Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby nailgunn » February 5th, 2011, 10:15 am

Di_bear wrote:BTW, sweet shoes.

hehe Thanks..
Yea those bad boys are ......... OLD SCHOOOOOL I am sure I would get the Grandpa jokes if I pulled them out. :icon_farao:
They are more decorative than practical for me right now.
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby jalopy jockey » February 5th, 2011, 11:11 pm

As Blacksword and I found out the trails are in great shape today. For 2 planks that is.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby mtb_frk » February 6th, 2011, 8:49 am

I am heading out there shortly. Hopefully the new snow isnt all mashed down yet from the walkers.
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby mtb_frk » February 6th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Lots of people out skiing, and lots of nicely groomed trails today.
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby Reptar » February 11th, 2011, 10:23 am

Are the park roads pretty clear? I'm thinking about getting out and riding some on the road this weekend.
Reptar

Postby c0nsumer » February 11th, 2011, 10:50 am

Reptar wrote:Are the park roads pretty clear? I'm thinking about getting out and riding some on the road this weekend.

When I was there skiing last weekend both the roads and paved loop had been well plowed.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby wingzz » February 11th, 2011, 10:55 am

Reptar wrote:Are the park roads pretty clear? I'm thinking about getting out and riding some on the road this weekend.

The park clears both the road andthe path but be aware they also use tons of salt, just a FYI
There are only two ways to live your life
One is as if nothing is a miracle
The other is as if everything is

MMBA Membership Director
Stony Creek TC
wingzz

Location: "The reward is looking back at obstacles , that are now behind you, and feeling like anything's

Postby i69whitey » February 11th, 2011, 12:50 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
nailgunn wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:If you're interested in trying XC, Stony has some decent stuff for $10, which gets you skiis, boots, and poles. When the trails are groomed it's quite nice there, and you can ski around all the familiar MTB places. :)

Were are the rentals at?
That would be a great thing to try. Especially after this little storm we just had.
I have always wondered about the differances between downhill and xc.

Some place you might know. ;) The golf course... erm... whatever the building is called where you pay greens fees, get carts, buy food, etc. Just park right there, head in the building, and set off down either the relatively flat (but fun) groomed paths around the golf course, or head into the woods and you'll be starting on the southeast portion of the two track that you've biked on.

FYI - the same building that sells beer

...just sayin'
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby b63215b » February 11th, 2011, 4:25 pm

In regards to grooming the golf course...

The superintendent of the golf course is the person who runs the snowmobile/groomer. He knows exactly where the greens are and where the delicate spots are. No worries as to going across the greens. And yes there is damage that can be done to the greens, especially early on in the season. The compaction of snow/ice on the greens will show in the spring. The compaction will cause rippling in the greens.
Skate skiing can be done on the groomed tracks when they are fresh. The best place to do this is across the golf course, the walkers and dog walkers tend to stick to the trails. The middle of the groomed area is wide enough to do skating. However when a classic skier comes, of course courtesy rules apply.
The greens are no longer roped off, so the only reason a person would go across them is due to going outside the boundaries of the groomed areas or, when fresh snow is on the ground and the groomed areas are not visible. Some water areas are roped off if they are in an area that could be dangerous. Many ponds are very deep (15-20ft) which cause them to not freeze as thick. The pond by the starter building has 4 areas that are 20 ft deep, this is the pond that irrigates the golf course.

Ok. My 2 cents.

Sarah Adams
(former Stony Creek grounds employee)
?Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts.?
- Dan Gable
b63215b

Postby utabintarbo » February 11th, 2011, 7:41 pm

Good info. Thanks, Sarah! :D
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby mtb_frk » February 12th, 2011, 2:23 pm

Skied Stony this morning. The track is basically gone in most places. There were a lot of people out skiing though, I havent seen the parking lot that full since last summer.
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby jalopy jockey » February 12th, 2011, 6:16 pm

mtb_frk wrote:Skied Stony this morning. The track is basically gone in most places. There were a lot of people out skiing though, I havent seen the parking lot that full since last summer.

I know it was great out there. I tried to park at the fence line on Sheldon no luck. Then I went to the golf course I almost had to go to west branch.
jalopy jockey

Postby M3 » February 14th, 2011, 11:42 am

Not to turn this into an XC ski post, but did anyone happen to ski yesterday? I just picked up my first set of skis Saturday morning up in Grayling and did some great skiing up there. I was thinking of heading out to Stoney after work and was wondering how the trail holds up to warm weather.
M3

Postby jalopy jockey » February 14th, 2011, 1:13 pm

M3 wrote:Not to turn this into an XC ski post, but did anyone happen to ski yesterday? I just picked up my first set of skis Saturday morning up in Grayling and did some great skiing up there. I was thinking of heading out to Stoney after work and was wondering how the trail holds up to warm weather.

It's the trail conditions thread and right now the conditions are for skiing.

Packed snow takes longer to melt so it may be doable. track set was mostly gone and snow was wet and fast on Saturday afternoon. Give it a go tonight cause it aint gonna be much for skiing in a few days.
jalopy jockey

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions