Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby Sortaslow » March 31st, 2013, 8:05 am

mntn-biker wrote:Did anybody see any worms while out on the trail yesterday? :wink:

I ran over a python!
User avatar
Sortaslow
 
Posts: 1974
Joined: April 22nd, 2009, 5:38 pm
Location: Clinton Township

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby SAVO » April 2nd, 2013, 7:34 am

I hit the trail - along with many others on Saturday morning - and it was stellar. There was a small section with mud (it was about 11am at this time) but avoidable. The trail is still in good condition to ride especially hitting it early AM. If you hit the trail at 8 am you'll have a great ride no doubt. There was a nice stretch of ice that swiped on...that felt great. I may be hitting it again this Saturday morning. I think it's fairly easy to avoid goin through mud. If you're mountain biking then you can go around it. These bikes are for going anywhere. Keep your eyes up ahead and plan your line. Ride.
SAVO
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 21st, 2013, 12:51 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby SteveF » April 2nd, 2013, 10:10 am

It's not really about can you ride, it's about should you. Riding during spring thaw conditions does excessive damage to the trail...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
User avatar
SteveF
 
Posts: 3500
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 9:56 am

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby jake » April 2nd, 2013, 10:13 am

I think it's fairly easy to avoid goin through mud. If you're mountain biking then you can go around it. These bikes are for going anywhere.


And here lies the problem for several trails where unnecessary widening occurs.
jake
 
Posts: 851
Joined: November 19th, 2002, 1:40 pm
Location: Adrian

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 2nd, 2013, 10:15 am

jake wrote:
I think it's fairly easy to avoid goin through mud. If you're mountain biking then you can go around it. These bikes are for going anywhere.


And here lies the problem for several trails where unnecessary widening occurs.


OMG the trail is 1 foot wider where it frequently gathers mud, OMG.
Image But I'm not a racer.
User avatar
CraveSingletrack
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: April 19th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby SAVO » April 2nd, 2013, 10:46 am

No disagreement toward respect of our trails. I share in respect to its treatment but also have my own sense of judgement to feasible use. If you know trails then you know when you shouldn't be on the trail. Hit Yank early enough in this thaw and you're good. Go around mud when necessary. Thanks for the back-up kyleRIG29er.
Peace
SAVO
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 21st, 2013, 12:51 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby jonw9 » April 2nd, 2013, 11:09 am

kyleRIG29er wrote:
jake wrote:
I think it's fairly easy to avoid goin through mud. If you're mountain biking then you can go around it. These bikes are for going anywhere.


And here lies the problem for several trails where unnecessary widening occurs.


OMG the trail is 1 foot wider where it frequently gathers mud, OMG.


Let me make sure I understand this.
Barry-Roubaix is a lame race because it occurs on wide dirt roads and not singletrack.
However, it is OK to widen out the singletrack if it makes it more convenient for your own selfish reasons.

So for future reference, what is the demarcation line so I can work towards becoming a real mountain biker?
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
User avatar
jonw9
 
Posts: 2774
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Location: Poto-ish

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby SAVO » April 3rd, 2013, 4:06 pm

Anyone know about a trail day happening at Yank this Saturday? If so what time?
Thanks!
SAVO
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 21st, 2013, 12:51 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby giantone » April 3rd, 2013, 6:53 pm

SAVO wrote:Anyone know about a trail day happening at Yank this Saturday? If so what time?
Thanks!


Grand Rapids Bicycle Co. on facebook wrote:Join us on Saturday at Yankee Springs Trail (WMMBA) with Jamis Bikes, Pedal Bicycles, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance (WMMBA), and Trailhead Cafe for a day of trail work and riding some sweet 650b!


Image
giantone
 
Posts: 229
Joined: September 10th, 2011, 9:34 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby SAVO » April 4th, 2013, 8:26 am

giantone wrote:
SAVO wrote:Anyone know about a trail day happening at Yank this Saturday? If so what time?
Thanks!


Grand Rapids Bicycle Co. on facebook wrote:Join us on Saturday at Yankee Springs Trail (WMMBA) with Jamis Bikes, Pedal Bicycles, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance (WMMBA), and Trailhead Cafe for a day of trail work and riding some sweet 650b!


Nice! Thanks giantone. I presume the trail work is earlier in the day?
SAVO
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 21st, 2013, 12:51 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby giantone » April 4th, 2013, 9:22 am

SAVO wrote:
giantone wrote:
SAVO wrote:Anyone know about a trail day happening at Yank this Saturday? If so what time?
Thanks!


Grand Rapids Bicycle Co. on facebook wrote:Join us on Saturday at Yankee Springs Trail (WMMBA) with Jamis Bikes, Pedal Bicycles, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance (WMMBA), and Trailhead Cafe for a day of trail work and riding some sweet 650b!


Nice! Thanks giantone. I presume the trail work is earlier in the day?



I have no idea, I am thinking about showing up around 10 or so and if no one is working on the trail I'll just ride.
giantone
 
Posts: 229
Joined: September 10th, 2011, 9:34 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 4th, 2013, 9:45 am

I guess Yankee is ride-able this weekend. I'll be there Saturday AM to get a pre-ride in!
Image But I'm not a racer.
User avatar
CraveSingletrack
 
Posts: 1741
Joined: April 19th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby choppe » April 4th, 2013, 10:33 am

from wmmba facebook, work starts around 9 am
choppe
 
Posts: 290
Joined: April 6th, 2007, 2:41 am
Location: West Mi

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby SAVO » April 4th, 2013, 10:35 am

Right on, thanks Choppe. I don't have facebook; you guys know if the trail is pretty much closed off whilst they work on it or can we go around..haha
SAVO
 
Posts: 9
Joined: March 21st, 2013, 12:51 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby dirtjunkie » April 4th, 2013, 2:26 pm

There will be a number of crews out working on the trail from 9-12 on Sat morning. Please be careful as you're approaching blind corners and such.

I got in about 1.5 hours yesterday...of clearing debri for the section between mile markers 5-8, and took care of some other face slappers. The trail will be sweet for the TT!
dirtjunkie
 
Posts: 777
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 9:43 am

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher and 2 guests