CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby jalopy jockey » April 15th, 2011, 5:56 pm

Rock N' Rolla wrote:Other than over doing it today( road half of the gravel grinder course, and some of Bald mt. before heading to Stoney) my slow going at stoney brought to my attention that some turds pulled up the wood post with the map on it, when you come out of the Pines.It was in the grass about 30 feet away.I dragged it back an put it back in its spot but it still way loose.An the map at 16 has been ripped down , no doubt by the same Hooligans!Oh yeah, sorry to the dudes who cought me cutting back to my car going the wrong way from 15( although I thought this section was two way?)

15 to 25 is one way UP!. any other way from 15 is 2 track and hence 2 way

Of and Stony is oh so good.

Seemed flat and smooth though. I could see the smooth seeing as it was my 1st time on a 29r but the flat seemed off cause it was also a SS. :?
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby Rock N' Rolla » April 15th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Ah, well noted, I WAS going the wrong way... My bad. Just truck'n back to sheldon before my leg cramp took over. Thanks for the correction. Lol, I guess I shoulda looked better at that map on the post I was dragging around. :)
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Xdmxer » April 16th, 2011, 9:57 am

So, according to the map legend all blue and green trails are two track but most have directional arrows pointing only one way. Can I ride either way? Btw rode the pines and some of the two track yesterday and all was good except for my lungs. Can't wait to get out again asap.
Xdmxer

Postby bh357 » April 16th, 2011, 11:58 am

Xdmxer wrote:So, according to the map legend all blue and green trails are two track but most have directional arrows pointing only one way. Can I ride either way? Btw rode the pines and some of the two track yesterday and all was good except for my lungs. Can't wait to get out again asap.

As far as I'm aware, the 2-track (blue and green) is 2 way. In fact during the Wed night group ride, we ride opposite the directional arrow from 20-16-15.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby Sortaslow » April 16th, 2011, 2:46 pm

I think the direction is the suggested direction when xc skiing?
Sortaslow

Postby RMXByker » April 16th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Anyone think that Stony will be ready for riding tomorrow?
http://www.BoughnerRacing.com

Stable
2011 Salsa Vaya (Cross/Road)
2015 Specialized Fatboy Expert (Fatty)
RMXByker

Postby jalopy jockey » April 16th, 2011, 10:08 pm

RMXByker wrote:Anyone think that Stony will be ready for riding tomorrow?

Bring you bike to the trailday and if it is ride the fixes in for us.
jalopy jockey

Postby HiptonRadcliffIII » April 17th, 2011, 1:06 am

I ride at stony all the time and the place still confuses me. I know my route and it is all the right direction, but try to cut back and there is a chance I'll get turned around. I know it discouraged me from riding the trail more early in my mountain biking history, after a bad time cramping up and riding what seemed like aimless 2 track, wrong way single track circles with a friend from Colorado. I think most are aware this is kind of a confusing trail (but really fun once you learn it's rhythm).
Responsible Consumer Announcement: If the place you buy mountain biking gear from is not at trail days, you need to find a real mountain bike shop.
HiptonRadcliffIII

Postby Trail_Warrior » April 18th, 2011, 8:52 am

No SNOW... Looks like I'll be patiently waiting once again to get back out there.

Is it just me or have there been a few re-routes since last year? It seems as though the single track just continues to get easier... :?
Maybe it's just time to add a few more laps into my routine?
Trail_Warrior

Postby jalopy jockey » April 18th, 2011, 9:10 am

HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:I ride at stony all the time and the place still confuses me. I know my route and it is all the right direction, but try to cut back and there is a chance I'll get turned around. I know it discouraged me from riding the trail more early in my mountain biking history, after a bad time cramping up and riding what seemed like aimless 2 track,

Thast aimless 2 track is great for hiking with the kids, and XC Skiing. Sure we'd love a dedicaled full loop but we have what we have to deal with and that is alot of existing 2 track that is still heavily used prior to the introduction of singletrack
jalopy jockey

Postby jalopy jockey » April 18th, 2011, 9:12 am

Trail_Warrior wrote:No SNOW... Looks like I'll be patiently waiting once again to get back out there.

Is it just me or have there been a few re-routes since last year? It seems as though the single track just continues to get easier... :?
Maybe it's just time to add a few more laps into my routine?

Not really since the fall. We did clean some stuff up but easier was not the intent.

Oh and it never gets easier you just get faster.
jalopy jockey

Postby dirt » April 18th, 2011, 9:48 am

HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:I ride at stony all the time and the place still confuses me. I know my route and it is all the right direction, but try to cut back and there is a chance I'll get turned around. I know it discouraged me from riding the trail more early in my mountain biking history, after a bad time cramping up and riding what seemed like aimless 2 track, wrong way single track circles with a friend from Colorado. I think most are aware this is kind of a confusing trail (but really fun once you learn it's rhythm).

Almost every sign at Stony (the yellow stick signs at intersections) have a "P" with an arrow, that will point you back to the most direct way to the trailhead/B Parking Lot.
Nick Shue

The content of my posts are not the opinions of CRAMBA/IMBA, and should not be construed as such

I...completely...agree........with Nick. -Di_bear
I have problems with flakiness.. -Di_Bear
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain.. and most fools do.
dirt

Postby i69whitey » April 18th, 2011, 11:47 am

dirt wrote:
HiptonRadcliffIII wrote:I ride at stony all the time and the place still confuses me. I know my route and it is all the right direction, but try to cut back and there is a chance I'll get turned around. I know it discouraged me from riding the trail more early in my mountain biking history, after a bad time cramping up and riding what seemed like aimless 2 track, wrong way single track circles with a friend from Colorado. I think most are aware this is kind of a confusing trail (but really fun once you learn it's rhythm).

Almost every sign at Stony (the yellow stick signs at intersections) have a "P" with an arrow, that will point you back to the most direct way to the trailhead/B Parking Lot.

and the numbers actually match the maps now too
if you were out there 2-3 yrs ago, this was not the case.

always recommend a Wed nite "tour" for new kids
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby jcrazyjj » April 21st, 2011, 12:12 pm

hows it looking guys?

never mind, i answered my own question a couple minutes later.
jcrazyjj

Postby c0nsumer » April 21st, 2011, 12:13 pm

jcrazyjj wrote:hows it looking guys?

Reports elsewhere say it's fine. I think the Wednesday night ride is essentially moving to Thursday this week.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions