CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby utabintarbo » August 13th, 2014, 8:33 pm

pharus wrote:
robzilla2008 wrote:I noticed Sheldon road is closed, can you still park at Stony Creek High School and ride into the park from there? If so, how? just ride down Sheldon on the bike?
Thanks!

There is a neighborhood road that connects sheldon to Meade to bypass the construction , so you can get to the fence entrance. On a bike you may be able to just ride thru.

We rode through no problem.

Stony is in very fine shape. One puddle and several soft spots in the Pines, and little else to complain about. :icon_thumleft:
utabintarbo

Postby Xtian1206= » August 13th, 2014, 8:38 pm

^^ just exactly what i want to hear!! Wahooo...
Xtian1206=

Postby onlycrimson » August 14th, 2014, 11:12 am

Rode Stoney yesterday for the first time in a few years. There was not much water or mud, but I was amazed at how washed out it is. Areas that used to have soil are just gravel. Otherwise it seemed fine.
onlycrimson

Postby robzilla2008 » August 15th, 2014, 9:25 am

Trail is in great shape, I was having a blast last night until my chain broke and I had to walk out... I'm heading back to Chicago this weekend and I will miss Stony. You guys have some awesome trails to ride, so make sure you appreciate and thank the trail coordinators, where I live, they are starting to get more single track but its a long process...
robzilla2008

Postby BK big fish » August 15th, 2014, 10:25 am

You should buy a multi tool and a power link.
Stony had sand in places where sand doesn't belong! getting loose on certain sections. BK
BK big fish

Postby c0nsumer » August 16th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Rode last night (Friday) and the trail was mostly in great shape, but as BK big fish says above, there was sand in the weirdest of places, and there's some sections which became quite eroded from the rain. It's a rough ride out there right now, and the sand which washed down hills makes some corners quite a bit more exiting than a week ago.

One big thing, I finally caught the guy who has been riding an electric motorbike on the mountain bike trails. I posted about that here in the Electric Mountain Bike Rant thread, and the takeaway is this: This guy is only dissuaded by the threat of police being called. If you see him in the lot getting ready to ride his electric motorbike (photo of his bike) please inform him that riding motorbikes on the mountain bike trails, which are designed for human powered use only, is not permitted.

He left without riding yesterday after I told him I'd be calling the park police if he set out. It's unfortunate that it came to that, but nothing else seemed to sink in with him. Keep an eye out for this guy and engage the authorities (586-781-4242) if he's riding anywhere but the main park road and parking lots. The park police don't take kindly to people riding motorbikes on trails (MTB, paved path, skills area, or otherwise).

The owner of this bike drives a dark grey Jeep Laredo 4x4 with a black 1UP USA bike rack, Michigan license plate DCU 3622. He is about 5'6", Asian, medium complexion, and wears prescription glasses (riding and normal use). His motorbike is a heavily modified black Motobecane Fantom Elite DS full suspension with the most notable features being the carbon fiber battery holder in the main triangle, power regulator mounted to the outside of the downtube, and hub motor assembly.

I personally have seen him riding at Stony Creek, CRPT (where he almost hit FLIPMODES and I), and Pontiac Lake. He's also been spotted riding the dual slalom line in the Skills Park, bashing low-hanging parts of his bike into the lips.

Please help keep him, and other motorbike riders, off of our trails.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby brokenbones » August 16th, 2014, 5:55 pm

I finally caught the guy who has been riding an electric motorbike on the mountain bike trails.

That's nothin', I saw a car driving on the 2 track today. It's a full-on epidemic!
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby InTeRnEt_RyAn » August 16th, 2014, 7:55 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Rode last night (Friday) and the trail was mostly in great shape, but as BK big fish says above, there was sand in the weirdest of places, and there's some sections which became quite eroded from the rain. It's a rough ride out there right now, and the sand which washed down hills makes some corners quite a bit more exiting than a week ago.

One big thing, I finally caught the guy who has been riding an electric motorbike on the mountain bike trails. I posted about that here in the Electric Mountain Bike Rant thread, and the takeaway is this: This guy is only dissuaded by the threat of police being called. If you see him in the lot getting ready to ride his electric motorbike (photo of his bike) please inform him that riding motorbikes on the mountain bike trails, which are designed for human powered use only, is not permitted.

He left without riding yesterday after I told him I'd be calling the park police if he set out. It's unfortunate that it came to that, but nothing else seemed to sink in with him. Keep an eye out for this guy and engage the authorities (586-781-4242) if he's riding anywhere but the main park road and parking lots. The park police don't take kindly to people riding motorbikes on trails (MTB, paved path, skills area, or otherwise).

The owner of this bike drives a dark grey Jeep Laredo 4x4 with a black 1UP USA bike rack, Michigan license plate DCU 3622. He is about 5'6", Asian, medium complexion, and wears prescription glasses (riding and normal use). His motorbike is a heavily modified black Motobecane Fantom Elite DS full suspension with the most notable features being the carbon fiber battery holder in the main triangle, power regulator mounted to the outside of the downtube, and hub motor assembly.

I personally have seen him riding at Stony Creek, CRPT (where he almost hit FLIPMODES and I), and Pontiac Lake. He's also been spotted riding the dual slalom line in the Skills Park, bashing low-hanging parts of his bike into the lips.

Please help keep him, and other motorbike riders, off of our trails.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. I, like many want shared access, but this isn't the same as fat bikes and cross country skis. Hopefully he'll get it.
201? Trek/Gary Fisher Paragon
"Who is John Galt?".......... "A is A"
InTeRnEt_RyAn

Postby PK » August 20th, 2014, 10:52 am

I asked the park superintendent about E-bike usage within the park.
Here is his reply:

The official ruling is that no motorized vehicles are allowed off the roads or parking lots.

If anyone observes the usage of an electric bike on the trails I would ask that they call the office (586-781-4242) and ask for an officer to be dispatched to their location.

Pete.
PK

Postby mbmoehl » Yesterday, 7:13 am

Large pine tree down between 7 & 6.

Also, large ruts/washouts between 24 & 15 as you exit the Roller Coaster. This is part of this weekends race loop and could be dangerous. I looks like the park is grading several areas of the double track, like the climb up from the F lot and the back side of WooHoo hill. Hopefully they will hit the are between 24 & 15 as well. Rest of the trail is in great shape minus the usual grease spots in the Pines.
RACING GREYHOUNDS
mbmoehl

Postby PK » Yesterday, 10:11 am

I plan to be out there Friday early afternoon to remove some of the sand washouts.
What race is scheduled for this weekend?

Pete.
PK

Postby utabintarbo » Yesterday, 12:44 pm

PK wrote:I plan to be out there Friday early afternoon to remove some of the sand washouts.
What race is scheduled for this weekend?

Pete.

Tailwind's Stony XC
utabintarbo

Postby PK » Yesterday, 2:24 pm

Nice!
Riders paying $$$ to work-in a groove.
Perfect timing with what appears to be freshly graded 2-track :D
If we don't get rained-out Friday, the racers should enjoy the sand removal...We did the same thing about (3) times last year.

Pete.
PK

Postby PK » Yesterday, 6:31 pm

Three Gear hill and other 2 track in the area are graded smooth.
Soft, slow, and smooth.
It will be nice if it gets a chance to pack down before the next big rain washes it all away again....
Fingers crossed.
PK

Postby PK » Today, 1:48 pm

We managed to work a bit this afternoon.

Note to self: In the woods with 85% humidity and low 80's temp and with no wind means No Trail Work.

We did walk most of the Pines and pushed some sand off the trail and worked on a couple of drains.
The most noticeable fix we did is the lead-in and climb to the Grassy knoll. It should be real nice for a while.

Thanks for the help Drew. Next time, let's pick a cooler day.

Enjoy,
Pete.
PK

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments