Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby jake » April 2nd, 2013, 10:13 am

I think it's fairly easy to avoid goin through mud. If you're mountain biking then you can go around it. These bikes are for going anywhere.

And here lies the problem for several trails where unnecessary widening occurs.
Use this code for 15% off your first purchase of Hammer nutrition products.
http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/148136

Sponsored by: Wheels in Motion
http://prisoncityracing.blogspot.com/
jake

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 2nd, 2013, 10:15 am

jake wrote:
I think it's fairly easy to avoid goin through mud. If you're mountain biking then you can go around it. These bikes are for going anywhere.

OMG the trail is 1 foot wider where it frequently gathers mud, OMG.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby SAVO » April 2nd, 2013, 10:46 am

No disagreement toward respect of our trails. I share in respect to its treatment but also have my own sense of judgement to feasible use. If you know trails then you know when you shouldn't be on the trail. Hit Yank early enough in this thaw and you're good. Go around mud when necessary. Thanks for the back-up kyleRIG29er.
Peace
SAVO

Postby jonw9 » April 2nd, 2013, 11:09 am

kyleRIG29er wrote:
jake wrote:

OMG the trail is 1 foot wider where it frequently gathers mud, OMG.

Let me make sure I understand this.
Barry-Roubaix is a lame race because it occurs on wide dirt roads and not singletrack.
However, it is OK to widen out the singletrack if it makes it more convenient for your own selfish reasons.

So for future reference, what is the demarcation line so I can work towards becoming a real mountain biker?
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby SAVO » April 3rd, 2013, 4:06 pm

Anyone know about a trail day happening at Yank this Saturday? If so what time?
Thanks!
SAVO

Postby giantone » April 3rd, 2013, 6:53 pm

SAVO wrote:Anyone know about a trail day happening at Yank this Saturday? If so what time?
Thanks!

Grand Rapids Bicycle Co. on facebook wrote:Join us on Saturday at Yankee Springs Trail (WMMBA) with Jamis Bikes, Pedal Bicycles, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance (WMMBA), and Trailhead Cafe for a day of trail work and riding some sweet 650b!

giantone

Postby SAVO » April 4th, 2013, 8:26 am

giantone wrote:
SAVO wrote:Anyone know about a trail day happening at Yank this Saturday? If so what time?
Thanks!

Grand Rapids Bicycle Co. on facebook wrote:Join us on Saturday at Yankee Springs Trail (WMMBA) with Jamis Bikes, Pedal Bicycles, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance (WMMBA), and Trailhead Cafe for a day of trail work and riding some sweet 650b!

Nice! Thanks giantone. I presume the trail work is earlier in the day?
SAVO

Postby giantone » April 4th, 2013, 9:22 am

SAVO wrote:
giantone wrote:
Thanks!

Nice! Thanks giantone. I presume the trail work is earlier in the day?

I have no idea, I am thinking about showing up around 10 or so and if no one is working on the trail I'll just ride.
giantone

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 4th, 2013, 9:45 am

I guess Yankee is ride-able this weekend. I'll be there Saturday AM to get a pre-ride in!
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby choppe » April 4th, 2013, 10:33 am

from wmmba facebook, work starts around 9 am
choppe

Postby SAVO » April 4th, 2013, 10:35 am

Right on, thanks Choppe. I don't have facebook; you guys know if the trail is pretty much closed off whilst they work on it or can we go around..haha
SAVO

Postby dirtjunkie » April 4th, 2013, 2:26 pm

There will be a number of crews out working on the trail from 9-12 on Sat morning. Please be careful as you're approaching blind corners and such.

I got in about 1.5 hours yesterday...of clearing debri for the section between mile markers 5-8, and took care of some other face slappers. The trail will be sweet for the TT!
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
http://crosscountrycycle.com/
dirtjunkie

Postby SAVO » April 5th, 2013, 10:17 am

dirtjunkie wrote:There will be a number of crews out working on the trail from 9-12 on Sat morning. Please be careful as you're approaching blind corners and such.

I got in about 1.5 hours yesterday...of clearing debri for the section between mile markers 5-8, and took care of some other face slappers. The trail will be sweet for the TT!

Thank you brother.
SAVO

Postby Doug Kyle » April 5th, 2013, 3:32 pm

I posted to the Volunteers Thread, should have also posted here.

The trail day is tomorrow, April 6th, 9:00 - 12:30, please try to show up a little early to get signed in. We go rain or shine, bring hand saws, pruners, rakes, and shovels, we probably don't have enough in the tool trailer to cover everybody.

This year we have some demo bikes too!. Thanks to Grand Rapids Bicycle Company, Jamis will be there in the afternoon with a full line up of 650b bikes and some 29ers for you to ride. Also, our friends at Trailhead Cafe will grilling dogs and burgers for the trail work volunteers.

Trailhead Cafe is providing food only for trail workers, not those that are there only for the demo bikes, so I'll be giving out "meal tickets" to each when you sign forms in the morning.
Doug Kyle

Postby bil » April 7th, 2013, 6:11 pm

4/7 trail was perfect today!!!!! wish I could have rode it 3 more times
bil

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments