Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby monkeyevil » December 22nd, 2012, 2:20 pm

Ran the trail this morning and it was completely dry or frozen. Made me wish I had my bike instead of my running shoes, probably would have been my fastest lap ever.

My running partner cleared out most movable fallen trees while waiting for my slow *beep* to catch up, but there are a few larger ones down. Only a couple are un-ridable.
monkeyevil

Postby SteveF » December 30th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Thinking about taking my fat bike over to YS tomorrow/monday. How's the trail?
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby jlod » December 30th, 2012, 5:41 pm

I rode the trail today for the first time on my Beargrease build. Trail is in great shape! Just a couple small tress down that are easily rode over and one down that blocks the trail and has a small bypass by it.
jlod

Postby SteveF » December 31st, 2012, 3:13 pm

Fantastic ride conditions at YS right now! There isn't much snow--maybe a couple of inches, and the trail tread is packed down and frozen--crunchy, not icy. It was like my tires were velcro cornering on the fat bike--I was leaning it over so far I felt like I needed them knee pads motorcycle racers use, but it would be very doable (there were tracks to prove it) on a regular MTB with reasonably knobby tires on.

Ride it while you can!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby RickPlite » January 4th, 2013, 8:51 pm

from the runners club in town: Hello biking friends. I know fat bike season is in full swing and I am looking forward to racing next week at Cannonsburg Ski Area. Wanted to make you are aware of a trail run/race that will be happening this Saturday at Yankee Springs from 9am until the last 50k finishes(hopefully before dark). There will be approximately 250 runners on the course. We will be using a majority of the bike course and running in both directions at some points. Our staging area is not Deep Lake although there will be an aid station located there. Wanted to give you a heads up so we know to look out for each other. Please pass this message along to anyone you think should know. Thanks for your help!
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Eric C » February 19th, 2013, 9:54 pm

Has anyone ridden Yankee on a snow bike at all this winter? I know people have been out to Cannonsburg state game area. I'm thinking about trying just wondering what I was in for, and how much time to allow. Thanks!
Eric C

Postby Sortaslow » February 19th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Eric C wrote:Has anyone ridden Yankee on a snow bike at all this winter? I know people have been out to Cannonsburg state game area. I'm thinking about trying just wondering what I was in for, and how much time to allow. Thanks!

Apparently more than in summer.
http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=808430#p808430
Sortaslow

Postby dirtjunkie » February 20th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Eric C wrote:Has anyone ridden Yankee on a snow bike at all this winter? I know people have been out to Cannonsburg state game area. I'm thinking about trying just wondering what I was in for, and how much time to allow. Thanks!

For the most part, the trail has been great. I would expect conditions to get sloppy if the temps jack up into the high 30's or into the 40's....so your best bet is in the morning.

And yes....I have seen more vehicles in the parking lot on a recent ride than I do in July.

There are group rides out there frequently on Wed and Thur nights.....Sat and Sundays also.

As far as "how long" it will take you....I'd guess that you'd add about 20-30 minutes to what it "normally" would take you to get thru there. I'd allow for 1.5 hours or so.

Yankee Rules!
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
http://crosscountrycycle.com/
dirtjunkie

Postby Mike_D » February 20th, 2013, 1:51 pm

dirtjunkie wrote:

For the most part, the trail has been great. I would expect conditions to get sloppy if the temps jack up into the high 30's or into the 40's....so your best bet is in the morning.

And yes....I have seen more vehicles in the parking lot on a recent ride than I do in July.

There are group rides out there frequently on Wed and Thur nights.....Sat and Sundays also.

As far as "how long" it will take you....I'd guess that you'd add about 20-30 minutes to what it "normally" would take you to get thru there. I'd allow for 1.5 hours or so.

Yankee Rules!

Is it good to go with a skinny tire bike or are the conditions better suited for a fat bike/snow bike? Is the trail snow packed or is it packed ice?
Mike_D

Postby dirtjunkie » February 20th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Unfortunately ....the most accurate answer to each of those questions is "yes". Not much in the way of ice tho. There will be a group there this Saturday at 9:00...mostly fatbikes...but some skinnies too.
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
dirtjunkie

Postby gtrowbridge » February 20th, 2013, 3:41 pm

The nice thing is that the more fat bikes that ride the trail (any trail) the easier it is for the skinny bikes. At least in my experience with my 2.30 width tires. Have had little problem on any trail that gets reasonable amount of use. No studs either. That being said, I am investing in a fat bike just so I don't have to wait for them to beat down the trail and I can go when I want where I want. :-)
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby Mike_D » February 20th, 2013, 3:46 pm

So it sounds like if I ride after 9am on Saturday, the trail should be in great shape for my 2.35 Ra-Ra's...
Mike_D

Postby Eric C » February 20th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Thanks for the info! I'll get out soon!
Eric C

Postby SAVO » March 21st, 2013, 12:57 pm

I'm looking to hit Yank on Saturday and am looking for some input on trail-conditions w this recent snowfall and the slightly warmer temperature slated for this weekend; will they be conducive for riding and not making ruts out there? I know Yankee is good for absorbing water being there is much sand in the area but I'd like to get some thoughts in case it's a wasted trip. I ride 26 inch mountainkings if that's of any help.

Any input is appreciated. Peace::
SAVO

Postby dirtjunkie » March 22nd, 2013, 8:18 am

SAVO wrote:I'm looking to hit Yank on Saturday and am looking for some input on trail-conditions w this recent snowfall and the slightly warmer temperature slated for this weekend; will they be conducive for riding and not making ruts out there? I know Yankee is good for absorbing water being there is much sand in the area but I'd like to get some thoughts in case it's a wasted trip. I ride 26 inch mountainkings if that's of any help.

Any input is appreciated. Peace::

I live 2 miles away....

We got hit with some snow for the last 3 days. The wind has helped "burn" quite a bit of it off...but safe to say that due to the canopy that hangs over Yankee, it's very much snow covered, although it isn't crazy deep.

There have been a number of Fatty's packin' down the trail....so if you hit it early, like before 10 a.m., you'll have the best possible conditions for your 26'r.
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
dirtjunkie

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments