MCMBA: Maybury

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

MCMBA: Maybury

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 8:25 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Maybury SP
Last edited by Todd Scott on January 4th, 2007, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd Scott

Maybury MTB trails are closed until 4/15/04...But...

Postby Sherpaboy » March 22nd, 2004, 10:09 am

EDITED - THIS IS AN OLD OUTDATED POST. It is here merely for historical sake. Please read further into the thread for more current information regarding work days, and trail etiquette

o not Maybury MTB trails are closed until 4/15/04...

But we are having 2 workdays before the trail opens, We have been given permission to have a volunteer group ride if conditions are okay. The workdays are on 4/4, and 4/10...Beck Road Parking lot. Any help in building the re-routes is greatly appreciated
Both workdays start at 9:30am see MMBA Calender for more details
Last edited by Sherpaboy on January 29th, 2009, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trail's Edge Cyclery - We Are Bike Geeks!
Milford - 248.714.9355
Plymouth - 734.420.1200 (NEW LOCATION)
29er, Full suspension, Road, Cross, Family...and much more
Sherpaboy

you got to try the new maybury

Postby opselite275 » April 21st, 2004, 2:39 pm

I recently went to maybury and have been riding for the last couple of years there.I like what you guys did to it thanks its sweet :D.I recomend trying it out and i noticed the climbs r more challenging now that the trail is fresh and not yet broke in.
opselite275

Postby HappyHelmet » May 24th, 2004, 7:05 pm

Trail's in great shape, just a few mudholes and greasy corners. There's only one tree down, a big 'un down on the loop that the shortcut bypasses, on the big rooty curve before the bridge, about the 3.6 mi. mark. It's too high to jump, but there's a bypass to the left already.
Eric
HappyHelmet

Maybury needs some serious TLC

Postby Dirtdevil » May 26th, 2004, 8:00 am

Maybury is 97% dry and very ridable, but the first half is in need of some serious brush-cutting as low hanging and overgrown brush smacks you from all angles. A little dangerous.

Also, a BIG tree is down on the extend-o-loop on the second half, just before the bridge crossing. This will require a chainsaw and a few helping hands to remove. Appears that people have forged a ride-around path, but this is littered with debris as well.

I don't see a trailday scheduled on the advocacy section, but I think this is a must very soon.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Maybury TR (5/27)

Postby abbeytrails » May 27th, 2004, 8:02 am

Rode Maybury last night (5/27) and had a few more muddy spots from the previous post but for the most part it was a decent ride. The overgrowth of branches and such provide a challange (painful at times) and the big tree is still down when you take the long way around. Not too many people on the trail but as I was leaving, the cars started to roll in! Too bad they are calling for rain again this evening!
abbeytrails

Postby Dan_Harrison » May 27th, 2004, 11:31 am

One way or the other, that tree should be out by Saturday. I'm planning on volunteering at the Farm from 9-12 that day. I've notified the park staff about the tree, and offered to cut it out that morning if they can't get to it sooner.

For more on what you can do to prevent face-slappers, see my post at:
http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=9456

The Northville Community Foundation is holding work sessions at the Farm, preparing for the arrival of the new/old barns (hopefully in June). Call them at 248-374-0200 for details.
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Postby Dirtdevil » May 27th, 2004, 12:12 pm

Thanks, Dan for having the tree removed. As far as the bush-whackers, it would take a small crew to trim the area as it is bad for the 1st half of the trail. It would take one or two people quite a while to clear the area in the way it needs to be cleared. I'd be willing to attend a trail day if and when one is arranged. I know that there is a group slated to head out there this weekend, but I'm not sure if they will be hitting the MTB trail as the article stated they would be doing "trail maintenance" and didn't mention what specific trail(s).

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby ®andyA » May 27th, 2004, 12:29 pm

Dan / D-D

I was planning to head out to Maybury around noon on Saturday and ride with a couple good friends (who are new to mtb). If you guys say that the brush is "that bad" I might head out there a little earlier and do some minor brush clearing before the ride. I'll take the advice from your previous post, Dan, and take a couple small hand tools... and another thanks for clearing out the tree.

I'd hate to have some friends hurt themselves when they're just starting out.
®andyA

maybury is one of the toughest...

Postby Sherpaboy » May 27th, 2004, 5:54 pm

maybury is one of the toughest...to keep open and cleared. Keep in mind that the season was very dry...then WHAM we have had a ton of rain. As for actual workdays. I agree woth Dan that if a few people take some time to walk and do a little at a time that place will be cleared in no time.

It is one of the trails that grow back real quick and heavy...so don't be affraid to trim the tree branches and saplings back a couple feet on either side of the trail...

Shoot Dave the TC an e-mai to let him know also...he isn't on the board that often.
Trail's Edge Cyclery - We Are Bike Geeks!
Milford - 248.714.9355
Plymouth - 734.420.1200 (NEW LOCATION)
29er, Full suspension, Road, Cross, Family...and much more
Sherpaboy

Postby hockeydaddy » May 27th, 2004, 10:31 pm

Rode it tonight around 8pm and in parts it's pretty soupy and the first half felt like I was on my first date as many times that I got slapped in the face :D The slappers really slow you down. The tre is still there but also there ar three trees that are leaning over the trail (Widowmakers) that caused me to duck under then . One's in that open area that runs along the road that takes you to the trailhead with the bench. Another is right around the falling tree and the other is in the small pine area between the road and the trailhead with the bench. That's it Dano. If I go back out Friday or Sat I will do some trimming.
Some people are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.......
Mountain Biker

http://hockeydaddy.blogspot.com/

http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
hockeydaddy

Postby Liquid » May 29th, 2004, 12:04 am

I miss the old steep rooted stair step down hill. why was that eradicated?
Liquid

Postby Dan_Harrison » May 29th, 2004, 1:52 pm

liquid wrote:I miss the old steep rooted stair step down hill. why was that eradicated?

It's nothing to do with the difficulty in riding it-- it was fun while it lasted. It's all about erosion. That section was straight downhill (i.e. "fall-line" routing). The full force of the water that develops turns it into a washout, sooner or later.

BTW, the blowdown by the Boy Scout bridge is now clear. Word to Hockeydaddy: thanks for the good directions :D Those widowmakers won't be making widows (or widowers) after all :wink:

Afterwards, I moseyed over to the Maybury Farm and worked on a project that I might send a shout out for volunteers in a couple of weeks. Before the July 4 parade, definitely. Our stock is very high with the Northville Community Foundation right now 8)
Dan
Dan_Harrison

Postby iceaxe » May 29th, 2004, 2:09 pm

There are a couple of mudy parts, but over all it is in good condition. I'd recomend brandishing a mechete :P or some prunning shears as there are lots of small limbs protruding into the trail
Last edited by iceaxe on May 31st, 2004, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iceaxe

Postby MotoMannequin » May 29th, 2004, 2:59 pm

Rode Maybury this morning (5/29) and with the exception of a couple very minor soft spots, it's completely dry and hard-packed.
-- Larry
MotoMannequin

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments