Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby wizarddaw » December 25th, 2014, 10:04 pm

There are people meeting at 0830 to do a slow ride and these are people that ride it a lot, so you guys should be ok. I am going to give it a go on my FatBoy tomorrow also.
Good luck and have fun.

Dave
Step up, or step aside!
Humpty Dumpty was Pushed !!
wizarddaw

Postby aarontriton » December 26th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Trail was excellent today only a few soft spots. Did red and green on the fat bikes.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
14 Devinci Carbon Troy
15 Mongoose Vinson fat bike
aarontriton

Postby wizarddaw » January 2nd, 2015, 8:58 pm

Trails were great today. A fair amount of users including mountain bikes, mostly fatbikes, hikers, dog walkers and mushers, and runners.
Thanks again to the SWMMBA and all who use these trails for keeping them in such great shape so all of the above can enjoy them.

Dave
Step up, or step aside!
Humpty Dumpty was Pushed !!
wizarddaw

Postby Biggredd911 » January 11th, 2015, 7:10 pm

Not sure if we are ONLY supposed to ride the groomed trail but I did ride RED and it was great! Something special about breaking through virgin snow. The groomed trails seemed very 29er friendly, but RED trail would be fat bike only; I admit, I had to push the bike up a couple of hills because I would lose momentum.
All in all the trails are great. It was really cool to see the 3 or 4 dog sled teams out there too. Those little guys are flying and having fun.
To whom ever snowshoed parts of red: THANK YOU! It was a little bumpy, but it kept my speed going!
DIRT- S-WORKS Camber
SNOW- Surly Pugsley... thee fat bike. There are no others!
ROAD- Mustang GT- SELLING IN SPRING only 45K miles
Biggredd911

Postby Static_Crash » January 12th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Here is the GPS track of the groomed section of the Green trail. It's just a start for now as we will look to add more groomed surface as conditions allow, but it should be ready to ride first thing tomorrow after tonight's big temperature drop. Get out and ride it before the warm up this weekend and report back on the conditions.

A friendly PSA - Occasionally the snow surface can sustain non-fatbike or skinny tire use (not very often--requires a groomed surface and sustained extremely cold temps to firm up the surface). There can be a lot of time and money put into grooming a surface for fatbike use and those that put in the volunteer hours for grooming and the costs for fuel/ oil/ wear and tear on equipment/ costs to fabricate grooming apparatus would appreciate all users being respectful of their impact on trails that are being groomed.

There are a lot of users potentially. We (at Fort Custer) deal with walkers/ hikers, skiers, dog-sledders altogether. It is difficult enough to "keep the peace" with all of the users...let alone to try to govern our bicycling community with this whole winter/ fat-biking/ grooming thing. It can be a sensitive subject...but common sense should prevail--if you are leaving indentations/ruts more than 1-2" in depth you should not be using the trail. Check your PSI before you ride and make sure it's been lowered to an adequate pressure for riding groomed trail.

Static_Crash

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments