CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby LCW » May 21st, 2011, 9:53 am

Hudnut wrote:The pines were a little sloppy. Everything else is great. Something horrible died by the stump pump. It reeks of death and fecces


that's common for Stoney... always seems to be one area or another that has the death stink
LCW
 
Posts: 5
Joined: June 23rd, 2010, 4:16 pm

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby PK » May 21st, 2011, 1:24 pm

The 2-track has plenty of wet, muddy areas to ride through but the Rollercoaster and Snakes are prime.
In the Pines this morning, we worked on most of the muddy areas after the main boardwalk, and before the banked boardwalk.
After that, there's still a couple of muddy corners, one of which had me dismount to keep from doing further damage to the trail.

Enjoy,
Pete.
PK
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 12:48 pm

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby c0nsumer » May 21st, 2011, 9:52 pm

Image

Here is what the promoters of the Back To The Beach Marathon & 5K running race (a one-day event) saw fit to every possible trail obstacle on the Stony Creek two track portion of the race. This photo was taken early this morning while Pete, Mark, Bill, and I were heading out to fix mud holes in The Pines.

This is permanent paint, and seems to be applied to every protruding rock and root on the race route. I even saw a small depression in the dirt (1" wide, 10" long, maybe 1" deep) painted, although most of that paint had soaked into the dirt.

This marking will likely be visible through the end of the year. I can only imagine the *beep* that we or mountain bike race organizers would catch if we chose to turn the trail into such an eyesore. If they go out and scrub off all the paint once the race is done I'll have no issue with it, but just leaving this in place is quite a rotten way to treat the environment you enjoy. I also wholly support marking the route with paint if the paint is applied to dirt (and thus will degrade quickly), but this is not that and thus ridiculous.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 11539
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby RMXByker » May 22nd, 2011, 6:22 am

c0nsumer wrote:Here is what the promoters of the Back To The Beach Marathon & 5K running race (a one-day event) saw fit to every possible trail obstacle on the Stony Creek two track portion of the race. This photo was taken early this morning while Pete, Mark, Bill, and I were heading out to fix mud holes in The Pines.

This is permanent paint, and seems to be applied to every protruding rock and root on the race route. I even saw a small depression in the dirt (1" wide, 10" long, maybe 1" deep) painted, although most of that paint had soaked into the dirt.

This marking will likely be visible through the end of the year. I can only imagine the *beep* that we or mountain bike race organizers would catch if we chose to turn the trail into such an eyesore. If they go out and scrub off all the paint once the race is done I'll have no issue with it, but just leaving this in place is quite a rotten way to treat the environment you enjoy. I also wholly support marking the route with paint if the paint is applied to dirt (and thus will degrade quickly), but this is not that and thus ridiculous.


Wow, that is quite disappointing. Is Pete going to take this up with the park? Seems that they don't quite understand how to treat a multiuse trail. I'm always amazed at running races in trails that it is necessary to paint every little obstacle. Why don't they just run on the paved path if they are scared of rocks...
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
User avatar
RMXByker
 
Posts: 1601
Joined: July 27th, 2009, 2:38 pm
Location: Lake Orion, MI

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby lilredrover » May 22nd, 2011, 5:13 pm

Terrible...

If the racers are worried about rocks, then why not run on the paved path or road?
lilredrover
 
Posts: 77
Joined: October 19th, 2005, 9:25 pm
Location: Shelby Township

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby PK » May 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm

Yea, I sent an Email to the park about the excessive use of marking paint. I hear through the grapevine that it is supposedly spray chalk, but a quick GOOGLE search on marking chalk and you get many choices. The easiest to find is more or less water-based paint with a minimum of a 30 day life. The true chalk spray markers are harder to locate, but those appear to do just as expected....Basically just wash away. (Not what we saw Saturday AM)

I've got to believe that the main user-group out on those 2-track trails is even more upset than us. Heck, we even got "yelled" at last year for draining the puddles on the 2-track that head back to Sheldon road. This walker told us that "that is natural" standing water and we should leave it be"....(She must be livid about the orange rocks!)

My biggest fear is that like many of us, we tend to copy what we see and more promoters will "follow suit"

time will tell.

Pete.
PK
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 12:48 pm

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby inasnit » May 23rd, 2011, 9:41 am

FWIW -- the entire 2 track section was NOT marked as heavily as the section in the picture above shows. The only reason this part was marked with such shocking saturation is because this is where the runners entered the doubletrack after running on the road 6+ of the previous 7 miles of running. We were half-way through a brutal half marathon and suddenly the environment completely changed. It was an issue of safety to alert runners that they needed to start paying closer attention to picking up their feet.

Beyond the Pines, there was very little marking. A few rocks or roots here or there. And no, we will not have to live with this for the rest of the year. A lot of it had already worn down by the time I went through there on Sunday and most will be gone within a week or two. Yes, it will stay around longer on the rocks, but its a pretty small section of trail that got the most of it.

With liability concerns, a first-year event, and over-eager volunteers, its easy to get carried away. We've all done it (how many rolls of caution tape do we use for the AO race each year? And that's just for keeping folks on an already marked trail).

This is not the first race that has painted rocks and roots, and will not be the last. I've never seen these markings last more than a couple of weeks - it happens several times a year.

FWIW, we used 8 cans of paint last year for MFO .. and a lot of that was on the doubletrack at Stony.
~marty
Team Trails-Edge
http://www.trails-edge.com
User avatar
inasnit
 
Posts: 1774
Joined: May 26th, 2003, 11:34 am
Location: Mount Clemens

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby bergsteiger » May 23rd, 2011, 10:27 am

inasnit wrote: its easy to get carried away. We've all done it (how many rolls of caution tape do we use for the AO race each year? And that's just for keeping folks on an already marked trail).


hey i resemble that remark. :lol:
User avatar
bergsteiger
 
Posts: 728
Joined: June 18th, 2007, 6:38 pm
Location: troy

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby utabintarbo » May 23rd, 2011, 10:35 am

bergsteiger wrote:
inasnit wrote: its easy to get carried away. We've all done it (how many rolls of caution tape do we use for the AO race each year? And that's just for keeping folks on an already marked trail).


hey i resemble that remark. :lol:


Yeah, we had to keep Erik busy with SOMETHING! :wink:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
User avatar
utabintarbo
 
Posts: 6207
Joined: June 21st, 2007, 12:29 pm

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby inasnit » May 23rd, 2011, 11:38 am

bergsteiger wrote:
inasnit wrote: its easy to get carried away. We've all done it (how many rolls of caution tape do we use for the AO race each year? And that's just for keeping folks on an already marked trail).


hey i resemble that remark. :lol:



:D :lol:
~marty
Team Trails-Edge
http://www.trails-edge.com
User avatar
inasnit
 
Posts: 1774
Joined: May 26th, 2003, 11:34 am
Location: Mount Clemens

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby Trail_Warrior » May 24th, 2011, 9:43 am

Any updates on conditions since these intense showers?
Trail_Warrior
 
Posts: 50
Joined: September 15th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby wingzz » May 24th, 2011, 11:03 am

Trail_Warrior wrote:Any updates on conditions since these intense showers?


pines is wet, the rest of the trail is in great shape
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
User avatar
wingzz
 
Posts: 7359
Joined: July 1st, 2002, 12:24 pm
Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby c0nsumer » May 24th, 2011, 11:26 am

wingzz wrote:
Trail_Warrior wrote:Any updates on conditions since these intense showers?


pines is wet, the rest of the trail is in great shape


How are Saturday's patches holding up?
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 11539
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby LCW » May 24th, 2011, 12:31 pm

wingzz wrote:
Trail_Warrior wrote:Any updates on conditions since these intense showers?


pines is wet, the rest of the trail is in great shape


sweet! think i will head up there after work!
LCW
 
Posts: 5
Joined: June 23rd, 2010, 4:16 pm

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby PK » May 24th, 2011, 7:45 pm

The single track was fine today, with the last couple of turns in the Pines a bit greasy.
Please ride though the middle of the puddles if you find yourself looking one straight in the face.

Pete
PK
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: June 10th, 2004, 12:48 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Toy529 and 6 guests