Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby dirtjunkie » June 21st, 2013, 8:44 pm

Rode a full loop tonight....served to fix a crappy work day.

Saw two separate groups of baby turkeys, along with a doe and newborn fawn.

Some overhanging foliage, but not bad. One tree down at around mile 6, between "guardrail hill" and "The S Curve" section. Large enough to require a chainsaw.

Rest of the trail was good. Sand was minimal until the last couple of miles.
dirtjunkie

Postby cramer » June 21st, 2013, 8:52 pm

c0nsumer wrote:I rode Yankee Springs for the first time yesterday. The trail seemed to be in good shape, but the warm-up loop (or whatever it's called -- the one which loops back to the parking area) could use a trim. It's got some serious face slappers. It was really fun, though. Once I got a feel for the trail I rather enjoyed it. I think it'd be fair to call it West Michigan's version of Pontiac Lake.

Is the Devil's Soup Bowl meant to be ridden? When I got to the intersection with the wooden post pointing right for it I saw "Devil's Soup Bowl" painted in black which matched the MTB Route decals, so I figured it was part of the trail. I went down the first descent, stopped at the plateau, didn't see any bike tracks, and figured it wasn't bike trail so I just pushed my bike back up the way I'd come and carried on the rest of the trail.

I believe it's just a geological feature they are calling attention to for people that are out exploring. It's for sure not part of the normal loop.
cramer

Postby largemelon » August 5th, 2013, 10:44 am

I made the trek from Novi for a first-time loop at Yankee Springs last Friday. As Jim Price says, "nice area." Nice park and trail as well. Red Bull addict cOnsumer is correct in that it is similar to Pontiac Lake but I might add that it is probably a little easier. The heart attack hills of Pontiac are not as severe here so this 45 year-old body was able to finish in one piece. Don't be too alarmed by the "caution" signs if you ride in the Detroit area as you've seen much worse at Highland, Pontiac, and Pinckney.
largemelon

Postby Mike_D » November 29th, 2013, 7:28 am

kevin g wrote:I am thinking of coming down for the Turkey Burner later this morning, but am wondering if the trail is passable with a normal mountain bike with normal tires (Racing Ralphs). I am a little embarrassed to say I have never tried mountain biking on snow.

You should be fine with the Ra-Ra's. I have 2.25" Ra-Ra's myself and I've been riding Luton and the ski area with a couple inches of snow and it's fine but obviously more work on climbs and you need to be more aware in the corners. Check out this link and it looks like there is only a couple of inches of snow down in that area:

http://www.weatherstreet.com/city_snow_depth/49058-Hastings-MI-snow-depth.htm
Mike_D

Postby kevin g » November 29th, 2013, 7:52 am

Thanks. Pretty sure I am going.
kevin g

Postby Bigtymer » December 9th, 2013, 7:44 am

c0nsumer wrote:One suggestion: When you see the sign that says Devil's Soup Bowl on a wooden post on your right, even though it is written in black like all of the mountain bike route markers, do not ride down in there. It is not MTB trail. Just keep going straight.

(This confused me my first time there.)

It use to be apart of the trail a long time ago.:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby RobM » December 11th, 2013, 9:20 am

Two of us rode about half of the trail yesterday (Tue 12/10) afternoon while snow was coming down. There was more snow than we expected and saw one set of bike tracks already there from when the snow was less deep and a couple of small sections with snowmobile tracks. As of 3PM, the trail had about 4" of dry powdery snow over it. It was a fun challenge with a 29er...but also a lot of work and slow. With more snow in the forecast, it should be great for fat bikes soon. The forest was beautiful with the snow. It's definitely winter in west Michigan...no snow yet in Brighton/Ann Arbor area. Always nice to get out to ride Yankee.
RobM

Postby dirtjunkie » December 29th, 2013, 9:38 am

Trail is clear and ready to ride.
dirtjunkie

Postby mcsmith24 » April 6th, 2014, 8:40 am

Anyone been by there? any hope of riding soon?
mcsmith24

Postby MFawley » April 19th, 2014, 7:06 am

Anyone going out today? Or been out recently? I was wondering if there were any updates on the condition of the trail.
MFawley

Postby conomac » May 11th, 2014, 7:37 am

Yeah, I rode yesterday...fire gone for the most part...lots of charred landscape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
conomac

Postby rcoe » February 20th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Quite a few riders out here today. Trail is in pretty good shape, being mostly sand very little mud. There are a few trees down from the wind Friday.
2015 Pivot 429sl
rcoe

Postby bbender785 » February 22nd, 2016, 12:30 pm

rcoe wrote:Quite a few riders out here today. Trail is in pretty good shape, being mostly sand very little mud. There are a few trees down from the wind Friday.

alot of previously-snowpack, now-ice sections still. only two very short spots i could tell were slimy, fortunately i was on 4.6" tires. without a saw we cleared the trees we could, and could tell someone else had been out there with a saw. a couple left that still need cleared.
VILLAGE RACING
bbender785

Postby Westhouse530 » July 24th, 2016, 11:02 am

Rode yesterday found they have the new start for the warm up loop done its a little soft but should be good after some riding starts right along the finish
Westhouse530

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions