CRAMBA: Bloomer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bloomer

Postby bergsteiger » September 22nd, 2014, 7:25 pm

Got out and removed some trees today.
- tree on the small switch backs before the tech loop mentioned by Lunge Bob
- small tree on the downhill first small switchback past the parking lot (near the sled hill too)
- leaner and another one that you had to duck right before the 2 track on the way to the big switch backs (at the end of the section of trail after the upper ridge)
- leaner at the top of the big switch backs
- cleaned a path through the mess just before the big switch backs. A path cleared so you do not have to head out on the grass. There is some rose in the branches that are left, just a warning to not get too close to the right side there.

I did not ride the whole trail so I hope I got all the trees out. I did ask a few riders and was told it was clear. I hope to go get a complete loop in the next few days.

Also please give the trail a few days to try out after a few days of rain, there were a bunch of muddy spots out there today, and some sections that were not a problem now need work (yes the problem spots were likely bad too).
bergsteiger

Postby Steve_Kinley » September 22nd, 2014, 7:42 pm

Thanks
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby bergsteiger » September 24th, 2014, 7:34 pm

I think I missed the memo about everyone ride Bloomer day. It was great to see so many folks out riding today.

Met keving98 and we did a bit of drain digging in a few of the muddy spots in the single track between the RR grade and the Cricket field ( most of the work was right at the start). Hope to be getting out and working on getting more of those spots dried out soon.
bergsteiger

Postby Archangel6 » October 15th, 2014, 2:30 pm

How is Bloomer after a rain like yesterday? I have 1.5hrs to kill in that area and was going to mess around.
Archangel6

Postby bergsteiger » October 15th, 2014, 2:37 pm

my guess would be really wet down low, and the normal problem spots. Bloomer is slower to dry. some areas probably will be fine, and others way over the edge.

not having been there today to look today.
bergsteiger

Postby urbaindk » October 17th, 2014, 7:03 pm

bergsteiger wrote:my guess would be really wet down low, and the normal problem spots. Bloomer is slower to dry. some areas probably will be fine, and others way over the edge.

not having been there today to look today.

As of yesterday and as suggested by the above post, the second half of the down low twisty section had the usual mud holes but was generally rideable in between. A few similar spots existed up top. The ridge stuff was all good. There are enough leaves down that you need to corner judiciously especially since it's a little greasy underneath and in a few spots in some of the flatter sections before coming out to the cricket fields you really have to pay attention because the trail bed is almost indistinguishable from the surrounding woodlands. In other words, it's fall.
urbaindk

Postby mikewoods » October 20th, 2014, 7:56 am

I got out on Friday afternoon. I rode in from the CRT to signpost #23 and jumped on the single track. I'd never been on the MTB trails at bloomer before, so I just tired to follow the signage. I ended up getting lost toward the end when the trail spits you out near the Cricket field. I looked at the map and tried to follow the MTB trail but i couldn't follow it so ended up just taking the two track back to signpost #23 on my way out. The trail seemed the be in good shape save for a few muddy spots in the corners. No trees down that I remember.
mikewoods

Postby bergsteiger » October 22nd, 2014, 8:03 pm

mikewoods wrote:I got out on Friday afternoon. I rode in from the CRT to signpost #23 and jumped on the single track. I'd never been on the MTB trails at bloomer before, so I just tired to follow the signage. I ended up getting lost toward the end when the trail spits you out near the Cricket field. I looked at the map and tried to follow the MTB trail but i couldn't follow it so ended up just taking the two track back to signpost #23 on my way out. The trail seemed the be in good shape save for a few muddy spots in the corners. No trees down that I remember.

Mike,
there is a marked route, but a few sections need a few improvements. the singletrack breaks off a bit before post 23 when coming from that direction. after the parking lot there is a left turn into the rest of the loop that needs another carsonite sign to help (near the mtn ash shelter words on the map linked below). If you want a tour out there sometime shoot me a PM

Here is a link to the most recent map:
http://mmba.org/library/maps/bloomer/bl ... Jan-08.pdf

For trail conditions I got in the first half, up to the lung buster, skipped out becusae it was late and I still needed to ride home. the trail was leaf covered with a few normal softspots and one new wet problem spot. other than that in good shape so get out and ride.
bergsteiger

Postby Nowheat » October 23rd, 2014, 8:53 pm

I used to ride there in the mid 90's and I don't recall that many trails in the park. We would hop the fence by Yates and follow the trails along the river which now look to be out of the park. We would follow it around and it would *beep* you out by the bridge.
Nowheat

Postby urbaindk » October 30th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Rode most of Bloomer tonight. It's in pretty good shape. Just a few of the normal soft spots. There is one place that deserves attention, as you are leaving the tech loop (or if you bypass the tech loop) there is a fast little downhill. Right at the bottom there is a fairly good size mud hole that is somewhat new. Because of the speed and its depth you need to pay attention to how you hit it. Either manual or hop, just don't go in front wheel first or something bad might happen.
urbaindk

Postby bergsteiger » Yesterday, 10:09 am

urbaindk wrote:Rode most of Bloomer tonight. It's in pretty good shape. Just a few of the normal soft spots. There is one place that deserves attention, as you are leaving the tech loop (or if you bypass the tech loop) there is a fast little downhill. Right at the bottom there is a fairly good size mud hole that is somewhat new. Because of the speed and its depth you need to pay attention to how you hit it. Either manual or hop, just don't go in front wheel first or something bad might happen.

ya that is an odd one that just popped up and got deep fast. First item on my list to fix at the moment, hopefully sunday or monday at this point.
bergsteiger

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments