CRAMBA: Bloomer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bloomer

Postby keving98 » November 27th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Rode Bloomer Thanksgiving afternoon. Nice ride. Trail is a little slick in spots but only truly muddy between the railroad grades and the mud holes after the boardwalk. I came across 4 large trees down. One tree as you approach the boardwalk, one tree in the middle of Art's Lung Buster (just before where the last big tree fell there), one tree halfway up the asphalt climb that starts next to the third set of stairs heading west and another I can't remember where right after the boardwalk. There were a few smaller trees down but none that required a dismount.

I haven't been clearing any trees myself lately as someone stole my chainsaw that I had stashed by the river (chainsaw karma is a *beep*).

Thanks for blowing the leaves of the trail Dustin. I got lucky and rode it either the day you finished or the next. Not only did it make riding more enjoyable but it introduced me to all the trails that other people are riding. I've only been riding about two-thirds of the trails that are out there (for decades). Following the cleared trails was like having turn-by-turn navigation.

Cheers.
keving98

Postby keving98 » December 6th, 2014, 12:00 am

Rode this morning (Friday the 5th). The temperature was 32.7 when I got on the bike at 8:30 a.m. and the trails were ideal (to me). The trails were bone dry. I expected the puddles between the railroad grades and after the boardwalk to at least have ice in the bottom but they were dry. The downed trees I mentioned in the last post are still there.
keving98

Postby bergsteiger » December 9th, 2014, 5:57 pm

thanks for the update.

trying to manufacture some time to get out there and get the worst of the trees
bergsteiger

Postby bergsteiger » December 10th, 2014, 9:34 pm

the trees reported be Kevin have been cleared.
I got the trees before and after the boardwalk, and the tree on the uphill by the stairs. The tree in the lung buster looked to have been cleared.
I also cleared a few spots on the RR Grade, one just after the bridge from the clinton river trail, and one blocking the small bit of single track between the 2 sections of RR grade.
Today I rode the rr grades, then the single track to the double track crossing after the boardwalk, then skipped over to the lung buster, the upper ridge and the big switchbacks, as well as the small loop by the stairs. All of that was clear after I cut out the trees.

Also as a general note please do not ride if the trail thaws during the day time. It was hard and frozen or dry this evening when I was out after 6, but there were some spots that had been ridden wet. But if the trail is frozen/dry get out and ride.
bergsteiger

Postby keving98 » December 13th, 2014, 7:26 am

Thanks bergsteiger!

I was out at 7:30 a.m. (~29 degrees) Friday and the trails were as good as they've been all year (except crashing is going to be a little more painful if you don't land in the leaves).
keving98

Postby keving98 » December 14th, 2014, 6:31 am

Got the two trees by the bridge and the tree by the jumps. There was still a leaner by the velodrome on Friday that I'll try and get to when the ground refreezes.
keving98

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments