CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby SteelIsReal » March 27th, 2016, 6:40 pm

Whoever made the skills park where do I send the beer? Amaze balls. Made me feel alive again. Got a good crash had the back wheel above my head it was great. Haven't crashed in months. Got to hit the slalom and the pump track and get some air. Dropped my seat even. It was real deal. Lol. I owe you some beers.

The trail is sweet too. Only other time was much muddier. Other than the road along the road part with all the water it was great.

-Cole Trickle
616 Fabrication Racing
Website... http://616fab.com/
Facebook... https://m.facebook.com/616fab/

I also want to thank all my sponsors Haterade Hydration and Haterblocker Eyewear also want to thank Mother Earth for support.
SteelIsReal

Postby Church » March 27th, 2016, 8:35 pm

That route from #15 is that the one we dragged that huge pine tree and branches to block when we created that turn into the snake from #24 a few years back?

PK wrote:We've closed that route (From 15) before and new ones just show up.
That whole area is a mess.
The route from 24 down into Snake is the best one in my opinion.

Maybe after more people learn the route from Pines to Snake via #24, the route from #15 will get closed for good due to lack of use.

Now if you're talking about the other route from just west of #15 to snakes, I didn't think there was a problem there?

Pete.
Church

Postby PK » March 28th, 2016, 4:59 am

Yep, that's what I was referring to.

Yesterday was pretty nice out there.
Wearing shorts in the woods again...Oh yea.
Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » March 31st, 2016, 3:03 pm

Hey Everyone! Giving this a bump as a reminder for everyone here to fill out the survey about usage at Stony Creek (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/stonycreekmp) and attend the Master Plan Open House at the Stony Creek Metropark Nature Center on Saturday, April 2nd, from 1:30pm – 3:30pm.

I've spoken with the park and confirmed that this is a open house, presentation-style format. Typically at these each aspect of the park plan is presented as a station, with a representative for that aspect there to talk about it.

Be sure that you find the people who handle trails and bicycling and express to them that:

1) You want more mountain bike trails of all kinds (off road, single track, two track, etc.) at Stony Creek.
2) CRAMBA and it's 300+ members are ready to keep working with the Metroparks to make these new trails a reality.
3) Stony Creek needs to accommodate the growing winter sport of fat biking by not excluding them from mountain bike trails.

See you there!
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby PK » April 3rd, 2016, 5:33 pm

Well, today it never really got warm soon enough to dry up the recent snow / frost / mud.
We heard that the park has started to fix the troublesome wet 2-track that is back behind the house on Sheldon rd.
That's good news.
The bad news is they buried 3 trucks in the mud back there last week and have to suspend the work till it dries up.
What's worse, the work that was started seems to have made it worse than ever.
We couldn't even walk around or though it this afternoon. It appears to be a good 6 or 8" deep and a much larger area has been impacted.
Do your bike a favor and avoid this 2-track for a while.

Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » April 3rd, 2016, 7:51 pm

This is a big, huge thank you to everyone who filled out the survey and/or showed up to the Master Planning Public Meeting at Stony Creek yesterday! There was a huge turnout of mountain bikers, trail runners, and hikers and the park planners definitely heard that we want more trails.

So, what's next? CRAMBA-IMBA is working on a proposal for a complete single track loop.

Thank you for your support, and stay tuned! We're all going to have to work together to make this happen!
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Ti_fighter » April 8th, 2016, 9:39 pm

Stony was in excellent shape this evening (much better than expected). Dry and firm everywhere except for a couple of small puddles in the pines just before the long S shaped bridge. No trees down or obstructions.

Did not ride the 2 track in the NW corner.

Weather forecast tonight looks like most of the snow will stay south as well.
2013 Motobecane Fly Team Ti 29HT
2013 Motobecane FB4 Elite
2014 Specialized Crave SL
2015 Niner One9 RDO
Ti_fighter

Postby madmike23 » April 12th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Stoney was in really good shape. Some water in the Pines and on 3 Gear Hill. It is amazing how resilient this trail is this spring.
madmike23

Postby Berwolf01 » April 17th, 2016, 10:42 am

Stoney is in great shape. Get out and enjoy the weather!
Berwolf01

Postby CTB » April 23rd, 2016, 10:52 am

How did the trail do with the recent showers? Dry enough to ride yet? Thanks.
CTB

Postby okanejc » April 23rd, 2016, 11:15 am

CRAMBA Trail Day is today. Is there still time to pitch in?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
okanejc

Postby PK » April 23rd, 2016, 3:46 pm

Not sure if you found us.
We wrapped it up around 1 PM.

We had a HUGE turnout.
About 40 people in all.
Lots of trails section got some "love" today.
The rock garden is shaping-up to be quite a little feature. I think it's moved past the "garden" title it's had for all these years. I think the bypass is going to get a lot more visitors now.

Thanks to all the volunteers, you folks really got a lot done today.

Pete
PK

Postby cjn1014 » Yesterday, 9:14 am

Metropark management really needs to come up with a plan for marking the exits on single track as "do not enter". It was a free-for-all yesterday during the bike demo. Thankfully it was pre-leaf out, and the increased sight lines improved the ability to anticipate the wrong way users. It's not the average MMBA member or long time rider creating the hazard; its the novice and first-time users.

I know it won't stop the functionally retarded, the bullheaded, and I realize the vandalism aspect of maintaining signage, but we did put a man on the moon in 1969, I think it can be figured out.
We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "*beep*" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
cjn1014

Postby c0nsumer » Yesterday, 9:46 am

cjn1014 wrote:Metropark management really needs to come up with a plan for marking the exits on single track as "do not enter". It was a free-for-all yesterday during the bike demo. Thankfully it was pre-leaf out, and the increased sight lines improved the ability to anticipate the wrong way users. It's not the average MMBA member or long time rider creating the hazard; its the novice and first-time users.

I know it won't stop the functionally retarded, the bullheaded, and I realize the vandalism aspect of maintaining signage, but we did put a man on the moon in 1969, I think it can be figured out.

FYI, people riding backwards is a concern which has been shared with CRAMBA by the Metroparks planners. I hope that in reworking the trails at Stony Creek we're able to work with them to better sign the wrong way.

(Unfortunately there seem to be some quite-experienced riders who tear down Wrong Way signs that they disagree with, but that's another issue entirely...)
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments