CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby Mboz » May 29th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Has anyone been out today since the rain?
Mboz

Postby TomE. » May 29th, 2013, 1:14 pm

I just got back from a ride there. 2-track has some standing water, but you can plow thru it easy enough. The singletrack was in really good shape, one or two small areas where the rear wanted to slide out. I skipped the Pines section, figuring that would be the worst.

Bike was a bit sloppy from riding thru the puddles on the 2-track, everything else seemed good to go.
TomE.

Postby Mboz » May 29th, 2013, 5:12 pm

Thanks Tom. Made a quick ride and gave the pines a shot. Good news is that while their are a couple puddles/slick spots, it's was incredibly ride-able. great work out there. Bad news... started raining as I was pulling out.
Mboz

Postby PK » May 31st, 2013, 5:26 am

I see that all one has to do to learn the trail section nicknames is to look at Google....

Pete.
PK

Postby mr_opjones » May 31st, 2013, 6:52 am

I noticed this too Pete, I thinks it's the crafty work of Consumer, nice job. Could you imagine the uproar 5-8 years ago with the bandit trail being shown, lol.
GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!!

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby c0nsumer » May 31st, 2013, 7:40 am

mr_opjones wrote:I noticed this too Pete, I thinks it's the crafty work of Consumer, nice job. Could you imagine the uproar 5-8 years ago with the bandit trail being shown, lol.

Thanks, but no, not me. I don't submit map data to Google because it's one-way into their system and doesn't allow for reuse / relicensing the way the OpenStreetMap system (essentially the Wikipedia of cartography) does. It's OSM that I use for collecting and aggregating data and making PDF maps.

One thing I've noticed recently, zoom out a ways and turn on the Bicycling layer and you'll see this.

All of these newly-added trails are being listed as bicycle routes, including Inwood Hiking Trails, the Nature Center, and part of the Golf Course. I can see this ending up as quite a problem. Either people unsuspectingly routed on to MTB trails thinking they are normal cycling routes, routed places bicycles are prohibited, etc. Some things (service roads that are open to bikes and are valid connectors) are inexplicably left off.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby NovaraAspen » May 31st, 2013, 7:42 am

How much rain did Stony get? I was hoping to get in a ride this evening....
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests. -Patrick Henry
NovaraAspen

Postby mr_opjones » May 31st, 2013, 7:59 am

The trail are good, a couple puddles and slick corners.

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby mr_opjones » May 31st, 2013, 8:00 am

c0nsumer wrote:
mr_opjones wrote:I noticed this too Pete, I thinks it's the crafty work of Consumer, nice job. Could you imagine the uproar 5-8 years ago with the bandit trail being shown, lol.

Thanks, but no, not me. I don't submit map data to Google because it's one-way into their system and doesn't allow for reuse / relicensing the way the OpenStreetMap system (essentially the Wikipedia of cartography) does. It's OSM that I use for collecting and aggregating data and making PDF maps.

One thing I've noticed recently, zoom out a ways and turn on the Bicycling layer and you'll see this.

All of these newly-added trails are being listed as bicycle routes, including Inwood Hiking Trails, the Nature Center, and part of the Golf Course. I can see this ending up as quite a problem. Either people unsuspectingly routed on to MTB trails thinking they are normal cycling routes, routed places bicycles are prohibited, etc. Some things (service roads that are open to bikes and are valid connectors) are inexplicably left off.

I was thinking google used the open street stuff. Maybe it was Todd Scott then.

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby c0nsumer » May 31st, 2013, 8:05 am

mr_opjones wrote:I was thinking google used the open street stuff. Maybe it was Todd Scott then.

I don't think so for two reasons.

1) OSM data cannot legally be reused by Google unless Google made it available to others under like terms.
2) There is data that I put into OSM for Stony Creek (and River Bends) that does not show up on Google Maps, such as the race entrance into the Back Nine. There is also stuff in Google Maps that isn't really there anymore, such as some of the stuff near the Fitness Trails along the lake which looks 2+ years overgrown.

I strongly suspect this is a hiker interested in mapping who may be taking his/her collected data and adding it. There's no way to see, though, since Google does not expose who edited what.

One thing to note, MapQuest Open does use OSM data and complies with all the license stuff. Their viewer is a little better (in some ways) than the one on openstreetmap.org.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby c0nsumer » May 31st, 2013, 8:07 am

That all said, I have wondered if Google is indexing publicly available GIS data (KML, GPX, FIT, etc) and using this to generate maps. I may set up a test to see.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Archangel6 » May 31st, 2013, 9:09 am

mr_opjones wrote:The trail are good, a couple puddles and slick corners.

Yep - what he said, just came back from there and it'd very ride able, just pay attention, oh and watch out for turtles, I saw a few of them on the trail.
Archangel6

Postby mr_opjones » May 31st, 2013, 11:51 am

mr_opjones wrote:I noticed this too Pete, I thinks it's the crafty work of Consumer, nice job. Could you imagine the uproar 5-8 years ago with the one trail being shown, lol.

Replace Why with How
mr_opjones

Postby bapski » May 31st, 2013, 1:48 pm

Archangel6 wrote:
mr_opjones wrote:The trail are good, a couple puddles and slick corners.

Yep - what he said, just came back from there and it'd very ride able, just pay attention, oh and watch out for turtles, I saw a few of them on the trail.

this is good news for me.. its been an upsetting couple of days being unable to ride.. .just wish the Mother nature will make up its mind...

Ill definitely be there tomorrow morning..
bapski

Postby Sortaslow » May 31st, 2013, 2:08 pm

PK wrote:I see that all one has to do to learn the trail section nicknames is to look at Google....

Pete.

It's missing the snacks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Sortaslow

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments