Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Irish57 » April 12th, 2015, 11:04 am

Cramer you mentioned in your post that a 2mile two track was recently added at Yankee. Where would that be ? I'm trying to get back into shape but at this point 13 miles would be too long. Thanks!
Irish57

Postby cramer » April 13th, 2015, 8:36 am

Irish57 wrote:Cramer you mentioned in your post that a 2mile two track was recently added at Yankee. Where would that be ? I'm trying to get back into shape but at this point 13 miles would be too long. Thanks!

Somewhere around 7-8 miles in, just past where the old super steep rubber mat climb used to be, you come to a section where it's unnaturally clear of trees because they've been cut for power lines. You go down that hill and about 100 yards after that is where the trail splits off. To the right is the newer section that follows a ski trail out and back and if you go left you just continue on the original trail route. That's about as well as I can describe it going from memory. It looks like an "optional" section of trail so it's not hard to bypass and there may even be a sign there.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » April 13th, 2015, 8:53 am

cramer wrote:
Irish57 wrote:Cramer you mentioned in your post that a 2mile two track was recently added at Yankee. Where would that be ? I'm trying to get back into shape but at this point 13 miles would be too long. Thanks!

Somewhere around 7-8 miles in, just past where the old super steep rubber mat climb used to be, you come to a section where it's unnaturally clear of trees because they've been cut for power lines. You go down that hill and about 100 yards after that is where the trail splits off. To the right is the newer section that follows a ski trail out and back and if you go left you just continue on the original trail route. That's about as well as I can describe it going from memory. It looks like an "optional" section of trail so it's not hard to bypass and there may even be a sign there.

This was the new section added for the TT last year which they are not including in the race this year (break my heart - there's enough climbing out there already).
Mike_D

Postby splangeland » May 2nd, 2015, 10:05 pm

Towards the end of the trail before you come up to the road there is a big tree down. You will come around a corner to a downhill and it will surprise you. I did a Sweet endo! When I grabbed a handful of brake XD
splangeland

Postby MFawley » May 3rd, 2015, 8:39 pm

Can confirm large tree! Probably close to the 11mi mark. Pretty large, about head height.
MFawley

Postby Jackle1886 » May 4th, 2015, 9:39 pm

The tree wasn't there Saturday afternoon. But I did hear trees falling. Trails we great!
Jackle1886

Postby thecman02 » May 13th, 2015, 1:19 pm

There's a big tree down half way up the two track climb. Otherwise the trails were primo!
thecman02

Postby deezler » June 12th, 2015, 1:20 pm

So, locals/frequenters,

How does this trail handle the rain? Going to be camping here this weekend and am looking to ride the trail on Saturday. I know it may have gotten up to an inch of rain last night / this morning, but I'm hoping it'll be ride-able. Thoughts?
deezler

Postby Mike_D » June 12th, 2015, 2:05 pm

deezler wrote:So, locals/frequenters,

How does this trail handle the rain? Going to be camping here this weekend and am looking to ride the trail on Saturday. I know it may have gotten up to an inch of rain last night / this morning, but I'm hoping it'll be ride-able. Thoughts?

Yankee handles rain very well! In fact, rain helps this trail ALOT so ride it and have fun!
Mike_D

Postby deezler » June 16th, 2015, 8:17 am

Mike_D wrote:Yankee handles rain very well! In fact, rain helps this trail ALOT so ride it and have fun!

Thanks for this inspiring and helpful reply! You are 100% correct, this trail is kind of a sand pit. After an inch of rain on Friday, there were zero puddles on the trail Saturday afternoon. The rocks and roots were still wet, but the trail was just damp, packed sand. perfect.

Great trail, very mellow considering the available terrain, but I was happy about that as it was my first time out this year and I was on a rigid bike.

Trail is real tight with brush and face-slappers in the less densely wooded parts. Thanks to whoever mowed big chunks of the 2nd half of the trail, though.
deezler

Postby kaysee » June 26th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Any rain today? Hoping to make the trip out there tomorrow
kaysee

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments