CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby PK » April 18th, 2014, 7:16 am

It rides a lot different than it usually does.
It's kind of a good thing, in a slow sort of way.
It kind of sounds like you're riding on a layer of Captain Crunch as well.
Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » April 18th, 2014, 8:04 am

PK wrote:It rides a lot different than it usually does.
It's kind of a good thing, in a slow sort of way.
It kind of sounds like you're riding on a layer of Captain Crunch as well.
Pete.

I have a feeling that all the small deadfall will help keep the trail surface together a bit better this year, too.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby madmike23 » April 18th, 2014, 8:10 am

I rode yesterday in the early evening. The trail was in great shape. There was a down tree in the pines that was turned int o a log pile crossing. The pile was unstable and collapsed on the back side. I tried to reinforce it, but it is pretty shabby. Hopefully nobody gets hurt.

Does anyone know why so many green pine needles had fallen? there were whole clumps of them? I don't know much about tree health. I hope they are not sick. I don't ever remember seeing that happen in previous years.
madmike23

Postby c0nsumer » April 18th, 2014, 8:26 am

madmike23 wrote:Does anyone know why so many green pine needles had fallen? there were whole clumps of them? I don't know much about tree health. I hope they are not sick. I don't ever remember seeing that happen in previous years.

They were blown off the trees by the storm that took down the trees. It was a really, really serious storm.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Church » April 18th, 2014, 8:27 am

PK wrote:TRAIL DAY APRIL 26 2014
Westbranch lot "B" @ 9:00 am.
Thanks.

Pete.

Just need bodies or tools as well and what kind of tools will you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Church

Postby Stick » April 18th, 2014, 8:30 am

That log is cleared madmike. That's the location of the widow maker as well. I wouldn't spend too much time in that area. The only place that widow maker has to fall is toward the trail, and it has a lot of pointy branches on it. Maybe on the trail day i'll go out there with a throw bag and line and try to pull it out of the tree that it's barely stuck in.
Stick

Postby PK » April 18th, 2014, 9:15 am

For the trail day, bring any favorite tools you want, but the chapter trailer will be there with more than enough tools to do the job.

Think about what on the trails you'd like to see improved.We can talk it over and see if it makes sense to work on.
Think "Erosion fix. Puddle fix. Optional log climb. Optional rock garden".
No guarantees, but we can talk about it.
I know what I want to do, and with enough people, we can we can get a lot of little things done.

Pete.
PK

Postby utabintarbo » April 18th, 2014, 9:40 am

I realize this is outside our purview, but there were a few spots on the 2-track that could do with a bit of water-control work. Especially the one between the THD and (closer to) #1. Just a thought...
utabintarbo

Postby PK » April 18th, 2014, 10:13 am

The two track puddle fixes is something we only seem to get to before the 6/12 race yet I curse them every time I encounter them. Lets put a shovel to them next week.

Pete.
PK

Postby PK » April 18th, 2014, 12:44 pm

I blew-off the Pines section today.
As mentioned before, we're going to leave the rest of the single track as-is. The decomposing "fluff" will help to minimize the sandy issues we ended-up with last summer. (The Pines has very little sand or grade for that matter)

Pete
PK

Postby blase » April 18th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Pete thanks to you and your crew! Trail is awesome! Hard to believe how dry it is. Thanks for all you do!
You must be fast cause you were hauling ass when I passed you.
blase

Postby Xtian1206= » April 18th, 2014, 5:18 pm

dry? schucks! should have not have last night and this morning's rain sway me from riding today... oh well, tomorrow will be a fun ride.
Xtian1206=

Postby lawn dart » April 18th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Stony was terrific this evening. Aside from the previously mentioned two-track water flow there was little evidence it had rained earlier in the day. My hat is off to the crew who do the maintenance.

The Pines loop was fantastic with plenty of traction. The Snake & Back 9 were clear and fast. Roller Coaster had trees down in two places; one near last year's re-route, and one just past the bail turnoff.

Plenty of crunchies and derailleur-snatchers, but in a month that stuff will be great soil.

Would love to help with tomorrow's Trail Day, but we have a previous engagement with Holdridge.

Again, GREAT JOB to all who have been working Stony. *thumbsup!*
lawn dart

Postby PK » April 20th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Thanks to the folks who stopped to help me today, the hilly 2-track that we use to connect the Pines with Snakes is now clear of the (2) fallen trees.

I also managed to clear the connector trail used for the 6/12 race. (Near the swamp cutout)
There still is the large tree down in that same area. The park has been notified, but if it doesn't get removed this week, we'll get it at Saturday's trail day.

The singletrack that drops you into the Westbranch lot "D" is still blocked, but the parallel powerline trail is cleared.

I didn't check the swamp cutout but I assume it's still got (1) fallen tree.

Otherwise, it's nice out there today.

Pete.
PK

Postby berto2cj » April 21st, 2014, 7:47 am

Report from a teammate who rode yesterday afternoon - there's a huge tree down across the trail at Stony on the second half of the roller coaster
KLM / Cold Stone

2012 Trek XCal 29er
2012 Trek Madone 3.1
2014 Redline Conquest CX

Mileage:
-2011: 702.8
-2012: 3,868.31
-2013: 6,025.06
-2014: 5,905.05 as of 11/2

2012 Iceman: 2:44 (broken chain)
2013 Iceman: 2:22
2014 Iceman: DNF