CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby utabintarbo » July 14th, 2011, 12:26 pm

M3 wrote:Stoney's two track would make for a pretty sweet night ride if I could find a black light bulb that would fit into my head lamp!

All of Stony makes for a pretty sweet night ride. Join us in November and you shall see!
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby M3 » July 14th, 2011, 12:36 pm

All those nice orange rocks an roots will help show us the path after that first dusting of snow!

All the kidding aside, I hope to join all of you this fall now that I finally have a light. I didn't get a chance to use it last year.
M3

Postby c0nsumer » July 14th, 2011, 1:24 pm

M3 wrote:All those nice orange rocks an roots will help show us the path after that first dusting of snow!

All the kidding aside, I hope to join all of you this fall now that I finally have a light. I didn't get a chance to use it last year.

The rocks are no longer orange. They have since been re-painted white.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby gossamer » July 14th, 2011, 1:30 pm

oh but there are still some orange ones too, they need to add some blue and yellow and it will add a nice touch to the wilderness.
"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption
http://www.fraserbicycle.com
gossamer

Location: Smack dab in the middle of nowhere, just a little farther than somewhere

Postby M3 » July 14th, 2011, 1:32 pm

If you leave from the parking lot, there is still a LOT of orange. I did turn to white once you get out by the road.
M3

Postby utabintarbo » July 14th, 2011, 1:51 pm

gossamer wrote:oh but there are still some orange ones too, they need to add some blue and yellow and it will add a nice touch to the wilderness.

Yes! Making nature more colorful! :icon_thumleft:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby Rock N' Rolla » July 14th, 2011, 6:02 pm

AllMountin' wrote:The first peep with the flat was me. Other dude got jealous cause I picked the best spot in the whole park to flat. You ain't cool unless you flat in that spot. ;-)

Today's log- double loop:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/oRFU2DWts-g

I got slower on the hardtail. :-(

dunno about a flat but I wipped out in that spot two years ago at those two trees close to gether... broke a brake lever and flat tire... woohoo I'm cool!
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Steve_Kinley » July 17th, 2011, 2:29 pm

First ride in a couple of weeks here, some of the downhills are getting torn up from braking on the super dry trail. Also, I think there were some low branches just after the first section in the pines, shortly before entering the fast left/right/ left sweepers in the small field section before reentering the pines again. Noticed that the trails across the creek had been cleared for the TT and the creek was ridable in both spots.
Hammer Nutrition Endurance Fuels and Supplements
Save 15% off your first order by clicking the link below!
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/34155
http://www.miscabike.org
Steve_Kinley

Postby Exodus » July 17th, 2011, 2:38 pm

Yesterday was my second trip there. I did a couple laps and felt pretty beat up. Is this trail rough on 26 hard tails, or am I just a sissy newb? hahaha

So far I have only done Pontiac lake, Bloomer, Riverbend, Bennett Park, and Bald Mountain but Stony just seems really rough to me.
Exodus

Postby xycarp » July 17th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Rough as in bad shape or difficult? It is a bit dusty these days. Makes kinda loose in some spots too.

As far as the ride... The roller coaster has wonderful flow. If I grinned any wider my ears'd spilt. :) At first I was not crazy about the pines but that's growin on me too. Stoney is my favorite ride these days.
xycarp

Postby Rock N' Rolla » July 17th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Nope... yer a sissy! :lol: Of the trails you mentioned Pontiac Lake and Bloomer are supposed to be more challenging and technical than Stony. However, on a day like this and the ones to come this week heat and humidity will add to the difficulty of the trail as well as other conditions too ( what did you eat :?: .... how many beers did you have :oops: ... did you go number 2 :shock: ). If you track the milage of The Pines, The Snake, The Roller Coaster and The Back Nine it's like 5 or 6 miles. As all trails go the more you ride them the faster you'll go.Also try to do a Wednesday Night Stony Ride. I been told they leave the parking lot at 7:30p from the Stony Creek High School parking lot at Teinken in Rochester and ride up Sheldon to the park.Check out their thread under Ride Announcments.They maybe able to show you a more efficient way to ride. Have fun out there dude. :D
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Sortaslow » July 17th, 2011, 9:11 pm

We leave from the school at 6:45.
Sortaslow

Postby Exodus » July 17th, 2011, 9:30 pm

I meant rough as in jarring. I didnt really find it harder to ride than Bloomer or Pontiac, just a ton of roots beating on me. I wasnt sure it with how dry its been if it causes the roots to be more exposed or something or something. I'll just have to man up i guess! :)
Exodus

Postby jalopy jockey » July 17th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Exodus wrote:I meant rough as in jarring. I didnt really find it harder to ride than Bloomer or Pontiac, just a ton of roots beating on me. I wasnt sure it with how dry its been if it causes the roots to be more exposed or something or something. I'll just have to man up i guess! :)

It was choppy out there today. I'm beat up and I rode a bunch of Niners all day. Well maybe its the all day part and not the bike. :D
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby JonathanGennick » July 18th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Exodus wrote:I meant rough as in jarring. I didnt really find it harder to ride than Bloomer or Pontiac, just a ton of roots beating on me. I wasnt sure it with how dry its been if it causes the roots to be more exposed or something or something. I'll just have to man up i guess! :)

After a summer of riding Brunos Run every week, the roots at Stoney were nothing at all. Besides, you guys painted them all orange. LOL!

I did notice the loose & dry sand though. The tires on the demo bikes were skittish on the loose sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Typos and terseness are to be expected.
JonathanGennick

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions