For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 7th, 2011, 12:40 pm

wingzz wrote:
HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:
wingzz wrote:
HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:
jalopy jockey wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I don't know. I don't head to the pines for tech features and difficulty.

Thanks for cleaning it up Pete and putting in the volunteer hours. It was a great ride, tonight.

Fwiw... you launch off that root and clear the initial depression and pop onto the berm regardless if it's filled in or not. All it used to be was a constant mud puddle.

Exactly the pines are a great warm up, cool down, scenic flowy recovery. Or my favorite use to take beginners/kids to show them the real deal without getting in over thier heads.

And yep Hipton kids and beginners should be instructed to walk it if you have to. My oldest (now 7) knows that he's in for a challenge if he takes the left lane in the pines. But there also is a place for a trail they can clean to feel good about the ride. Sections of the tree farm and the pines are those places and need to remain so.

I often like to point to tree farm when I think of progressive xc/freeride features being incorporated. they probably have some of the biggest, but I feel they are laid out unobtrusively. I think there are a few spots there you can certainly drop more than 6 feet if you carry enough speed into them. I am not advocating death spikes. kids can handle 6 ft falls all day long and not get hurt. if your in good shape and know how to fall, you probably can too. I crash still. you just dust yourself off. most falls don't end with a trip to the ER.

Novi is also a city park where it is much easier to get things approved whereas Stony is a metropark and there you have the HCMP along with the park itself approve anything we do, and they are more about conserving the natural land than worrying about mountainbiking

I understand, my tune hasn't changed since I started coming here. someone needs to take an advocacy position on pushing the trail features further, the sport keeps progressing and our trails need to reflect that. I also think in the case of stony, there are some bigger issues, I can't for the life of me understand why stony won't let the pines to snake (intermediate area) be connected with single track. it ruins the flow of the ride, those hill are dumb and turn into sand dunes mid summer. If I could change one thing about stoney, it'd be that.

I've pushed for that for 10 years now and every time we ask they come back and will not let us build any trail in any area that doesnt have existing bike trails in it already

what about an online petition? If they saw the level of demand, maybe they will fold? I am sure trail runners would be all for it too.
maybe I am confused by your response, but doesn't that section have existing trail? (intermediate, but it's trail).
I know you've worked on it, but maybe they think it is just a small minority that desires it, when I think it would be anyone using that trail would rather have it that way.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby PK » May 7th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Ben, there's been a few proposals submitted with regard to a singletrack loop. I resurrected one a few years ago. It was submitted to headquarters in Brighton and denied.

I would be all for something that would sway their opinion...If we don't try, it will never happen.
I think you should get with Inasnit and Consumer to draw up a new strategy. The last one, I sent to the former park superintendent and he forewarded it Brighton, So I believe the battle is with HCMP rather than Stony Creek.

Pete.
PK

Postby b63215b » May 7th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Just a thought - this coming from my wife, who is a former employee of Stony Creek maintenance crew - also c0nsumer's sister.

There has been so many changes in way of management of the Huron Clinton Metropolitan Authority, that any new ideas were always shut down. Only a year ago they hired a new director of parks, and only about 5 months later she was asked to leave. Major changes have occurred, and money is really tight. Understandably that any new trail that you all want created, you would be willing to create. However they want to have the power in what is said and done. The new "Trolley Trails" system was put in only after having to prove that it was incorporating the old "Inter-Urban" rail line. If there is some sort of history involved, they are more likely to do it. I have a feeling that some of the trails that you would like to bypass to connect the Pines and Snake have something to do with area that it would interfere with. Whether it's prairie grass area or an old part of the Sheldon Estate. There's history that's involved with those trails out there, and that's a big part of it. There possibly would be a way to say there is enough invasive species of brush out in the area that you would like the connector to be, and that could maybe push them to be willing to create a trail there. Autumn Olive (or Russian Olive) is very invasive and the park likes to remove it. Starting at the park maintenance level may help, then move on from there. Dave Kirbach is the maintenance foreman. Bill Remer is the Grounds Maintenance foreman. The Superintendent of Stony is Mike Lyons, anything he receives will always go straight to Kensington (Admin office). Being out of the park system for a year now, I know things have changed, but they are still willing to work with you as long as you let them have the power. Just my two cents.
?Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.?
- Dan Gable
b63215b

Postby b63215b » May 7th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Oh, and in regards with what PK said he submitted to the park sup and then forwarded on to the AO (Admin Office), they like to pass the buck. *oops did I say that* So if they don't make a decision about something, it's no skin off their back, and they pass it to someone else, who may or may not EVER get to the decision.
?Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.?
- Dan Gable
b63215b

Postby Roy » May 8th, 2011, 6:17 am

Maybe if we could find an old foot path that not used any more. I think I saw what could of been an old path the other day that might connect the two trails. Next time out I will investigate.
We might have to give more then we take to make this happen. There might be something the park wants done that the MMBA can do. Maybe we reforest a bandit trail they want closed.
An other approach, suggest a long term plan to make the trail a continuos loop by allowing some of the 2 track to revert back to nature. If the park didn't drive or maintain the 2 track it would fill in. The park could save a lot of money if they only maintained the outside perimeter 2 track and the cross (not a ski trail) 2 track, and the annual burn fire loop.
MMBA probably built more trail during the DNR moratorium then after it was sorta lifted. So if there is a will there is a way!

Roy
Roy

Postby utabintarbo » May 8th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Rode everything except the loop out by Sheldon, and in a word, it was perfect. Barely even a soft spot in the Pines. :icon_thumleft:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby Roy » May 10th, 2011, 6:21 am

It would be great if we could connect #19 to #20, then #6 to #7 and #7 to #17. Then to open up the race sections. This would yield a huge loop or a figure 8 with very little 2 track.
If the Bike/Running trail was mostly separate from the 2 track it would provide greater safety and quite enjoyment for the dog walkers and casual hikers and bikers.
Maybe the Park is still smarting from MMBA's push for the skills area. Pushing for more such features that Mr. Hipton wants could further strain MMBA's relationship with the Park. Stoney probably has the safest single track bike trail in the state. The trail has very little erosion from year to year. Almost anybody can enjoy it on a Huffy or a $5,000 race bike. So, I do not think we should venture into adding features that might further strain MMBA's relationship with the Metro Park system.

Roy
Roy

Postby RMXByker » May 10th, 2011, 6:48 am

What are people thoughts on Stony this afternoon? I'm supposed to take a group of guys from my shop on a tour. I'm thinking it will have dried up enough to ride (maybe not the Pines).
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby RMXByker » May 10th, 2011, 8:36 am

Anyone?

Stable
RMXByker

Postby RMXByker » May 10th, 2011, 9:41 am

RMXByker wrote:Anyone?

Bueller?

Stable
RMXByker

Postby wingzz » May 10th, 2011, 10:42 am

RMXByker wrote:

Bueller?

go ride and have fun
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby Ricky Billy » May 10th, 2011, 10:47 am

RMXByker wrote:

Bueller?

My friend rode yesterday and said it was dry. after the rain today it might have a few puddles but shouldnt be muddy.
Shake - N - bake!! Shut your d*mn hole chip!!!
Ricky Billy

Postby RMXByker » May 10th, 2011, 11:05 am

wingzz wrote:
RMXByker wrote:

Bueller?

go ride and have fun

HAHA...thats the plan. I don't think it will be bad at all. Just want to make sure the people I'm bringing don't get a bad first impression. Can't wait to get out of this cube and get on the saddle!

Stable
RMXByker

Postby nailgunn » May 10th, 2011, 11:08 am

RMXByker wrote:HAHA...thats the plan. I don't think it will be bad at all. Just want to make sure the people I'm bringing don't get a bad first impression. Can't wait to get out of this cube and get on the saddle!

When are you heading out ?
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby RMXByker » May 10th, 2011, 11:10 am

nailgunn wrote:
RMXByker wrote:HAHA...thats the plan. I don't think it will be bad at all. Just want to make sure the people I'm bringing don't get a bad first impression. Can't wait to get out of this cube and get on the saddle!

When are you heading out ?

We are going to try to be heading out from West Branch lot around 5:15. Your welcome to join. It will probably be a medium paced ride but group ride none-the-less.

Stable
RMXByker

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions