CRAMBA: Bloomer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bloomer

Postby bergsteiger » April 15th, 2016, 8:39 am

heading out there this afternoon to check on the trail.

I suspect some of the lower problem areas will still be muddy. other areas are likely fine to tacky.
If you do go and there is a muddy spot please ride straight through it instead of widening the trail.

i will report back with the update this evening
bergsteiger

Postby jhmotard » April 15th, 2016, 9:20 am

Check out the eroded path just behind the Velodrome, most excellent!
jhmotard

Postby bergsteiger » April 15th, 2016, 9:33 am

jhmotard wrote:Check out the eroded path just behind the Velodrome, most excellent!

that rut on that 2 track really deepened up last year in one of the heavy rain events. most of that happened in one rain event, quite crazy the amount of dirt that can move in such a short time.
bergsteiger

Postby bergsteiger » April 15th, 2016, 8:09 pm

Went out and checked out Bloomer today.
It is mostly great. the worst spots are at the base of the stairs (marker 18), the section by the river/oxbow by marker 21. The problem spots by the boardwalk are actually drying ok, the section right after that is soft. Other than that the section after the parking lot has a few soft formerly muddy sections that are drying.
Overall the rest is in better than expected shape.
If you go out just ride directly through any muddy/soft spots instead of widening the trail.
bergsteiger

Postby BK big fish » April 19th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Any idea why the water/mud spot in the switchbacks came back? It was dry for a few rides this year. BK
BK big fish

Postby bergsteiger » April 19th, 2016, 9:12 pm

BK big fish wrote:Any idea why the water/mud spot in the switchbacks came back? It was dry for a few rides this year. BK

Yes, we know what the cause of the mud on that turn in the big switchbacks is.
That is a seep, so it is water coming out of the ground. Currently it is all marshy in the grass right above the switchbacks, some of that water up there drains through that seep.
It was likely dry early before the ground water really started to flow.
We have plans to fix that and in general the Park is on board with that idea. the fix will be french drain(s) and we are currently looking at turfstone like armoring.
We were just out last night looking at the trail and going over plans. going to start pricing out the materials to present the specific plans and get funding approved from CRAMBA.

The order of the fixes has yet to be determined.
Also on the list is the muddy area after the low boardwalk after marker 22, the mud near the base of the stairs my marker 18, the muddy crossings by marker 21. As well as a list of other smaller fixes.

Stay tuned for trail day announcements once I get all the projects planned, final approval and funded.
bergsteiger

Postby c0nsumer » April 19th, 2016, 9:13 pm

BK big fish wrote:Any idea why the water/mud spot in the switchbacks came back? It was dry for a few rides this year. BK

It's a seep, like a number of the hillside wet spots at River Bends. Very, very hard to contend with.
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby BK big fish » April 19th, 2016, 9:33 pm

Now it makes sense, I didn't notice the marshy grass at the top. The section was good to go until a week or so ago, when we got all that rain. Other than that, everything is dry! Even the large tree by the river ride is cut and now no dis-mounting! BK
BK big fish

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments