CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro North: Stony Creek

Postby nailgunn » February 3rd, 2011, 8:15 am

Di_bear wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:Stony Creek is in perfect shape right now...

...for XC skiing. There are set tracks on almost all of the two track, so until we get a goodly thaw and the snow starts to go away it's probably best to avoid the two track and leave it for the skiers.

I saw a while back that they were considering grooming the golf course for skate skiing. Have you seen anything like that? It would be fun to do a snowshoe or ski + Mills some Saturday.

As a Golfer that plays that course ....Many times a year, If they groomed the cart path area I would see no proplem. I am sure people would venture off path I am sure there would be no issues as long as the greens stayed protected. It is bad enough when you get that drunk fewl spinning donuts in the fairways with the carts leaving ruts all to bleeeeeep. There is alot of work that goes into maintaining a course greens most notably. I would hate to see a very good/challenging course go to pot to add an additional attraction during the winter months to generate income that would have to be used to put the course in playable shape.

Sorry Love my golf : )
2010 Niner Rip 9 Rip 9 Gallery

2012 Saddle Miles 210.33 mi

Is it fast? ....It has 10 speeds my friend
Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby Di_bear » February 3rd, 2011, 5:46 pm

nailgunn wrote:
Di_bear wrote:

...for XC skiing. There are set tracks on almost all of the two track, so until we get a goodly thaw and the snow starts to go away it's probably best to avoid the two track and leave it for the skiers.

I saw a while back that they were considering grooming the golf course for skate skiing. Have you seen anything like that? It would be fun to do a snowshoe or ski + Mills some Saturday.

As a Golfer that plays that course ....Many times a year, If they groomed the cart path area I would see no proplem. I am sure people would venture off path I am sure there would be no issues as long as the greens stayed protected. It is bad enough when you get that drunk fewl spinning donuts in the fairways with the carts leaving ruts all to bleeeeeep. There is alot of work that goes into maintaining a course greens most notably. I would hate to see a very good/challenging course go to pot to add an additional attraction during the winter months to generate income that would have to be used to put the course in playable shape.

I certainly understand the importance of greens to golfers. I would be surprised if the groomer actually went over those. Regarding skiing, skate skiers would not venture off of the groomed track because we sink in the snow. The only exception would be crust skiing, in which case the snow would be too hard for there to be any impact on the golf course. :-)
Di 2.0: Image
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

"He's like kryptonite to aluminum." - dirt
"There is a fine line between fearless and *beep* stupid." - Jerry68's wife
Di_bear

Postby jalopy jockey » February 3rd, 2011, 6:05 pm

nailgunn wrote:
Di_bear wrote:

Apparently you are unaware that they already groom for classic, which IIRC leaves a deeper yet much smaller impression in the snow.
I guess I'm lacking mental clarity because I don't smoke pot. " - Di Bear
jalopy jockey

Postby c0nsumer » February 3rd, 2011, 7:19 pm

jalopy jockey wrote:
nailgunn wrote:
Di_bear wrote:

Apparently you are unaware that they already groom for classic, which IIRC leaves a deeper yet much smaller impression in the snow.

I believe that Stony Creek has the greens and sand traps roped off in the winter. Also, isn't the ground rather frozen anyway, so greens and fairways would all be solid and under a layer of snow/ice? It's not like anyone XC skiing is touching the ground, except maybe with the tips of poles.
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby nailgunn » February 3rd, 2011, 8:23 pm

jalopy jockey wrote:Apparently you are unaware that they already groom for classic, which IIRC leaves a deeper yet much smaller impression in the snow.

Yep that would be a true statement considering that I am new to this group and I have never been to Stony during the winter.
I am a downhill skier not xc.
Since I have been in Michigan I have only been to Stony to golf.
I truly look forward to riding in Stony when the weather gets better and trails dry up.
If it came down to riding my bike or hauling my clubs sorry Golf wins : )
I was voicing my opinion not knowing about the full usage of the course during the winter. I was not trying to bring about a combative discussion. For some odd reason I read to many of those.

Thanks for enlightening me

Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby mtb_frk » February 3rd, 2011, 9:44 pm

I was out on the trails yesterday, lots of deep snow. I was the groomer until I got tired and turned around and was actually able to ski in my tracks instead of mostly walking. :D It was cool to be the first one out there in some spots though.
KLM/Cold Stone Racing
mtb_frk

Postby c0nsumer » February 3rd, 2011, 10:11 pm

nailgunn wrote:
jalopy jockey wrote:Apparently you are unaware that they already groom for classic, which IIRC leaves a deeper yet much smaller impression in the snow.

Yep that would be a true statement considering that I am new to this group and I have never been to Stony during the winter.
I am a downhill skier not xc.
Since I have been in Michigan I have only been to Stony to golf.
I truly look forward to riding in Stony when the weather gets better and trails dry up.
If it came down to riding my bike or hauling my clubs sorry Golf wins : )
I was voicing my opinion not knowing about the full usage of the course during the winter. I was not trying to bring about a combative discussion. For some odd reason I read to many of those.

If you're interested in trying XC, Stony has some decent stuff for $10, which gets you skiis, boots, and poles. When the trails are groomed it's quite nice there, and you can ski around all the familiar MTB places. :)
Steve Vigneau

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby nailgunn » February 4th, 2011, 7:37 am

c0nsumer wrote:If you're interested in trying XC, Stony has some decent stuff for $10, which gets you skiis, boots, and poles. When the trails are groomed it's quite nice there, and you can ski around all the familiar MTB places. :)

Were are the rentals at?
That would be a great thing to try. Especially after this little storm we just had.
I have always wondered about the differances between downhill and xc.

Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby c0nsumer » February 4th, 2011, 9:13 am

nailgunn wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:If you're interested in trying XC, Stony has some decent stuff for $10, which gets you skiis, boots, and poles. When the trails are groomed it's quite nice there, and you can ski around all the familiar MTB places. :)

Were are the rentals at?
That would be a great thing to try. Especially after this little storm we just had.
I have always wondered about the differances between downhill and xc.

Some place you might know. ;) The golf course... erm... whatever the building is called where you pay greens fees, get carts, buy food, etc. Just park right there, head in the building, and set off down either the relatively flat (but fun) groomed paths around the golf course, or head into the woods and you'll be starting on the southeast portion of the two track that you've biked on.
Steve Vigneau

c0nsumer

Postby KLydesdale » February 4th, 2011, 9:20 am

nailgunn wrote:If it came down to riding my bike or hauling my clubs sorry Golf wins

Be careful with this guy, folks. He's obviously mentally deranged. :wink:

Seriously though, if you do try XC skiing, beware that, like with downhill, proper technique and balance makes all the difference in the world. So get someone who knows what they're doing to show you how if you can. A few tips on posture and how to use the equipment more effectively makes it more enjoyable.
KLydesdale

Postby jalopy jockey » February 4th, 2011, 11:54 am

nailgunn wrote:I was voicing my opinion not knowing about the full usage of the course during the winter. I was not trying to bring about a combative discussion. For some odd reason I read to many of those.

Now was I. But your opinion came across as the combative one and was based on absolutly no knowledge fo the topic at hand. So I chose to not be wordy. Just concise in poining out your lack of knowledge or flawed logic on the topic. I am happy to see it is just lack of knowledge. I could have stated my opinion that there are far tooo many golf courses and let the dog walkers use them leave Stony as a haven for skiing in the winter.

Like others have said give Stony skiing a shot. Lots of fun for not much cash. If I knew when I was next taking my eldest kid out there I'd welcome you along.

I personally gave up golf for geocaching. It was much more enjoyable tooking for something in the woods when I had a GPS location ofr it. :D
jalopy jockey

Postby Di_bear » February 4th, 2011, 2:04 pm

Some friends took me geocaching, and I did enjoy it. I know...fortunately the great taste in beer and the mountain biking counteracts the geekiness of geocaching. ;-)

Kristi got a hold of me and will be taking me to Independence Oaks to get my skate on, but I still plan to invite people for a little get together at Stony at some point. :-) After all, it is nice to chat with friends of microbrews. Do you guys snowshoe?
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

Postby nailgunn » February 4th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Ha does looking for my golf ball in the woods count as geocaching ?

Di
It has a long time since I have snow shoed.... back in the mid 80's in New Hampshire.
I still have my shoes don't laugh
I am quite sure they would never hold me up these days. I think these were rated at 180lbs but need attention I am sure.

http://www.ngws.net/PhotoAlbum/albums/index.aspx?path=/photoalbum/albums/trek%20fuel%20ex8/20110204-185328-01-800.jpg

I may consider shoeing next year but I want to get back into condition ie.. drop 20-30-40 lbs : )
I was looking at shoes the other day but alas they were only rated for 200 including gear grrrrr

Ride in Peace ..Out
nailgunn

Postby jalopy jockey » February 4th, 2011, 7:15 pm

nailgunn wrote:Ha does looking for my golf ball in the woods count as geocaching ?

Exactly I had the same experience for far less cash.
jalopy jockey

Postby Di_bear » February 4th, 2011, 7:23 pm

nailgunn, perhaps if you let someone else break trail, and it's not like you're snowshoeing on 3' of snow. :-)
MCMBA Vice Chairperson
Team Tree Farm

Di_bear

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions