CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby PK » April 23rd, 2014, 7:01 pm

The trail is in great shape right now.

The fallen tree in the Bailout and the big pine just after that are still there although the big pine has been cut, just not cut away. I'm assuming the park did this and maybe ran out of time or had saw trouble.

The short, fall line trail that drops into parking lot "E" has been cleared. Sort of.
The trail now has been re-routed and is a bit less of a fall line trail now.
The Fun Promotions 6hr / 12hr race uses this trail so it should be grooved-in after that race on Saturday, May 10.

If you've ever wondered about racing, I'd suggest that you show up for this one. Even if you don't race, you will have the opportunity to ride the trail as it is marked for the race. This is an endurance race, so many of the racers are cruising rather than sprinting.
Show them some respect and enjoy yourself.
Who knows? Maybe you'll enter the next one. These races are very relaxed. (If that is possible while riding for up to 12 hours.)

This Saturday is a trail day.

9:00 am Westbranch lot "B"

Pete
PK

Postby jer091 » April 24th, 2014, 8:21 am

Fyi the Metropark will be having prescribed, controlled burns at various locations within Stony today, April 24th.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
jer091

Postby Church » April 24th, 2014, 12:39 pm

jer091 wrote:Fyi the Metropark will be having prescribed, controlled burns at various locations within Stony today, April 24th.

Ok this always confused me. Why would they do controlled burns? Get rid of excess debris or something?
Church

Postby Sortaslow » April 24th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Church wrote:
jer091 wrote:Fyi the Metropark will be having prescribed, controlled burns at various locations within Stony today, April 24th.

Ok this always confused me. Why would they do controlled burns? Get rid of excess debris or something?

Yup. Those leaves choke stuff and are a fire hazard. This a controlled burn, before an out of control one occurs. Forest floor growth is amazing 1-2 years after a burn.

Also, these uncontrollable out west forest fires are the result of severe drought coupled with build up of years of forest debris.
http://biketubes.blogspot.com/2010/04/controlled-burn-at-stony.html?m=0
Sortaslow

Postby urbaindk » April 25th, 2014, 12:25 pm

They also help burn off envasives and keep the meadow like habitat. 100's of years ago there was more pairie and less forest than there is today. Fires occur naturally, back then nobody went around putting them out. Many species require fire as part of their life cylce, and with out fire, they would die out. It's more about plant diversity at Stony. Go talk to the rangers at the Nature center, they'll tell you all about it.
urbaindk

CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby InTeRnEt_RyAn » April 26th, 2014, 8:36 am

Heading out tomorrow. Edit. Any concerns. I always stay on route and don't widen trail. Didn't want to tear up anything too gentle.
201? Trek/Gary Fisher Paragon
"Who is John Galt?".......... "A is A"
InTeRnEt_RyAn

Postby PK » April 26th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Big turn out today for the trail day.
About 25 people.
We got quite a bit done out there. Nothing major, but little improvements all over.

Thanks go out to all involved including;
Drew, Megan, Erik, Mike F, Don, Roy, Mike C, Matthew, Dave G, Ron, James, Michelle, Chris, Nikki, Rob, Alice, Gary, Ryan, Andrew, Dean, Alan, Dave B, Steve, & Nick.

(Sorry if I missed anybody)

I know a couple of pictures got taken, please take the time to post up here if you can.
And to those that went out and rode after we finished, please report how your improvements felt on your ride.

Pete.
PK

Postby Sortaslow » April 26th, 2014, 2:55 pm

And oddly enough as bad as this winter was, no snow on the trails! Here's last year's trail day with a touch of snow. I think it was April 20th.
How fast conditions can change! And here we all thought the trails would not be rideable until May!
Sortaslow

Postby mtb_frk » April 27th, 2014, 7:29 pm

There was a decent sized tree down in the pines just before the long bridge today. The rest of the trail was pretty much perfect.
mtb_frk

Postby PK » April 28th, 2014, 4:50 am

What time did you see the tree down in the Pines?

Pete.
PK

Postby InTeRnEt_RyAn » April 28th, 2014, 5:13 am

PK wrote:What time did you see the tree down in the Pines?

Pete.
mtb_frk wrote:There was a decent sized tree down in the pines just before the long bridge today. The rest of the trail was pretty much perfect.

I rode pines twice from 830-1030 and didn't see the tree down.
All paths were clear on pines, snake, roller coaster and back 9
201? Trek/Gary Fisher Paragon
"Who is John Galt?".......... "A is A"
InTeRnEt_RyAn

Postby mtb_frk » April 28th, 2014, 5:33 am

I was there around 3. It is a old dead tree that is right on the turn just before the bridge. It is probably 8" around.
mtb_frk

Postby PK » April 28th, 2014, 6:32 am

I dragged that tree off the trail around 4:00PM. Lloyd tells me it was all clear for him around 6:00PM so that must have been the same tree.
"All clear" Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along. :wink:

Pete.
PK

Postby i69whitey » April 28th, 2014, 8:14 am

A whole hour response time?
C'mon guys, WTF?

-whitey
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby Sortaslow » April 28th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Yeah, it's getting bad this year....
Sortaslow

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments