CRAMBA: Bloomer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bloomer

Postby BK big fish » August 15th, 2014, 10:26 am

large tree down on the middle ledge, right after the switch backs.
BK big fish

Postby BK big fish » August 17th, 2014, 5:10 am

Tree gone! Thanks Kevin98!!!
BK big fish

Postby bergsteiger » August 17th, 2014, 8:12 am

woo, thanks. I was too slow.
bergsteiger

Postby bh357 » August 19th, 2014, 6:38 am

Rode a couple laps yesterday after work. There were a few small mud spots, in the typical areas. The worst being right after the log ride.

Some of the downhills are getting a bit eroded.

A few trees down. One right before the boundary with the City of Rochester property requires dismounting, the other trees are rideable.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby keving98 » August 23rd, 2014, 11:14 pm

As previously mentioned, there's a large tree down at the bottom of the middle stairs requiring dismount. There's also a large tree down on the single-track south of the cricket field, also requiring a dismount.
keving98

Postby keving98 » August 25th, 2014, 5:09 am

There's a new tree down, requiring dismount, east of the stairs.
keving98

Postby bergsteiger » August 25th, 2014, 7:11 am

will try to get out and take a look at the trees this evening.
bergsteiger

Postby keving98 » September 7th, 2014, 6:21 am

I'd like to fix the mud puddles once and for all (sustainably). Any suggestions on how to do this would be appreciated. I've researched trail maintenance for hours online and have a handbook from the forest service but I would still like some suggestions. The persistent mud puddles all have one thing in common: cutting in a "knick" isn't practical (I don't think). Dig out. lay down gravel, cover with geosynthetic, and then fill? I'd hate to turn this into a giant thing when a simple solution is right in front of my face.

Thanks.
Last edited by keving98 on September 7th, 2014, 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
keving98

Postby keving98 » September 7th, 2014, 7:54 am

From the U.S. Forest Service Handbook:

Draining Water Off Existing Trails

Knicks
Puddles that form in flat areas on existing trails may cause several kinds of tread damage. Traffic going around puddles widens the trail (and eventually the puddle). Standing water usually weakens the tread and the backslopes. Water can cause a bog to develop if the soils are right. Traffic on the soft lower edge of a puddle can lead to step-throughs, where users step through the edge of the trail, breaking it down. Step-throughs are one of the causes of tread creep.

The knick is an effective outsloped drain. Knicks are constructed into existing trails (figure 13). For a knick to be effective, the trail tread must have a lower ground next to it so the water has a place to drain.

A knick is a shaved down semicircle about 3 meters (10 feet) long that is outsloped about 15 percent in the center (figure 14). Knicks are smooth and subtle and should be unnoticeable to users.

If terrain prevents such outsloping, the next best solution is to cut a puddle drain at least 600 millimeters (24 inches) wide, extending across the entire width of the tread. Feather the edges of the drain into the tread so trail users don't trip. Plant rocks or other large stationary objects (guide structures) along the lower edge of the tread to keep traffic in the center. In a really long puddle, construct several drains at what appear to be the deepest spots.

Are "puddle drains" the solution?
keving98

Postby bergsteiger » September 7th, 2014, 8:37 am

hello
long story short is, that it depends on the specific problem spot. there is not a one size fits all answer.

some spots the puddle drains should help, others need a small bridge/boardwalk. The long term trouble spots by the river between the RR grades, I am thinking maybe just heavily armor the existing dips. Bridges have been tried (well more temp style), but eventually wash away. Just thinking out loud there.

for example the longer problem spots after the longer bridge/boardwalk between the RR grade and the cricket field needs another boardwalk. That area is a general low spot and there is no where for the water to go (trenches have been dug to no real long term help). potentially the solution of a turnpike with all the earlier mentioned bead of rock and geo tex/whatnot could work, but the level of effort over a boardwalk is not likely valuable.

I have been in my summer of gone, but am re-engaging with the trail there. If you would like to meet up sometime shoot me a PM.
bergsteiger

Postby PK » September 7th, 2014, 11:17 am

Sounds to me like someone is applying for a job as a trail gnome....
So far, I like what I read here about the homework that has been done.....

I hope you meet-up with bergsteiger soon and make good things happen out there.

Pete.
PK

Postby bergsteiger » September 9th, 2014, 10:47 pm

took a casual ride and cut out a tree that you had to duck under in the section before the lung buster. Also cut out 2 small fallen trees that were rideable but not really adding anything. I did not get to the one slight leaning small tree at the entrance to the big switchbacks or the mess in the small single/doubetrack right before that.
I also ended up helping Guide a Father and 2 sons around the trail too, I realized later I never introduced myself (whoops)

Also this is now Cross country running season, there was a meet going on today. Please be courteous and avoid sections that are crowded or stay to the side of the trail. They run on the trails marked with the giant white line sprayed down one side, there are a few sections of the single track route that share and cross their course. Today I had no issue, and the shared section before and after the cricket field was not where the pack was running at the time, I did have to watch and carefully cross the new bridge buy the one that was washed out, at the time the runners were strung out so I paused to make sure there was a break and crossed, I then kept way to the side as a group of 3 runners went by before I was able to duck back into the single track.
bergsteiger

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » Yesterday, 6:15 pm

Rode tonight before the rain. There's large tree down (maybe 8-10in dia) on the switch backs that lead down to the newish tech section after the sledding hill.
lunge bob sweatpants

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments