Western: Yankee Springs

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Yankee Springs

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 3rd, 2012, 8:02 am

mntn-biker wrote:
kyleRIG29er wrote:I rode yesterday, the trail was awesome, never been before. What do SS guys usually run on this? (I'm a 29er too) I am running 2 to 1, and it was a bit tall for some of those longer climbs, but I liked it for the faster sections, I'm confused what gears to run for the time trial.

My 29'er is new to me this spring and I rode out there this year a couple of times and I run 33x18 (1.83:1) and it is great for the climbs (almost too easy) but I long for a higher gear on the flatter sections on this trail and most other trails I have ridden so far this year.... I'm thinking a 2:1 might be better gearing (for me anyway).

You're right, I think I'd miss the taller gearing on the flatter sections. I also didn't realize until last night, that I hadn't given myself a rest day in 6 days, my legs were probably a bit worn out too.
Image But I'm not a racer.
CraveSingletrack

Postby Bigtymer » April 3rd, 2012, 8:18 am

kyleRIG29er wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:
kyleRIG29er wrote:I rode yesterday, the trail was awesome, never been before. What do SS guys usually run on this? (I'm a 29er too) I am running 2 to 1, and it was a bit tall for some of those longer climbs, but I liked it for the faster sections, I'm confused what gears to run for the time trial.

My 29'er is new to me this spring and I rode out there this year a couple of times and I run 33x18 (1.83:1) and it is great for the climbs (almost too easy) but I long for a higher gear on the flatter sections on this trail and most other trails I have ridden so far this year.... I'm thinking a 2:1 might be better gearing (for me anyway).

You're right, I think I'd miss the taller gearing on the flatter sections. I also didn't realize until last night, that I hadn't given myself a rest day in 6 days, my legs were probably a bit worn out too.

You really only need a 1x9 or a 1x10 in Michigan for a geared bike. The only place I have ever needed granny gear in Michigan is on the Redbridge section of the NCT trail. If you have more than one bike, I would make one into a 1x9 or 10.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 3rd, 2012, 8:40 am

Bigtymer wrote:

You really only need a 1x9 or a 1x10 in Michigan for a geared bike. The only place I have ever needed granny gear in Michigan is on the Redbridge section of the NCT trail. If you have more than one bike, I would make one into a 1x9 or 10.

Never!
Image But I'm not a racer.
CraveSingletrack

Postby werne1nm » April 3rd, 2012, 10:49 am

looking at yankee springs for saturday morning, trail good?
werne1nm

Postby cramer » April 3rd, 2012, 12:13 pm

Bigtymer wrote:You really only need a 1x9 or a 1x10 in Michigan for a geared bike. The only place I have ever needed granny gear in Michigan is on the Redbridge section of the NCT trail. If you have more than one bike, I would make one into a 1x9 or 10.

I ride that section of NCT all the time with my single speed, no need for ANY gears in MI.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » April 3rd, 2012, 12:14 pm

werne1nm wrote:looking at yankee springs for saturday morning, trail good?

Most likely. Yankee is 1 of the few trails in the W. Mi. area that you can ride most anytime. Even almost right after a heavy rain like we had today.
Mike_D

Postby Mike_D » April 3rd, 2012, 12:27 pm

cramer wrote:
Bigtymer wrote:You really only need a 1x9 or a 1x10 in Michigan for a geared bike. The only place I have ever needed granny gear in Michigan is on the Redbridge section of the NCT trail. If you have more than one bike, I would make one into a 1x9 or 10.

I ride that section of NCT all the time with my single speed, no need for ANY gears in MI.

Ah-hem...... Only 1 gear needed :lol:
Mike_D

Postby Bigtymer » April 3rd, 2012, 3:09 pm

Yeah you're probably right, I only need a one by 9 0r 10. I haven't ridden in Michigan in two years, so I'm guessing from riding the Rockies out here in Colorado, I probably wont' need a granny in Michigan anymore.
Last edited by Bigtymer on April 3rd, 2012, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Bigtymer » April 3rd, 2012, 3:13 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
cramer wrote:

Ah-hem...... Only 1 gear needed :lol:

yeah singlespeeds don't work for me, especially when my climbs out west here go anywhere from 2.5 miles to 12 miles. Although, I haven't ridden the NCT in two years, so maybe when I go home this summer I will try one out. A SS on the Redbridge to Mesick section:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby dirtjunkie » April 5th, 2012, 5:54 pm

There was a decent sized tree down about 2/3 up "Who's your daddy Hill", which is roughly 5 miles in, just after The Pines. This was late Wed (4/4/12) evening.

Otherwise the trail is great.
dirtjunkie

Postby McGurk » April 11th, 2012, 4:15 pm

I do not think the trail is great. Sure, there are sections that are fast and flow really well. But to me, other sections, deeper in the woods, are showing signs of significant abuse. Many sections display serious erosion and should have been re-routed years ago. These areas have deeply exposed roots and are increasingly dangerous. Some of the drops, while fun, have also become badly bowled out. I ride and race aggressively and have the scars and ER bills to prove it. Challenging trails are great, but land abuse is a different matter. Somebody needs to step in here and take better care of the trail system. :(
McGurk

Postby Mike_D » April 11th, 2012, 4:18 pm

McGurk wrote:I do not think the trail is great. Sure, there are sections that are fast and flow really well. But to me, other sections, deeper in the woods, are showing signs of significant abuse. Many sections display serious erosion and should have been re-routed years ago. These areas have deeply exposed roots and are increasingly dangerous. Some of the drops, while fun, have also become badly bowled out. I ride and race aggressively and have the scars and ER bills to prove it. Challenging trails are great, but land abuse is a different matter. Somebody needs to step in here and take better care of the trail system. :(

Certainly one of the last local trails here on this side of the state that are not "dumbed down" :D
Mike_D

Postby McGurk » April 11th, 2012, 6:30 pm

I'm not talking about dumbing anything down. Frankly that phrase gets tossed around pretty carelessly as if the issue was black and white. My hope is that people realize you can have challenging terrain without ripping the land in two. Yankee has been flat out abused for a long time and it is a poor reflection on the mountain bike community and plays to the stereotype that our activity is harmful to the environment.
McGurk

Postby cramer » April 11th, 2012, 6:43 pm

McGurk wrote:I'm not talking about dumbing anything down. Frankly that phrase gets tossed around pretty carelessly as if the issue was black and white. My hope is that people realize you can have challenging terrain without ripping the land in two. Yankee has been flat out abused for a long time and it is a poor reflection on the mountain bike community and plays to the stereotype that our activity is harmful to the environment.

+1

There are better ways to make a trail challenging than letting it wash away.

Edit: For the record, I'm not bashing the TC. He's in a tough position because a bunch of people freak out any time a re-route is done to fix the wash outs. It's always somebody's favorite section.
cramer

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » April 11th, 2012, 7:48 pm

cramer wrote:
McGurk wrote:I'm not talking about dumbing anything down. Frankly that phrase gets tossed around pretty carelessly as if the issue was black and white. My hope is that people realize you can have challenging terrain without ripping the land in two. Yankee has been flat out abused for a long time and it is a poor reflection on the mountain bike community and plays to the stereotype that our activity is harmful to the environment.

+1

There are better ways to make a trail challenging than letting it wash away.

Edit: For the record, I'm not bashing the TC. He's in a tough position because a bunch of people freak out any time a re-route is done to fix the wash outs. It's always somebody's favorite section.

True, but unless u replace an eroded, challenging, or technical section or whatever u wanna call it with something equally challenging it should not be done, or it is dumbing down the trail. But as soon as u make a new obstacle or technical reroute all the masses start crying its to difficult so bypasses need to be added in for them.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions