CRAMBA: Bloomer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Bloomer

Postby AaronEvan » April 5th, 2013, 8:02 am

kyleRIG29er wrote:
AaronEvan wrote:
kyleRIG29er wrote:
AaronEvan wrote:Great! Thanks!

Seriously if you pizza cutter my favorite trail...
Not sure if you're joking, but I had no intention of riding before the thaw and the trails dry up.

Your post made it sound like it could be soon. Thanks for waiting until it dries! If you have never been to Bloomer I ride it a lot and would be more than welcome to go for a ride with you when it's ready. (Although it's pretty straight forward now.)

Good to know! I was there once and I had a great time. I recently moved closer so it's now in riding distance taking the Clinton River Trail. Looking forward to this summer!
AaronEvan

Postby Kirby » April 15th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Any updates on Bloomer? I went out there 2 weeks ago and there were large sections of mud (along the ridge and down in Clinton River valley).
2011 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper HT
2013 Salsa El Mariachi Single Speed - Limited Edition
2013 Salsa Vaya 2
Kirby

Postby AaronEvan » April 17th, 2013, 1:20 pm

I'm wondering about current conditions also
AaronEvan

Postby pyrhana » April 17th, 2013, 2:09 pm

I rode a little of it yesterday 97 % dry- the spots that were wet were swampy - I got off and carried my bike way around the wet spots though you could see some people rode right through.
pyrhana

Postby urbaindk » April 17th, 2013, 11:33 pm

You are supposed to right right through. Walking around just widens the trail. The center of the trail, the part that gets the most use, is the most compacted and should be able to with stand the most abuse. The edges just tear up, collect more mud and make a big ugly mess. Ride through puddles, not around them, thanks!
urbaindk

Postby jalopy jockey » April 18th, 2013, 6:46 am

It was very rideable but moist yesterday before the rains. Except for the stuff by the river and trolley path that was a bit muddy. I didn't ride the last bit of single track.

So hit or miss for now with the rains. Probably a no go for this weekend looking at the forecast.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby ryany13 » April 22nd, 2013, 10:38 am

I headed out for a scout ride Sunday the 21st, clearing what I could with one person ( no tools ), making sure not to harm the trail. I can confirm what was expected after the storms/wind. Much mud and dsoft areas from water runoff in lower areas ( stay clear of anything past the stairs if trying to avoid mud ). I would give the trail a 60% ready grade; although much of the trail was ridable, many areas were soft or muddy.

A trail day with saws/chainsaws will be needed ( or Bloomer can be turned into a trail of log rollovers . . . ). I lost count of how many were actually down, but The first I encountered was protruding into the trail, so I managed to move it, the next is located ( not being too familiar with bloomer nicknames ) right after the big switchback heading into the lower ridge, this one is shown in the picture below. The trail after the lower ridge heading to the stairs has one tree looking to decapitate riders. As mentioned everything west of the stairs ( near the ski jump? ) and heading toward the trail along the Clinton River is very muddy; the area I managed to ride backwards ( assuming no one was coming from the swamped ski area ) near the Clinton River was not too bad with mud, however there were 2-3 downed trees. Where the singltrack resumes after the "speed zone" the trail is best, however I believe there were a few downed trees ( and as always plenty of deer just feet from the trail whom look like they would attack me if I made a complete stop ) , the only one I remember clearly was one with many branches blocking the trail before the "climbers finale".

My quick review: trail is 60% dry, with many downed trees requiring dismounts. Many chainsaw or log rollover build jobs are ahead, I would advise riders to give the trail a few more days; however with the rain revisisting on Tuesday, we should just wait for the weekend to give it another go, if you arn't racing Tailwinds's Pontiac Lake race on sunday.

ryany13

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 22nd, 2013, 10:41 am

I believe the TCs aren't planning on clearing trees until it's about ready, to help keep people off. (This trail tends to get destroyed in the spring by people who don't know any better, or don't care.)
CraveSingletrack

Postby jalopy jockey » April 22nd, 2013, 11:01 am

Last Wendsday the trail had no downed trees worth noting on maintained sections of trail and at least one of the TCs were out there. Some of what you mention I believe are off park property Yesterday evening the start was a mess so we bailed at the first opportunity.

I'm sure they will get out there once it is safe to walk/ride the trail.
jalopy jockey

Postby c0nsumer » April 26th, 2013, 10:53 pm

I'd say avoid Bloomer for the time being. Much of the trail is fine, but a lot is also greasy and wet. Give it time to dry out and things will be better. There are also quite a few downed trees in the area of the switchbacks and lower ridge.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Spinwheel » April 26th, 2013, 11:08 pm

c0nsumer wrote:I'd say avoid Bloomer for the time being. Much of the trail is fine, but a lot is also greasy and wet. Give it time to dry out and things will be better.

+1 ..
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Trail_Warrior » May 1st, 2013, 10:46 am

Any updates on Bloomer conditions? Wanting to get out there this afternoon...
Trail_Warrior

Postby c0nsumer » May 1st, 2013, 11:14 am

Trail_Warrior wrote:Any updates on Bloomer conditions? Wanting to get out there this afternoon...

It wasn't great on Friday, and we had a bit of rain since then. I'd say it's probably still not great, but check it out and go to Stony if it's greasy. I found it to be bad enough that I only rode about half a lap, skipping many segments, before backtracking out to the two track. Be wary of trees down on the switchbacks, lower ridge, and various other places throughout the park as well.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Trail_Warrior » May 1st, 2013, 11:50 am

Thanks c0nsumer... It's gorgeous out and I'm feeling adventurous so I think I'll risk it and check it out first. Of course, if need be I'll bail as to avoid any damage and ride out to Stony. I will post with a condition update for Bloomer later this evening.
Trail_Warrior

Postby jalopy jockey » May 1st, 2013, 9:38 pm

Trail_Warrior wrote:Thanks c0nsumer... It's gorgeous out and I'm feeling adventurous so I think I'll risk it and check it out first. Of course, if need be I'll bail as to avoid any damage and ride out to Stony. I will post with a condition update for Bloomer later this evening.

I'm gonna guess pretty nasty. My backyard is a pretty good indicator of Bloomer and it's squishy.
jalopy jockey

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments