove all the face slappers by taking a mile each. Anyone interested? Any dates in mind? I would be willing to spring for some grilling food (burgers, chicken, etc) If we wanted to have a day.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby IronMike » June 5th, 2013, 1:14 pm

I'd be in but I'm booked the next two weekends. However, I'd sign up for the "Adopt a Segment" idea I posted earlier. If we have enough takers I can make time to clear a half mile over the next few days. There are major sections where the tree canopy stifles the brush (like around the Winter Head) so maybe about 9 adopters at .5 miles each would cover the whole 6 miles.

For a mini-trail day... same number of potential volunteers will have a conflict no matter what date. So may as well pick any date and go.
IronMike

Postby IronMike » June 5th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Also, trail conditions were ideal last evening. About three tiny spots where the trail looked greasy but each was dry enough that no tracks were made.

Trail was packed due to pent-up demand over the recent rainy spell. A good time was had by all.
IronMike

Postby Loren » June 5th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Weekends are all packed for many of us this time of year. Maybe we could do a weeknight?
Loren

Postby ggt1_02 » June 5th, 2013, 6:56 pm

The trail was great tonight, no greasy spots and very few slappers. Thanks to everyone who has done some great work on it this year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
"Demonstrate to the world there is "No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy" than a U.S. Marine." General James N. Mattis 2003
ggt1_02

Postby DNR_Maybury » June 6th, 2013, 7:03 am

I'm fine with doing a work day on a non weekend, or we can do adopt a mile if we have some willing to do that. Let me know.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby bentmettle » June 7th, 2013, 9:56 am

DNR_Maybury wrote:So, I'm aware that the face slappers are a little heavy out there. My staff and I have been out there with the hedge trimmer a few times in the past week and a half, however we have in the process neglected other projects that need to be done. since there is much more to get done, I was wondering if we could set up a work day. My thought was if we had 6 or 7 people and 2-3 hours we could effectively remove all the face slappers by taking a mile each. Anyone interested? Any dates in mind? I would be willing to spring for some grilling food (burgers, chicken, etc) If we wanted to have a day.

Maybury has several spots that need special care in trimming due to how close the trail comes to itself in a few spots. In those spots, I think it's best to try to keep some growth to keep shortcuts from forming. Usually this is just a matter of trimming one side of the trail and not the other.

I will talk to Loren this coming Monday during the chapter meeting about what would be needed in terms of waivers and using tools out of the MCMBA trailer.

I'll also try to get out this weekend and see what's going on.

Fiskar is supposed to be sending me some new super shears to try out, too...
/\/\att |3ushore
Another Assistant Trail Coordinator - Maybury State Park

http://www.bentmettle.com
bentmettle

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments