CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby c0nsumer » August 22nd, 2014, 10:43 pm

Stony is in surprisingly great shape today. The work out there was definitely noticed, PK. Everything at Stony seemed to be in fine shape, except for where the park chose to not grade Woohoo, for some reason. There's some mighty ruts on both sides of it...
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby PK » August 23rd, 2014, 4:49 am

Here's my "plan" for Woohoo.
If it keeps eroding like it is, it will be deemed unsafe by the park and they will allow us to build a killer bypass.....
:twisted:

Don't hold your breath or complain about losing Woohoo though, it's not about to happen.
Likely, we'll get a crew together and fix it by hand.

The Tailwind crew mentioned Friday that they were going to hand-work the down hill 2-track near the entrance to "Snakes" as it's part of their race layout for Saturday. That will help as well.

Pete.
PK

Postby PK » August 24th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Stony was looking real nice yesterday right after the race.
Grooved-in and feeling fast.

Pete.
PK

Postby madmike23 » September 4th, 2014, 8:03 am

Rode last night. Trail was in great shape. Where is all the sand coming from? Is it from all the heavy rain?
madmike23

Postby Sortaslow » September 4th, 2014, 8:11 am

madmike23 wrote:Rode last night. Trail was in great shape. Where is all the sand coming from? Is it from all the heavy rain?

Yeah. Tough year. Some spots were like a sandbox!
Sortaslow

Postby KLydesdale » September 4th, 2014, 8:31 am

madmike23 wrote:Rode last night. Trail was in great shape. Where is all the sand coming from? Is it from all the heavy rain?

Take a look at the photos I just posted in the Pontiac Lake forum. Stony Creek trails have gotten hit by similar amounts of rain. Water flowing down the trail like that carries sand and deposits it anywhere it slows and pools. I rode LOHS trail last night and it had more sandy spots than I've ever seen there before.
Last edited by KLydesdale on September 4th, 2014, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
KLydesdale

Postby c0nsumer » September 4th, 2014, 8:34 am

KLydesdale wrote:

Take a look at the photos I just posted in the Pontiac Lake forum. Stony Creek trails have gotten hit by similar amounts of rain. Water flowing down the trail like that carries sand and deposits it anywhere it slows and pools. I rode LOHS trail last night and it had more sandy spots than I've ever seen there before.[/quote]

I think this year's rain is a huge illustration of why building trails built at an appropriate grade so water flows across the trail is important. It's not like you can really take that sand / soil and put it back in the ruts that were created. :\ It'd be best if it didn't happen in the first place.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Jim O » September 4th, 2014, 10:52 am

Steve,
You can say the same for Holdridge!

c0nsumer wrote:
KLydesdale wrote:

Take a look at the photos I just posted in the Pontiac Lake forum. Stony Creek trails have gotten hit by similar amounts of rain. Water flowing down the trail like that carries sand and deposits it anywhere it slows and pools. I rode LOHS trail last night and it had more sandy spots than I've ever seen there before.

I think this year's rain is a huge illustration of why building trails built at an appropriate grade so water flows across the trail is important. It's not like you can really take that sand / soil and put it back in the ruts that were created. :\ It'd be best if it didn't happen in the first place.[/quote]
MLB
Mama's L'il Brat
Jim O

Postby PK » September 4th, 2014, 11:01 am

And keep in mind, we've been out there removing that sand a few times this summer...It'd be a fattie-fest if we just let it go... :roll:

Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » September 4th, 2014, 11:46 am

PK wrote:And keep in mind, we've been out there removing that sand a few times this summer...It'd be a fattie-fest if we just let it go... :roll:

Pete.

Yep, you all have been doing loads out there. It's WAY better than what I'd expected.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby PK » September 7th, 2014, 11:11 am

Stony is pretty much "All good" today.
No trees down on the singletrack trails that we weren't able to remove by hand today.
We also filled-in some erosion about halfway thru the Back Nine.
Three Gear Hill is still pretty loose on the top but it has firmed-up on the lower climb.

Enjoy.
PK

Postby pat b » September 11th, 2014, 12:43 pm

There is a large tree blocking both the rock garden and the bypass trail in the Pines. Saw it this morn about 930.

Pat b
pat b

Postby PK » September 11th, 2014, 1:42 pm

Thanks.
Large as in bigger than handsaw-able, or large as in lots of leaves / branches?
(just trying to figure out what I need to clear it)

Pete.
PK

Postby pat b » September 11th, 2014, 2:13 pm

Bigger than a handsaw and lots of branches and what looked like vines.

Pat b
pat b

Postby urbaindk » September 11th, 2014, 4:49 pm

pat b wrote:Bigger than a handsaw and lots of branches and what looked like vines.

Pat b

Hi all, I cleared the left side of the rock garden of all debris. It is good to go. My equipment was acting up and I was unable to finish clearing the rock garden go around. It is all clear except for a 12" log sitting a little to high for hopping, but easy to step over.
urbaindk

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments