CRAMBA: Bloomer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bloomer

Postby AaronEvan » May 16th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Didn't make it out. Woke up and it was raining
AaronEvan

Postby BK big fish » May 18th, 2015, 8:15 am

Trail has some mud holes on the east side of the part, please ride through, not around the mud! otherwise trail is good.
BK big fish

Postby jnpcook » May 19th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Still some mud but the trail is rideable. There is a tree down on the ridge after marker 12. Not able to ride over it.
jnpcook

Postby bergsteiger » May 19th, 2015, 9:36 pm

planning to get out there tomorrow will look at the tree

thanks for the update.
bergsteiger

Postby bergsteiger » May 20th, 2015, 8:29 pm

tree removed, also a some drainage/sculpting work on the upper ridge.

Nice to see everyone out there today.
bergsteiger

Postby bergsteiger » May 21st, 2015, 10:11 pm

Went out today and did a loop. the previous mud spots are pretty much drying. there is one new mud hole at the top of the decent next to the sledding hill, I drained the water from itwith a stick but was not riding with tools today. I will work on getting that wrapped up next week.
bergsteiger

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » May 22nd, 2015, 5:12 pm

Thanks for your work Eric. I'm wondering what can be done with that perpetual greasy spot in the big switch backs. I'd be willing to donate a back of quickcrete if if might help out. That spot at near the sledding hill used to have a pallet for drainage, not sure the best way to handle that spot. Seems to be always wet (not soaked) but damp.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby bergsteiger » May 22nd, 2015, 10:04 pm

lunge bob sweatpants wrote:Thanks for your work Eric. I'm wondering what can be done with that perpetual greasy spot in the big switch backs. I'd be willing to donate a back of quickcrete if if might help out. That spot at near the sledding hill used to have a pallet for drainage, not sure the best way to handle that spot. Seems to be always wet (not soaked) but damp.

Lunge Bob
The one wet corner in the big switchbacks is a project on it's own. That is mostly a seep but also the point where lots of water from higher up goes. The thinking there started out with a banked bridge, but then approvals and maintenance made me rethink. Talking to trail solutions the best bet is likely some turf stone armoring and probably some French drain.

The other new mud hole should be able to be cleared up by making a way for water to drain across, and I am thinking of making that spot a grade reversal too.

Depending on the weather I am planning to head out Thursday evening to work on that. Even if raining I may still head out. I will post back if I do.

Thanks for the info too.
bergsteiger

Postby PK » May 23rd, 2015, 8:33 am

Something like this for the switchback issue?
PK

Postby lunge bob sweatpants » May 23rd, 2015, 8:50 am

Pete if you need some that black plastic drain tubing I have a 6-8ft section I can donate if needed.
lunge bob sweatpants

Postby bergsteiger » May 23rd, 2015, 5:30 pm

Pete

Something more along the lines of
http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uplo ... vers_2.jpg

The shape has to be defined and working first. I will start to come up with the planning details to try to get that approved, have another project to submit too.
bergsteiger

Postby keving98 » Yesterday, 10:19 pm

If someone comes up with the geotextile I'll do the rest.

From the U.S. Forest Service Trail Construction and Maintenance Notebook:

Rock Underdrains

Rock underdrains (often called French drains) are ditches filled with gravel. They can be used to drain a spring or seep running across the trail. Wrap the gravel with geotextile to help prevent silt from clogging the rock voids. Start with larger pieces of rock and gravel at the bottom, topping off with smaller aggregate (figure 39). Finish the drain with 150 millimeters (6 inches) of tread material so that the surface matches the rest of the trail.

Figure 39--Wrapping rock underdrains with geotextile helps prevent them from
clogging. Rock underdrains are used to drain low-flow springs and seeps.
keving98

Postby bergsteiger » Yesterday, 11:26 pm

Keving98 thanks for the enthusiasm. This project will need to be ran by the park. I will work on the plan and get the measurements on the ground when I get back into town this week. Some of the materials overlap with the other project i have planned out so combining these make sense. That corner also needs some reshaping as well.
bergsteiger

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments