CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby c0nsumer » August 26th, 2013, 11:05 am

Sortaslow wrote:We should call it Roger's reroute!

Ian bit it hard there last Wednesday, but didn't break anything.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Spak » August 26th, 2013, 3:53 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
Sortaslow wrote:We should call it Roger's reroute!

Ian bit it hard there last Wednesday, but didn't break anything.

Not broken, but might be a hairline crack or something from how it feels still.(its always the worst right when I wake up, but not as bad as last Thursday which was agonizing) Improving at a good pace, and I have an appointment with the Orthopedic place on Wednesday at 3. I really hope I'm decent enough for this weekend, I want to ride West Branch or Reagan park when I go to my parents house in OH.
Spak

Postby c0nsumer » August 28th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Semi-rotted tree about 6" diameter down between the Swamp Cutout and the little race entrance used during the 6/12 Hour. It's not any place where it'll really surprise you, but it's 2-4' off the ground and requires climbing over or a good walk around. Should be removable with a bigger hand saw, but it'll take some figuring out. Four or five people might be able to remove it.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby PK » August 31st, 2013, 2:07 pm

I didn't see the tree Consumer mentioned today. I went in via the Swamp cut-out and out via the 6/12 connector.
It appears that is has been moved.

It was pretty damp out there this morning.
It should be all set this afternoon / tomorrow.

Pete.
PK

Postby the jekyll » August 31st, 2013, 5:31 pm

I helped a couple of other guys move a tree today. Could be the same one. We just pushed it down the hill and off the trail.

The trail was, for the most part, dry but very sandy.
"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

Thanks,
Kevin
the jekyll

Postby UselessPickles » September 3rd, 2013, 5:11 pm

I rode 3 laps of The Pines with my kids yesterday in the morning, and the trail was mostly dry/damp, but not wet/muddy. I think there were one or two corners with avoidable puddles without going off the trail. I moved a couple small but potentially troublesome pieces of deadfall off the trail (at least troublesome for my kids' 16" wheels).

It was my 3-year-old's first ride at Stony creek, and he loved it. He made it half way through the rock garden, didn't fall off any of the bridges (came close on the inside of the curved/banked bridge because he went pretty slow the first lap), and even did the log pile that's at the bottom of a downhill (he pedaled a few times down that hill too!).

My 4-year-old was excited to finally get back here for his second visit to the pines. I missed it, but apparently he hit the log pile with some good speed. I was still at the top of the hill and he was excitedly yelling back, "I did the log pile!" A runner coming up the hill in the opposite direction had witnessed it and told me, "He didn't just do it; he went extreme!" He caught some air off of it and landed both wheels on the flat ground after the log pile :)
UselessPickles

Postby lawn dart » September 3rd, 2013, 7:10 pm

^ ^ ^
Awesome story. Great hearing about kid's "adventures" with their Dad. *thumbsup*
lawn dart

Postby UselessPickles » September 3rd, 2013, 10:11 pm

It was actually an entire family ride, so Mom gets half the credit for being an awesome parent:

UselessPickles

Postby utabintarbo » September 4th, 2013, 6:31 am

They'll be kicking your ass on the coaster before long! :D
utabintarbo

Postby i69whitey » September 4th, 2013, 6:37 am

Yep, the little log pile on the downhill is a good one. I tried telling my kid there was a way around it, all I got was a smile after he cleaned it.
Bob's right, pretty soon there's no catchin 'em.

Wait! did I just say Bob was right
:shock:
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby PK » September 9th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Thanks to Drew, Lloyd, and Mark for helping with our sand removal project today.
If you get out there before the next rain, you'll find that the entire Rollercoaster is now free of the deep sand piles. (It will re-appear unfortunately but it's good right now.)

Enjoy.
Pete
PK

Postby PK » September 10th, 2013, 4:55 am

Post up here if you're available Saturday morning @ 9:00 to help with a small piece of trail building.
We'd like to get an eroded corner rework-ed in the Rollercoaster.
It will required a bit of vine and brush clean up and a little bench cutting.

Pete.
PK

Postby FREEDOM35 » September 10th, 2013, 6:03 am

Rode yesterday morning, early, and the trail was perfect. Knowing the situation with the Roller Coaster, I avoided that one area. There was no wind, the forest felt darker and deeper than usual with storm clouds hanging overhead. All was still. I sort of felt as though I was riding in a dream. Then, on the way out, a single hiker commenced her solo gas attack, leaving a trail of Vanilla Fields from the TH to the second 3-way intersection. It was so thick my eyes watered, my lips became numb, and I would have lost my breakfast if I'd had one.
No one likes to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli
FREEDOM35

Postby jwilds1 » September 10th, 2013, 11:09 am

Planning on taking my son (age 9) out there this weekend. Since I'm new to Stony Creek, can someone outline for me the different areas, like "the Pines" and Roller Coaster? Any areas to definitely avoid or must-ride?
- John
Super-noob
jwilds1

Postby i69whitey » September 10th, 2013, 11:30 am

Pines is a must ride for any new rider and will be just a blast for kids. The roller coaster maybe a bit over their head depending on braking ability and skills. Other than the coaster the only real problem could be some of the long two-track down hills, I know my 7-year-old scares me blasting some of those because the upper body strength is so low.
If you want to make it really easy park out on Sheldon Road and go in the back way right to the pines.
Enjoy, while you can still keep up.

-whitey
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments