Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby c0nsumer » July 6th, 2014, 11:45 pm

AJG wrote:cOnsumer, the Green is a lot more fun if you're familiar with it. It does have it's share of washed out, loose gravel sections but it's still a very fun loop. I would guess that the last two stone climbs in Grannies got you.

Yeah -- I should have given it a second go... I was getting a bit tired and wanting to drive home by the time I got done with the third-ish red, otherwise I would have. Another day, for sure. And it was the first and third stone climbs, I think. There was one that I made on my second attempt, but it wasn't the one after the log pile...

AJG wrote:There is a signage replacement process that's taking place at the moment. That may explain you losing the Yellow. Hopefully that will be completed in the near future.

The signage along red was great. I think green's was just as good, but I'm not really remembering it... If yellow and blue get the same it'll be perfect. I had no problems following what was along red, although I do think a couple of witness markers (marker signs that just confirm you are on the right path) would be nice.

AJG wrote:PM me if you come into town again, I'll get a few people from the chapter together and we can give you a guided tour if you like. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Definitely. :) I don't think we've seen each other since that time at Big M... oh... 2011? It's been a while...
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Pooley » July 14th, 2014, 9:42 am

There are 2 big trees that are down on the Red Loop as of Saturday 7/12/14. Both trees require you to get off the bike and carry over. I suppose better riders than myself may be able to use the chainring as a 3rd wheel on both, but I prefer not to beat up my bike that much. I forget the mileage, probably miles 3 and 5?? but you can't miss them.
I may grow old, but I will never grow up.

1984 Vitus Carbone 9
1992 Stumpjumper rigid
2013 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29er
2013 Roubaix Elite Apex Compact
Pooley

Postby kaysee » July 28th, 2014, 9:22 am

Does anyone have a report on how bad it rained over there last night? If you have a trail report this afternoon that would be even better!

I want to make a trip out there tomorrow while I have the day off, but I want to make sure that the 2.5 hour drive would be worth it.

Thanks!
kaysee

Postby brokenbones » July 28th, 2014, 10:47 am

They got 1/8" yesterday afternoon. Go back one page and follow my link and directions for local weather info. Barring anything further, Custer will be great tomorrow. Have fun (jealous).
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby thud » July 28th, 2014, 9:23 pm

kaysee wrote:Does anyone have a report on how bad it rained over there last night? If you have a trail report this afternoon that would be even better!

I want to make a trip out there tomorrow while I have the day off, but I want to make sure that the 2.5 hour drive would be worth it.

Thanks!

A few trees down following Sunday's storm, but definitely can still ride as I was out with a couple of runts today and had no problems getting around things.
thud

Postby AJG » August 1st, 2014, 7:04 pm

Most of the trees that were down are now removed. A couple remain but will be removed in the next couple of days. Trails are dry and dusty. Some rain would be nice but the trail system is still in great shape. Enjoy.
AJG

Postby wizarddaw » August 2nd, 2014, 10:18 am

Rode some blue, yellow and mostly red today, and the trails were awesome at 0700 this morning. Thanks to everyone involved in maintaining them and the riders that help take care of stuff as you are motoring around.

Dave
Battle Creek, Michigan
Step up, or step aside!
Humpty Dumpty was Pushed !!
wizarddaw

Postby risnewski » August 15th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Only had time for a short distance on red tonight but reports from other riders are the trails are in very good shape.
risnewski

Postby deathby2 » August 16th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Tree down on Green at about here (3.4 mi)
42.333693, -85.313406
2010 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
2011 Secteur Sport Compact
deathby2

Postby AJG » August 16th, 2014, 4:30 pm

That should be removed Sunday (tomorrow) morning. Trails were in good shape today. Did a Red and a Green. Typical August conditions, some loose corners but other wise in decent shape.
AJG

Postby kzoo » August 18th, 2014, 9:15 pm

RED....wonderful, some spots a little sandy.
kzoo

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments