BLACK AND TAN
FOLLOW THE LEADER
grifter14

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby PK » April 28th, 2011, 5:12 am

Thanks for the tree report.
A message has been sent to the park.

Pete.

BTW the trolley trails were good last evening.
PK

Postby cjn1014 » April 29th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Not bad, a couple of tacky spots on the RC, didn't make it into the pines, though.
We train young men to drop fire on people, but their commanders won't allow them to write "*beep*" on their airplanes because it's obscene!
cjn1014

Postby c0nsumer » April 29th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Just got back from Stony Creek. The Snake and the Roller Coaster are both perfectly fine to ride. The single track segments heading up from F lot are also good. I didn't get near The Pines because the two track between the end of the Roller Coaster and the Sheldon Road area has standing water. I figured it wouldn't be worth the effort.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby jalopy jockey » April 30th, 2011, 5:22 pm

c0nsumer wrote:Just got back from Stony Creek. The Snake and the Roller Coaster are both perfectly fine to ride. The single track segments heading up from F lot are also good. I didn't get near The Pines because the two track between the end of the Roller Coaster and the Sheldon Road area has standing water. I figured it wouldn't be worth the effort.

It wasn't worth the effort. I turned back at the boardwalk.

A lot of the 2 track fenders needed.

Pines avoid :!:

Trolly trails, snake, and coaster are great.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby RMXByker » April 30th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Wife and I walked both halves of the Coaster this morning. It was in great shape!!! Get out there and ride...

http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby RMXByker » May 1st, 2011, 7:16 pm

Anyone get out to Stony today? I'm guessing it should be good for tomorrow afternoon on coaster and back nine. Seems like the Pines are most likely still out. Looking for some input!

Stable
RMXByker

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 1st, 2011, 9:19 pm

RMXByker wrote:Anyone get out to Stony today? I'm guessing it should be good for tomorrow afternoon on coaster and back nine. Seems like the Pines are most likely still out. Looking for some input!

I decided to give the pines a shot around 7 pm. it isn't really in great condition. there were about four puddles that made you feel like you shouldn't be riding in there. for the most part wet spots are fairly firm. I was by no means coated in mud, but little specs. its kinda your call, I doubt you'll add much damage to what already exists. If you feel bad about it, make it a point to fix it when it dries out a bit more.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby Roy » May 2nd, 2011, 7:54 am

The pines still need a little more work. The water flow ditches we put in just before the bridge have filled with mud. The real wet areas that Pete worked last year are dry as a bone, and the banked curves are great.
Mud holes in the pines are not a big problem because there is no place for the mud to wash to. It just makes for a muddy ride.
Roy
Roy

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » May 2nd, 2011, 8:34 am

Roy wrote:The pines still need a little more work. The water flow ditches we put in just before the bridge have filled with mud. The real wet areas that Pete worked last year are dry as a bone, and the banked curves are great.
Mud holes in the pines are not a big problem because there is no place for the mud to wash to. It just makes for a muddy ride.
Roy

the berms are sweet! that will be so much fun when firmed up a bit and the pines is dry. I really love the flow of stoney, if your willing to keep your speed up, the trail becomes so much easier. I was riding a 32/13 single speed set up, while I had to hike a few hills, it really helped push me to keep the speed up and charge when I could.
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby PK » May 3rd, 2011, 5:02 am

I am planning to be in the Pines after work today to do a some repairs to the trail.
Probably around 4:30....

Pete.
PK

Postby RMXByker » May 3rd, 2011, 6:34 am

PK wrote:I am planning to be in the Pines after work today to do a some repairs to the trail.
Probably around 4:30....

Pete.

Must be your trying to get it in shape for the all important Wed. Group ride huh Pete?

Stable
RMXByker

Postby PK » May 3rd, 2011, 5:36 pm

Did a couple of hours of work on the soft spots in the Pines today. It should be better now.

The berms which are showing up mysteriously have all been poorly built, mainly constructed from dead wood then covered in dirt. Once the wood rots, the berm will likely break down.
For now, I've been ignoring them but today I noticed that a drop has "developed" in the middle of one of the "S's". I filled the drop back in so it can be rolled by the majority of the Pines trail user group, and so as to stop further erosion around the exposed root that was the foundation of the drop.

All in all, the trail should be fine as long as it gets some dry weather.

Pete
PK

Enough with the all the berms already!

Postby luv2mtb » May 4th, 2011, 5:35 am

are we slowly turning Stony Creek into a BMX course? your dumbing up the trail!
"Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive,or that you really live" -Rise Against
luv2mtb

Postby PK » May 4th, 2011, 7:09 am

No MMBA "WE" that I'm aware of.
(For what it's worth, I agree with you Tom)

my $0.02

Pete.
PK

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions