CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby c0nsumer » August 14th, 2013, 3:06 pm

bh357 wrote:
Xtian1206= wrote:i thought the park closes at 8pm? i saw the park rangers putting the obstacles by the park entrance at around 8pm as i was making my way out yesterday..

http://www.metroparks.com/parks/index_all.aspx?ID=11&r=0

Stony closes at 10pm, except from Nov 1 to March 31 when it closes at 8pm.
They may block people from entering at some time prior to closing, but I can't say for sure.

Last night at about 9am the police closed the main gate. I was leaving right about then and saw it being closed.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby MajikSpoon » August 14th, 2013, 4:50 pm

I read an article today where I think they did another search for that 71 year old man who rode off about 3 weeks ago
More excited everyday for the next chance to ride..

Bike
2012 29" Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
2008 26" Specialized Epic Comp
MajikSpoon

Postby utabintarbo » August 15th, 2013, 7:07 am

Sortaslow wrote:Park closes at ten. If you do get caught you can be fined. It's up to you and your tolerance for risk.

FWIW, I ride out there all Winter, and am often there past the official Closing hour. I've never been hassled about it. As long as you guys aren't a problem, I doubt anybody will treat you as one. But the above is technically true, so YMMV.
utabintarbo

Postby Xtian1206= » August 15th, 2013, 10:55 am

And u still park by the trailhead parking lot?
Xtian1206=

Postby Sortaslow » August 15th, 2013, 11:30 am

No. Park is closed at 10. Closed at 8 off season.
Sortaslow

Postby utabintarbo » August 15th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Xtian1206= wrote:And u still park by the trailhead parking lot?

If this was directed at me: No, I park at Stoney Creek HS or on Sheldon. Occasionally elsewhere, but always outside the park if I'm going to be there past 7:30PM (JIC).
utabintarbo

Postby Xtian1206= » August 15th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Oh ok precisely my question re: high school parking as an option.

Thanks
Xtian1206=

Postby doubledubs » August 18th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Rode Stony for the first time today. The signage was a little confusing, but got better the second lap. The biggest issue I had was that I come around a blind curve of the intermediate trail when a pace line comes screaming around the corner right at me. If I had been two seconds quicker, it would've been ugly. My question is - Is it common for people to ride against the posted flow during high-use hours? If so, dumb. Seems like it would be safer if this occurred first thing in the morning or later in the evening when the trail isn't so busy.
doubledubs

Postby utabintarbo » August 19th, 2013, 5:09 am

doubledubs wrote:My question is - Is it common for people to ride against the posted flow during high-use hours? If so, dumb. Seems like it would be safer if this occurred first thing in the morning or later in the evening when the trail isn't so busy.

Only the singletrack (black on this map) is posted as to flow. All the 2-track (green & blue) is bidirectional.
utabintarbo

Postby doubledubs » August 19th, 2013, 7:26 am

Only the singletrack (black on this map) is posted as to flow. All the 2-track (green & blue) is bidirectional.

I see the note on the left indicating that black is single track and all others are two-track (though I thought that this was just a description of trail type), but what do the arrows along the blue trail indicate?
doubledubs

Postby utabintarbo » August 19th, 2013, 7:56 am

doubledubs wrote:

I see the note on the left indicating that black is single track and all others are two-track (though I thought that this was just a description of trail type), but what do the arrows along the blue trail indicate?

That's a good question... The above has always been my understanding. Those arrows must be a new, and previously unnoticed, addition to the trail map. FWIW, our Wednesday group ride and several races go counter to some of the arrows on the 2-track. Odd. :P
utabintarbo

Postby bergsteiger » August 19th, 2013, 8:35 am

doubledubs wrote:Rode Stony for the first time today. The signage was a little confusing, but got better the second lap. The biggest issue I had was that I come around a blind curve of the intermediate trail when a pace line comes screaming around the corner right at me. If I had been two seconds quicker, it would've been ugly. My question is - Is it common for people to ride against the posted flow during high-use hours? If so, dumb. Seems like it would be safer if this occurred first thing in the morning or later in the evening when the trail isn't so busy.

So my wife was not as lucky yesterday, as she got hit by a jackhole on the 2 way double track. He was cutting one of the 90 degree turns on the farthest west doubletrack (she was headed south and him north), so basically he was in her "lane" of the double track. He also basically just took off too after getting yelled at and did not actually sick around to make sure that she was really OK.
She is ok, but sore and a few bruises. If that had been a child either on a bike or on foot + the wrong parent, he could have been in deep....
bergsteiger

Postby PK » August 26th, 2013, 5:09 am

Nice job TAILWIND Racing!!
I rode just about the entire trail system Sunday morning and saw nothing to indicate that there was a race the day before!!!
Thank you.

On another note,
Keep a lookout for the fall trail day.
We will be doing a couple of small bench-cut re-routes and it would be nice to get some help.
The sandy drop-in on the roller coaster will be the most important one as that section of trail is currently really messed up.
We have a plan to fix it while still maintaining the flow into the hill up and out of that bowl.

Thanks again,
Pete.
PK

Postby utabintarbo » August 26th, 2013, 6:46 am

PK wrote:...
The sandy drop-in on the roller coaster will be the most important one as that section of trail is currently really messed up.
We have a plan to fix it while still maintaining the flow into the hill up and out of that bowl.

Thanks again,
Pete.

I was going to mention that. It was noticeably worse on my second lap than it was on my first, so the rate of deterioration is high. Good to see you have a plan for that thing. :icon_thumleft:
utabintarbo

Postby Sortaslow » August 26th, 2013, 10:31 am

We should call it Roger's reroute!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Sortaslow

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments