CRAMBA: Bloomer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bloomer

Postby Lateapex36 » November 4th, 2013, 11:32 am

Rode yesterday, a few muddy spots on the 2 track from CRT and a few other spots on the initial single track. Once you get past by the cricket field its pretty good. Cleared one fallen tree near the 2 marker, just dragged it off the trail. Other than a lot of leaves out there making it interesting to see the trail it was in pretty good shape.
2013 Trek Mamba
Stony, Maybury, River Bends, Bloomer
Lateapex36

Postby Lateapex36 » November 11th, 2013, 7:32 am

Rode saturday, there is a pretty big tree down on the 2 track coming from clinton river trail and some muddy spots on the first lower section of single track. Also looks like someone cleared the leaves off of the whole single track trail, AWESOME WORK!!!
2013 Trek Mamba
Lateapex36

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » December 7th, 2013, 11:52 am

I cut through a portion of Bloomer yesterday. There are two large trees down on the wide trail below the Ridge trails that require dismount. Both will require a chainsaw. The fallen tree that has been leaning over the stair-step climb (closer to to the exit at the fence) is leaning a lot lower and I think will eventually need to be cut up, again will require a chainsaw.

I could not notify that park as no one was there notify.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby Jen_Smith11 » April 17th, 2014, 1:40 pm

Any updates on this trail? Was thinking about heading out on Monday, but wasn't sure the trails were desirable.
live in the now

Trek Mamba 29er
Trek Lexa SLX
Jen_Smith11

Postby bergsteiger » April 17th, 2014, 8:07 pm

well we rode about half the trail today, but ran out of light. The small bit of single track by the river was the worst on what we saw. We rode the section from the old RR grade up to the cricket field. I cut out 6 trees and moved a few other leaners. there are still 2 trees down, both worthy of a larger saw than I had with me today. One right after the longer bridge and another just before the uphill switchbacks. Most of this section was fine, there were a few mud holes and stretches of soft ground, there are also small sticks everywhere.

We also exited via the big switchback and lower ridge, there is a tree down on each. The tree on the big switchbacks is blocking the trail in 2 places (was 3), but we were running out of light to get the rest of that one done. Surface wise most of this section was fine to soft but not muddy, just that one wet corner in the large switchbacks is a mess.
The tree towards the east end of the lower ridge is really *beep* big, not terrible long but very wide.

I hope to get back out tomorrow to survey the rest and continue cutting out trees.
Last edited by bergsteiger on April 18th, 2014, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bergsteiger

Postby AaronEvan » June 10th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Anyone know conditions? Hoping to hit it after work
AaronEvan

Postby keving98 » August 7th, 2014, 8:48 pm

There is a new section that bypasses the section that is falling into the river along the river portion of the trail. Someone fell into the river (actually fell onto the gravel below) trying to ride through the 3 foot section that is nearly completely gone while I was cutting in the new section (he was sore but fine). Also, if anyone wanted the mini-refrigerator that was back there, you had your chance -- it's in a landfill somewhere by now.

TSTG
keving98

Postby Lateapex36 » August 10th, 2014, 4:00 pm

Other than the few spots that never dry out the trail was in great shape today. Some sandy spots and looks like someone built a couple ramps also. The log pile in the second section after the parking lot is now a ramp with a gap to a down ramp, didn't expect that since it used to just be a log pile you could roll over.
2013 Trek Mamba
Lateapex36

Postby BK big fish » August 15th, 2014, 10:26 am

large tree down on the middle ledge, right after the switch backs.
BK big fish

Postby bergsteiger » September 22nd, 2014, 2:59 pm

headed out to check out that tree this evening
bergsteiger

Postby c0nsumer » March 17th, 2015, 8:37 pm

It's still not trail-riding conditions, and what's that mean? Time for a new map!

CRAMBA-IMBA is proud to announce a new map of Bloomer and the surrounding area: http://mmba.org/library/maps/bloomer/latest.pdf

Enjoy!
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby keving98 » May 24th, 2015, 10:19 pm

If someone comes up with the geotextile I'll do the rest.

From the U.S. Forest Service Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook:

Rock Underdrains

Rock underdrains (often called French drains) are ditches filled with gravel. They can be used to drain a spring or seep running across the trail. Wrap the gravel with geotextile to help prevent silt from clogging the rock voids. Start with larger pieces of rock and gravel at the bottom, topping off with smaller aggregate (figure 39). Finish the drain with 150 millimeters (6 inches) of tread material so that the surface matches the rest of the trail.

Figure 39--Wrapping rock underdrains with geotextile helps prevent them from
clogging. Rock underdrains are used to drain low-flow springs and seeps.
keving98

Postby bergsteiger » June 2nd, 2015, 9:47 pm

was out doing work today. Got the fallen tree just into the single track after the rail road grade. Thanks to Rick for stopping and helping get that monster cut and cleared.
I also worked on some drains for the muddy spots I ran into. It was also nice to talk to Paul an Keith out there too.

While I did not get to walk the whole trail, what I saw was surprisingly OK already. There will be some muddy spots so if you ride, please go straight through them.
I walked the upper ridge, areas by the switchbacks by the sledding hill, the switchbacks before the tech loop and a bit of the single track between the Railroad grade heading up towards the cricket field. I was also out taking some measurements of that one wet turn in the big switchbacks. That spot is currently the worst I saw, and quite mucky.
bergsteiger

Postby BK big fish » July 2nd, 2015, 9:03 am

Thanks Eric, another tree down west of 12. BK
BK big fish

Postby Exodus » July 20th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Thanks Steve, can always count on you for a fast reply!
Exodus

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions