CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby wingzz » June 6th, 2011, 7:45 am

just because it was worse in the past is no reason to excuse the fact the it would be nice if A) people would wait till it dries up before riding the pines or B) they would just ride through the middle and not ride around the mud creating a huge mud pit, and C) if the people that did the damage were the ones coming out to fix it but we all know that doesn't happen very often
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby Trail_Warrior » June 6th, 2011, 7:52 am

wingzz wrote:just because it was worse in the past is no reason to excuse the fact the it would be nice if A) people would wait till it dries up before riding the pines or B) they would just ride through the middle and not ride around the mud creating a huge mud pit, and C) if the people that did the damage were the ones coming out to fix it but we all know that doesn't happen very often

Exactly wingzz, many aspects of the stony trail have developed quite nicely so just because it was bad in previous years doesn't make it okay to continue the same path. No problem can be solved from the same level of consiousness which created it.

Going to try and get out there early afternoon today... That is if I can sneak out of work un-noticed :wink:
Trail_Warrior

Postby dirt » June 6th, 2011, 11:30 am

wingzz wrote:just because it was worse in the past is no reason to excuse the fact the it would be nice if A) people would wait till it dries up before riding the pines or B) they would just ride through the middle and not ride around the mud creating a huge mud pit, and C) if the people that did the damage were the ones coming out to fix it but we all know that doesn't happen very often

Since you seemed to be unable to discern what I was saying, I was NOT saying that it should be ridden before it's dried up. What I WAS saying, in response to comments about how bad it is, is that the current conditions don't even come close to how bad the pines used to get.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby wingzz » June 6th, 2011, 12:41 pm

dirt wrote:

Since you seemed to be unable to discern what I was saying, I was NOT saying that it should be ridden before it's dried up. What I WAS saying, in response to comments about how bad it is, is that the current conditions don't even come close to how bad the pines used to get.

yes after 9 years we are starting to see some improvement out there but for the most part we just seem to be moving the mud pits from one spot to another, but as you said it is improving

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby dirt » June 6th, 2011, 1:37 pm

wingzz wrote:
dirt wrote:

yes after 9 years we are starting to see some improvement out there but for the most part we just seem to be moving the mud pits from one spot to another, but as you said it is improving

The long term plan is to finally force the muddy spots onto the double track, then let the park deal with it. :wink:
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby mtbike2350 » June 8th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Trails are getting pretty dry now. Instead of mud, we need to contend with loose sand :? I did have an issue on a 2 track between 22 headed toward 23. The steep downhill is heavily rutted from the rain runoff. It's hard enough to slow down on that hill, let alone avoid a rutt at high speed without getting your front tire caught in it. :x I think the park needs to smooth it up a bit there since I am assuming 2 track is the parks responsibility.
More excited everyday for the next chance to ride..

Bike
2012 29" Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
2008 26" Specialized Epic Comp

Computer
Garmin Edge 500 with Heart Rate and Speed/Cadence Sensors
Motorola Atrix 4G running Endomondo and Google Tracks
mtbike2350

Postby c0nsumer » June 8th, 2011, 10:32 pm

mtbike2350 wrote:Trails are getting pretty dry now. Instead of mud, we need to contend with loose sand :? I did have an issue on a 2 track between 22 headed toward 23. The steep downhill is heavily rutted from the rain runoff. It's hard enough to slow down on that hill, let alone avoid a rutt at high speed without getting your front tire caught in it. :x I think the park needs to smooth it up a bit there since I am assuming 2 track is the parks responsibility.

That spot has had a rut down the center as long as I've been riding. I find you just have to expect it and be appropriately careful.

It's even more interesting when it's rutted but leaf filled.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby bh357 » June 8th, 2011, 10:41 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
mtbike2350 wrote:Trails are getting pretty dry now. Instead of mud, we need to contend with loose sand :? I did have an issue on a 2 track between 22 headed toward 23. The steep downhill is heavily rutted from the rain runoff. It's hard enough to slow down on that hill, let alone avoid a rutt at high speed without getting your front tire caught in it. :x I think the park needs to smooth it up a bit there since I am assuming 2 track is the parks responsibility.

That spot has had a rut down the center as long as I've been riding. I find you just have to expect it and be appropriately careful.

Either stay to the right of the rut (can be a bit loose up top), or if you start to the left then hop the rut at speed (faster line). I agree with c0nsumer, the rut develops every summer.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby Ricky Billy » June 13th, 2011, 7:49 am

Rode stoney for first time yesterday afternoon. It was alot of fun. keeps you on your toes.
Shake - N - bake!! Shut your d*mn hole chip!!!
Ricky Billy

Postby chong » June 13th, 2011, 9:30 am

Trail was in good shape yesterday. Couple of soft spots in the pines, but we rode straight through them and didn't come away with any mud. That widowmaker on the roller coaster needs to go. I scraped my back on the bottom of it trying to ride under. Thankfully that's on a bit of an uphill section.
chong

Postby wingzz » June 13th, 2011, 10:00 am

chong wrote:Trail was in good shape yesterday. Couple of soft spots in the pines, but we rode straight through them and didn't come away with any mud. That widowmaker on the roller coaster needs to go. I scraped my back on the bottom of it trying to ride under. Thankfully that's on a bit of an uphill section.

I'll get out there this week and get it removed

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Postby chong » June 13th, 2011, 1:08 pm

Be careful. The pictures don't do the thing justice, its pretty huge and looks like it will come down in a heap!
chong

Postby wingzz » June 13th, 2011, 1:12 pm

chong wrote:Be careful. The pictures don't do the thing justice, its pretty huge and looks like it will come down in a heap!

I saw it on Saturday, thanks for the warning

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Postby nailgunn » June 13th, 2011, 2:31 pm

chong wrote:Be careful. The pictures don't do the thing justice, its pretty huge and looks like it will come down in a heap!

I thought we should just make that a technical ..... climb trail to the end of the log and bridge ride over to the other side :shock:
Let not forget to consider that as a choke point for the trail itself :D
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby onlycrimson » June 13th, 2011, 11:01 pm

Trail was in good shape today. Only a little water in the usual spots along the two track. Otherwise it was actually pretty dry out there.
onlycrimson

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions