CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby dirt » May 6th, 2011, 5:55 am

Trailbanditt wrote:PK wrote
The root drop was 12"- 15" as I recall.
Two years ago, I was able to drive my garden tractor up that drop.
It will settle and a small drop will still exist.

Sorry but last time i checked a 12-15" drop was a small drop! Is this mountain biking or road riding on dirt


It's not the size of the drop, but the fact that you were dropping into a HOLE, on a corner, that was now collecting water, because they dug a HOLE.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
User avatar
dirt
 
Posts: 7363
Joined: May 20th, 2003, 11:44 am
Location: Mount Clemens

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby c0nsumer » May 6th, 2011, 6:34 am

PK wrote:The tree (Bush actually) that was cut down in the back nine in a "S" turn happened at the same time that the (2) fallen trees were cut up and removed on the Rollercoaster.
One of which was right around the corner from that "S" turn.
Since we requested that the park take care of the fallen trees, (Which is "policy" with regard to chainsaws in nearly every park) I can only assue that the park cut down that bush???
It wasn't Mike or myself....As I recall, that was a Honeysuckle, but maybe it was a Autumn Olive and most parks are trying to eliminate those...

I agree that the natural speed-check that was there will likely be gone now...

Pete.


There is already a line forming to the right of the stump.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 11560
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby RMXByker » May 6th, 2011, 6:55 am

c0nsumer wrote:
PK wrote:The tree (Bush actually) that was cut down in the back nine in a "S" turn happened at the same time that the (2) fallen trees were cut up and removed on the Rollercoaster.
One of which was right around the corner from that "S" turn.
Since we requested that the park take care of the fallen trees, (Which is "policy" with regard to chainsaws in nearly every park) I can only assue that the park cut down that bush???
It wasn't Mike or myself....As I recall, that was a Honeysuckle, but maybe it was a Autumn Olive and most parks are trying to eliminate those...

I agree that the natural speed-check that was there will likely be gone now...

Pete.


There is already a line forming to the right of the stump.


I'd hardly say there is a line forming since you were the only one I seen try to take the short cut...

cheater... :lol:
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
User avatar
RMXByker
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: July 27th, 2009, 2:38 pm
Location: Lake Orion, MI

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby c0nsumer » May 6th, 2011, 7:04 am

RMXByker wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:There is already a line forming to the right of the stump.


I'd hardly say there is a line forming since you were the only one I seen try to take the short cut...

cheater... :lol:


:P

Actually, last night there was a definite wear mark to the right, and I saw someone accidentally ride that way and then realize that the bush was missing. It's not a bad line, really. I imagine the trail will just start moving there over time instead of jogging around a was-obstacle.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
User avatar
c0nsumer
 
Posts: 11560
Joined: May 18th, 2008, 11:35 am
Location: Shelby Township, MI

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby gossamer » May 6th, 2011, 8:39 am

Maybe the invisible swordsman chopped down that bush!!
"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne in the Shawshank Redemption
http://www.fraserbicycle.com
User avatar
gossamer
 
Posts: 642
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 9:14 pm
Location: Smack dab in the middle of nowhere, just a little farther than somewhere

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 6th, 2011, 5:28 pm

i69whitey wrote:the pines just look messed up, definitely need some trail day love
and not by this 'new' crew
the berms and stuff is just...

...yep, even i am speechless this time

very nice work patchin the muddier spots, but...
i know i don't need to detail it for ya Pete.

also, just as you leave the ridge in the beginning of the back nine a tree was cut down in a nice tight little s curve.
was this done intentionally?
the stump seems to be healthy, i can't understand the logic of this one
that will end up a yard wider now once the short-cutting begins

or is all this preliminary work toward blacktop?

Hip III, 8 foot drops are 'medium' ? maybe for Utah, or some clearly marked spots in Copper Harbor.
not something that occurs naturally in these counties. i question the accuracy of your measuring tools

Like I said, it's in line with what skate/bike/snow parks build. I know that is probably a challenging notion to MMBA TC's and Land Managers, but I think the perspective on size needs to keep up with the progression of the sport. I believe we should build challenging enough features, that you could go out and ride any trail in the world safely. I think mountain biking is pretty great and I'd like younger people to get into it locally. If we don't support and promote the progressive aspects of the sport, it will be lost on the youth. Compared to sports like BMX, Snowboarding, and skateboarding, youth participation remains very low. just like you should advocate the building of novice features that you might not ride, you should advocate the building of advanced features.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
User avatar
HiptonRadcliffIII
 
Posts: 792
Joined: October 6th, 2007, 12:19 am
Location: Sylvan Lake

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby Sortaslow » May 6th, 2011, 8:35 pm

I don't know. I don't head to the pines for tech features and difficulty.

Thanks for cleaning it up Pete and putting in the volunteer hours. It was a great ride, tonight.

Fwiw... you launch off that root and clear the initial depression and pop onto the berm regardless if it's filled in or not. All it used to be was a constant mud puddle.
User avatar
Sortaslow
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: April 22nd, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: Clinton Township

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby jalopy jockey » May 6th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Sortaslow wrote:I don't know. I don't head to the pines for tech features and difficulty.

Thanks for cleaning it up Pete and putting in the volunteer hours. It was a great ride, tonight.

Fwiw... you launch off that root and clear the initial depression and pop onto the berm regardless if it's filled in or not. All it used to be was a constant mud puddle.


Exactly the pines are a great warm up, cool down, scenic flowy recovery. Or my favorite use to take beginners/kids to show them the real deal without getting in over thier heads.

And yep Hipton kids and beginners should be instructed to walk it if you have to. My oldest (now 7) knows that he's in for a challenge if he takes the left lane in the pines. But there also is a place for a trail they can clean to feel good about the ride. Sections of the tree farm and the pines are those places and need to remain so.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
User avatar
jalopy jockey
 
Posts: 2586
Joined: April 10th, 2007, 1:38 pm
Location: Rochester Hills

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 6th, 2011, 9:16 pm

jalopy jockey wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I don't know. I don't head to the pines for tech features and difficulty.

Thanks for cleaning it up Pete and putting in the volunteer hours. It was a great ride, tonight.

Fwiw... you launch off that root and clear the initial depression and pop onto the berm regardless if it's filled in or not. All it used to be was a constant mud puddle.


Exactly the pines are a great warm up, cool down, scenic flowy recovery. Or my favorite use to take beginners/kids to show them the real deal without getting in over thier heads.

And yep Hipton kids and beginners should be instructed to walk it if you have to. My oldest (now 7) knows that he's in for a challenge if he takes the left lane in the pines. But there also is a place for a trail they can clean to feel good about the ride. Sections of the tree farm and the pines are those places and need to remain so.

I often like to point to tree farm when I think of progressive xc/freeride features being incorporated. they probably have some of the biggest, but I feel they are laid out unobtrusively. I think there are a few spots there you can certainly drop more than 6 feet if you carry enough speed into them. I am not advocating death spikes. kids can handle 6 ft falls all day long and not get hurt. if your in good shape and know how to fall, you probably can too. I crash still. you just dust yourself off. most falls don't end with a trip to the ER.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
User avatar
HiptonRadcliffIII
 
Posts: 792
Joined: October 6th, 2007, 12:19 am
Location: Sylvan Lake

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby wingzz » May 7th, 2011, 6:03 am

HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:
jalopy jockey wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I don't know. I don't head to the pines for tech features and difficulty.

Thanks for cleaning it up Pete and putting in the volunteer hours. It was a great ride, tonight.

Fwiw... you launch off that root and clear the initial depression and pop onto the berm regardless if it's filled in or not. All it used to be was a constant mud puddle.


Exactly the pines are a great warm up, cool down, scenic flowy recovery. Or my favorite use to take beginners/kids to show them the real deal without getting in over thier heads.

And yep Hipton kids and beginners should be instructed to walk it if you have to. My oldest (now 7) knows that he's in for a challenge if he takes the left lane in the pines. But there also is a place for a trail they can clean to feel good about the ride. Sections of the tree farm and the pines are those places and need to remain so.

I often like to point to tree farm when I think of progressive xc/freeride features being incorporated. they probably have some of the biggest, but I feel they are laid out unobtrusively. I think there are a few spots there you can certainly drop more than 6 feet if you carry enough speed into them. I am not advocating death spikes. kids can handle 6 ft falls all day long and not get hurt. if your in good shape and know how to fall, you probably can too. I crash still. you just dust yourself off. most falls don't end with a trip to the ER.



Novi is also a city park where it is much easier to get things approved whereas Stony is a metropark and there you have the HCMP along with the park itself approve anything we do, and they are more about conserving the natural land than worrying about mountainbiking
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
User avatar
wingzz
 
Posts: 7360
Joined: July 1st, 2002, 12:24 pm
Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby Roy » May 7th, 2011, 7:31 am

I have to disagree with Mr. Hipton. The tree farm is an easer ride then Stoney, with the exception of 1 turn, before the tree drop in the expert loop.
I think the Tree Farm trail gives the allusion of being more difficult then it is. For example the log pile at the end looks impossible, but its very easy to ride.
The Tree Farm trail is a study in getting the most out of the land features. When we rebuilt the Tree Farm trail, we rebuilt it so fast (sometimes 2 miles a day) that City did not pay attention until it was almost complete. When the city clamped down most new trail building stopped. Now I bet it is easier to cut new tail at Stoney then the Tree Farm.


Roy
User avatar
Roy
 
Posts: 1812
Joined: August 14th, 2002, 9:04 pm

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 7th, 2011, 8:12 am

Roy wrote:I have to disagree with Mr. Hipton. The tree farm is an easer ride then Stoney, with the exception of 1 turn, before the tree drop in the expert loop.
I think the Tree Farm trail gives the allusion of being more difficult then it is. For example the log pile at the end looks impossible, but its very easy to ride.
The Tree Farm trail is a study in getting the most out of the land features. When we rebuilt the Tree Farm trail, we rebuilt it so fast (sometimes 2 miles a day) that City did not pay attention until it was almost complete. When the city clamped down most new trail building stopped. Now I bet it is easier to cut new tail at Stoney then the Tree Farm.


Roy

the skinny right before that log pile is very difficult (probably needs the entrance rebuilt at this point), the skinny across that smaller crater after the big crater is elevated 3 feet, the long skinny in the expert loop (I helped put that in) is not easy, right after that you have that hair pin turn then a root drop that if you hit with speed you certainly can drop more than 6 feet. the best part to me is that while those are all challenging features, you can certainly take a beginner or kid there to learn how to ride. I don't want that to stop or change, I really like the tree farm.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
User avatar
HiptonRadcliffIII
 
Posts: 792
Joined: October 6th, 2007, 12:19 am
Location: Sylvan Lake

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 7th, 2011, 8:20 am

wingzz wrote:
HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:
jalopy jockey wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I don't know. I don't head to the pines for tech features and difficulty.

Thanks for cleaning it up Pete and putting in the volunteer hours. It was a great ride, tonight.

Fwiw... you launch off that root and clear the initial depression and pop onto the berm regardless if it's filled in or not. All it used to be was a constant mud puddle.


Exactly the pines are a great warm up, cool down, scenic flowy recovery. Or my favorite use to take beginners/kids to show them the real deal without getting in over thier heads.

And yep Hipton kids and beginners should be instructed to walk it if you have to. My oldest (now 7) knows that he's in for a challenge if he takes the left lane in the pines. But there also is a place for a trail they can clean to feel good about the ride. Sections of the tree farm and the pines are those places and need to remain so.

I often like to point to tree farm when I think of progressive xc/freeride features being incorporated. they probably have some of the biggest, but I feel they are laid out unobtrusively. I think there are a few spots there you can certainly drop more than 6 feet if you carry enough speed into them. I am not advocating death spikes. kids can handle 6 ft falls all day long and not get hurt. if your in good shape and know how to fall, you probably can too. I crash still. you just dust yourself off. most falls don't end with a trip to the ER.



Novi is also a city park where it is much easier to get things approved whereas Stony is a metropark and there you have the HCMP along with the park itself approve anything we do, and they are more about conserving the natural land than worrying about mountainbiking

I understand, my tune hasn't changed since I started coming here. someone needs to take an advocacy position on pushing the trail features further, the sport keeps progressing and our trails need to reflect that. I also think in the case of stony, there are some bigger issues, I can't for the life of me understand why stony won't let the pines to snake (intermediate area) be connected with single track. it ruins the flow of the ride, those hill are dumb and turn into sand dunes mid summer. If I could change one thing about stoney, it'd be that.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
User avatar
HiptonRadcliffIII
 
Posts: 792
Joined: October 6th, 2007, 12:19 am
Location: Sylvan Lake

Re: Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby Sortaslow » May 7th, 2011, 8:45 am

I understand, my tune hasn't changed since I started coming here. someone needs to take an advocacy position on pushing the trail features further, the sport keeps progressing and our trails need to reflect that. I also think in the case of stony, there are some bigger issues, I can't for the life of me understand why stony won't let the pines to snake (intermediate area) be connected with single track. it ruins the flow of the ride, those hill are dumb and turn into sand dunes mid summer. If I could change one thing about stoney, it'd be that.[/quote]

On that point u are not alone.
User avatar
Sortaslow
 
Posts: 1976
Joined: April 22nd, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: Clinton Township

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby wingzz » May 7th, 2011, 9:29 am

HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:
wingzz wrote:
HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:
jalopy jockey wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:I don't know. I don't head to the pines for tech features and difficulty.

Thanks for cleaning it up Pete and putting in the volunteer hours. It was a great ride, tonight.

Fwiw... you launch off that root and clear the initial depression and pop onto the berm regardless if it's filled in or not. All it used to be was a constant mud puddle.


Exactly the pines are a great warm up, cool down, scenic flowy recovery. Or my favorite use to take beginners/kids to show them the real deal without getting in over thier heads.

And yep Hipton kids and beginners should be instructed to walk it if you have to. My oldest (now 7) knows that he's in for a challenge if he takes the left lane in the pines. But there also is a place for a trail they can clean to feel good about the ride. Sections of the tree farm and the pines are those places and need to remain so.

I often like to point to tree farm when I think of progressive xc/freeride features being incorporated. they probably have some of the biggest, but I feel they are laid out unobtrusively. I think there are a few spots there you can certainly drop more than 6 feet if you carry enough speed into them. I am not advocating death spikes. kids can handle 6 ft falls all day long and not get hurt. if your in good shape and know how to fall, you probably can too. I crash still. you just dust yourself off. most falls don't end with a trip to the ER.



Novi is also a city park where it is much easier to get things approved whereas Stony is a metropark and there you have the HCMP along with the park itself approve anything we do, and they are more about conserving the natural land than worrying about mountainbiking

I understand, my tune hasn't changed since I started coming here. someone needs to take an advocacy position on pushing the trail features further, the sport keeps progressing and our trails need to reflect that. I also think in the case of stony, there are some bigger issues, I can't for the life of me understand why stony won't let the pines to snake (intermediate area) be connected with single track. it ruins the flow of the ride, those hill are dumb and turn into sand dunes mid summer. If I could change one thing about stoney, it'd be that.



I've pushed for that for 10 years now and every time we ask they come back and will not let us build any trail in any area that doesnt have existing bike trails in it already
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
User avatar
wingzz
 
Posts: 7360
Joined: July 1st, 2002, 12:24 pm
Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest