CRAMBA: Stony Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: CRAMBA: Stony Creek

Postby c0nsumer » April 26th, 2013, 10:30 pm

bapski wrote:wonder who's handiwork this is...NICE and GOOD JOB.. .

It's wholly possible that those are leftovers from the Shelden Estate there. Still, it looks nice.

Conditions are great out at Stony right now, with just a bit of grease in The Pines and the typical springtime wetness on the two track. A 4"-ish tree fell between laps of the Roller Coaster, but we were able to break it up and move it away. Weird fall, too, as there appeared to be existing deadfall on top of it, and very undisturbed-looking leaves.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby utabintarbo » April 29th, 2013, 7:53 pm

Only surface mud out there tonight on the singletrack. Will likely be perfect by tomorrow. The 2-track, however, has many mud pits. Be wary!
utabintarbo

Postby Mboz » May 1st, 2013, 10:05 am

utabintarbo wrote:Only surface mud out there tonight on the singletrack. Will likely be perfect by tomorrow. The 2-track, however, has many mud pits. Be wary!

It's about the exact same today. Pines is a bit slick with about a 10' patch of pizza cutters, but otherwise decent conditions. Should be great by tomorrow.
Mboz

Postby slsail » May 2nd, 2013, 6:38 am

COMMENT ABOUT FRESH TRAILS BEING CUT.
When I started rided trails out at stoney maybe 20 yrs ago.. There were few really good trails and single track. MMBA got involved out there and cut trails, seems like everywhere. and called it trail improvement. not really improvemnt but a lot of new single track, Not complaining at all but I guess it is to say at this point is to many trails , to many and who determines that.
We can cut and thin trees and make new trails for ever out there. but I do not think the intent is to make it a bike park.
Hard to believe somebody spent that much work cutting new trails and nobody knows about it?????????
Besides isn't cutting new trails without permission a violoation of something?
With that being said Park management has also allowed the catering Circus tent in the park at the boat launch. WIth the Dj's on friday night that really wrecks the serenity of the Park
slsail

Postby Thumbs » May 2nd, 2013, 7:08 am

I think the place is great! But if there are new(er) trails, just try to make sure us little people get an updated map... The other stuff the park does is to attrack more (and different) people. Doesnt bother me at all. The MTN bikes have their little corner of the park, whatever we can do to make it fun, let it happen!

Now to try and keep up with all you fast guys... LOL.
2013 Specialized Carve Comp - Green
Experience Level: (Novice)__ (Intermediate)_X_ (Advanced)__ (Ninja)__
Thumbs

Postby c0nsumer » May 2nd, 2013, 7:34 am

Thumbs wrote:I think the place is great! But if there are new(er) trails, just try to make sure us little people get an updated map... The other stuff the park does is to attrack more (and different) people. Doesnt bother me at all. The MTN bikes have their little corner of the park, whatever we can do to make it fun, let it happen!

Now to try and keep up with all you fast guys... LOL.

Check out the maps here that are under the Unofficial CRAMBA Maps section. These are the most-complete maps available of the mountain bike trails at Stony Creek and show more detail (and are more geographically accurate) than the official park map.

The last of the maps shows the Wednesday Night Group Ride route, if you're interested. We stop to regroup at 5 (just after entering the park), 19 (after riding the Pines), 25 (after climbing The Snake), and 21/Grassy Knoll after riding the Roller Coaster and Back Nine. After this point sometimes some of the group will add The Pines again or something else, just for a little more to do.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Thumbs » May 2nd, 2013, 7:48 am

Okay, yeah. These are the maps I have. Didn't know about the full web page of maps though. Your wednesday night route is the exact route we did last night, but we park inside the park and took/take the two-track back up after the Back Nine.

It's a good and fun ride. And we can try for personal 'section' goals each time out.
2013 Specialized Carve Comp - Green
Experience Level: (Novice)__ (Intermediate)_X_ (Advanced)__ (Ninja)__
Thumbs

Postby Sortaslow » May 2nd, 2013, 8:19 am

slsail wrote:COMMENT ABOUT FRESH TRAILS BEING CUT.
When I started rided trails out at stoney maybe 20 yrs ago.. There were few really good trails and single track. MMBA got involved out there and cut trails, seems like everywhere. and called it trail improvement. not really improvemnt but a lot of new single track, Not complaining at all but I guess it is to say at this point is to many trails , to many and who determines that.
We can cut and thin trees and make new trails for ever out there. but I do not think the intent is to make it a bike park.
Hard to believe somebody spent that much work cutting new trails and nobody knows about it?????????
Besides isn't cutting new trails without permission a violoation of something?
With that being said Park management has also allowed the catering Circus tent in the park at the boat launch. WIth the Dj's on friday night that really wrecks the serenity of the Park

What are you talking about?
Sortaslow

Postby slsail » May 2nd, 2013, 8:23 am

saw a comment about new r=trails being cut . But apparently this formum I am seeing the oldedst post first. So It must have been old
slsail

Postby slsail » May 2nd, 2013, 8:34 am

yep 2004
how do i get new posts on page 1
slsail

Postby c0nsumer » May 2nd, 2013, 8:48 am

slsail wrote:yep 2004
how do i get new posts on page 1

You don't. Click the little icon next to the person's name where it says Last Post to jump to the last post.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby PK » May 5th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Summertime dry out there. On the singletrack at least. The usual 2-track wetness is starting to dry up as well...
I got into the pines and replaced the rotten support in the "Picnic Table Top" boardwalk today.
Enjoy.

Pete.
PK

Postby c0nsumer » May 5th, 2013, 5:59 pm

PK wrote:Summertime dry out there. On the singletrack at least. The usual 2-track wetness is starting to dry up as well...
I got into the pines and replaced the rotten support in the "Picnic Table Top" boardwalk today.
Enjoy.

Pete.

Thanks for doing that. I presume this is the last one; as the rattle-rattle every time I'd go over it made me wonder how much longer it had.
Steve Vigneau
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson

c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby lawn dart » May 9th, 2013, 10:36 am

Stony is awesome, even after the showers that went through Wednesday afternoon. The Pines has some dark spots (not even wet really), and the climb to Mt Sheldon, the Roller Coaster and Back Nine were dry and fast with a couple of loose and dusty spots.
Great riding.
lawn dart

Postby irishpitbull » May 9th, 2013, 10:38 am

Scouted it out yesterday for the 12 hour. Pretty fun little park.
2014 S-Works Epic
2013 CruX Expert Carbon Disc
2014 Surly Pugsley
irishpitbull

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments