MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Maybury

Postby DNR_Maybury » May 23rd, 2013, 7:11 am

So I need a general opinion on "dumbing down" I know that we have some face slappers out there and a few sections where the new maple growth is crowding, so....
If I send out one of my staff with the hedge trimmers, how far back is good, and where do you want him to go? Thoughts?
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby c0nsumer » May 23rd, 2013, 7:12 am

DNR_Maybury wrote:So I need a general opinion on "dumbing down" I know that we have some face slappers out there and a few sections where the new maple growth is crowding, so....
If I send out one of my staff with the hedge trimmers, how far back is good, and where do you want him to go? Thoughts?

I personally am of the opinion that when trimming brush, you'd be hard pressed to trim it back too far. It'll always regrow. The challenge -- to me -- shouldn't come from the corridor being tight or things potentially hitting you in the head/face.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby chisbang » May 23rd, 2013, 7:45 am

c0nsumer wrote:
DNR_Maybury wrote:So I need a general opinion on "dumbing down" I know that we have some face slappers out there and a few sections where the new maple growth is crowding, so....

I personally am of the opinion that when trimming brush, you'd be hard pressed to trim it back too far. It'll always regrow. The challenge -- to me -- shouldn't come from the corridor being tight or things potentially hitting you in the head/face.

Second that. You get used to the great sight lines of early spring then the jungle starts to close in. There is a natural trail corridor that is starting to fill in. We can do a re-con ride and make notes if you want.
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby DNR_Maybury » May 23rd, 2013, 8:35 am

That be great, I have a few things to get done with another project or I'd go for a ride myself. Let me know some of the questionable spots and what you think should be done.
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby poirier » May 23rd, 2013, 10:05 pm

Tree down 1 mile ish from the end. It's about waist high.
poirier

Postby chisbang » May 24th, 2013, 4:52 am

poirier wrote:Tree down 1 mile ish from the end. It's about waist high.

How big?
Don Chisholm
Assistant Trail Coordinator Maybury State Park
Maybury hermit; keeping an eye on the trail.
chisbang

Postby poirier » May 24th, 2013, 6:37 am

8 inches around-ish.
poirier

Postby Ricky Billy » May 24th, 2013, 7:04 am

chisbang wrote:
poirier wrote:

How big?
poirier wrote:8 inches around-ish.

Wow!!! :shock: and shes ok with that?? :lol:
Shake - N - bake!! Shut your d*mn hole chip!!!
Ricky Billy

Postby JJJerry » May 24th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Tree is still down. Shortly after the 5.25 sign.

Trail is actually pretty darn dry.
JJJerry

Postby b_b » May 24th, 2013, 7:34 pm

Yeah chop away that crap just grows back anyhow. I'd say from the 2nd road crossing by 7m/Beck all the way past the start until the trail runs along the pavement around 1.5m could use trimming!
b_b

Postby BLOOMIS914 » May 25th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Rode Friday eve and the recent warm and rains has turned the jungle growth heavy. There were a lot of face slappers and a couple of widow makers that forced me to almost have two nice spills. One of the worst ones is right before the winter loop split with a low hanging branch that hits me solid in the helmet even when ducking. There is another face slapper through a rocky right left right section that smacks me right in the face about 1/4 mile before the winter loop split also. The trail was in serious need of trimming. I made a personal commitment to always wear glasses after being face whipped and a couple close pokes to the eyes. I plan to ride Sunday eve and will try to trim the bad ones but I agree I don't think you can overtrim maybury as the trail is pretty narrow even before or after full growth. Thanks to the maybury dnr and those who help maintain it.
"Speed doesn't kill, it is the sudden stop that gets you"
BLOOMIS914

Postby Steve_Balogh » May 26th, 2013, 5:22 am

BLOOMIS914 wrote:Rode Friday eve and the recent warm and rains has turned the jungle growth heavy. There were a lot of face slappers and a couple of widow makers that forced me to almost have two nice spills. One of the worst ones is right before the winter loop split with a low hanging branch that hits me solid in the helmet even when ducking. There is another face slapper through a rocky right left right section that smacks me right in the face about 1/4 mile before the winter loop split also. The trail was in serious need of trimming. I made a personal commitment to always wear glasses after being face whipped and a couple close pokes to the eyes. I plan to ride Sunday eve and will try to trim the bad ones but I agree I don't think you can overtrim maybury as the trail is pretty narrow even before or after full growth. Thanks to the maybury dnr and those who help maintain it.

I rode yesterday, there were a couple face-slapers, but it looks like someone trimmed many sections
Steve_Balogh

Postby sisu » May 26th, 2013, 6:10 am

When was that sweet jump added?

Had the trail nearly to myself at 5pm on a Saurday.
sisu

Postby DNR_Maybury » May 26th, 2013, 1:36 pm

That sweet jump was added on our trail day in April. I did manage to get about an hour each of the past 2 days to do some scalping out there. I know that there is more areas in need and I will attempt to do some more tonight. Just so you all are aware Don our TC had an accident out here at the park and broke his hip. He will be out of commission for a while. So without him (since he did a TON here, in which i'm very greatfull) i'm hoping that some of you could possibly give me a hand with some of the face slappers. Like I said I will do as much as I can, but I have other trails (non biking ones) that I need to start to work on. Any help would be appreciated!
Trevor McGinn
Lead Worker
Maybury State Park
DNR_Maybury

Postby IronMike » May 27th, 2013, 12:13 am

DNR_Maybury wrote: ... So without him (since he did a TON here, in which i'm very greatful)

Understatement of the year! Wishing a speedy recovery to Don.

Last I rode, the first half-mile was the slappiest so I'm going to take my weed whacker to it in the morning unless someone tells me they already got that section. I don't know who has access to heavier equipment. Second-worse section was from mile 5.0 to the finish.

Thanks for reaching out Trevor.
IronMike

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments