Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby kyle_vk » September 7th, 2014, 12:40 pm

Road it this morning and they did a great job of getting it cleaned up already....only had to hike a tree once....over all in very good shape all things considering.
On One 456 - steel is real
kyle_vk

Postby AJG » September 7th, 2014, 6:39 pm

There's been a group effort this weekend to get as much cleared as possible. I think that the plan was to have the Red completely finished by this evening (Sunday) and try to finish the Green tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.

It's the worst damage I've seen in five years of riding there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJG

Postby grinder » September 8th, 2014, 7:38 am

I second the opinion about the worst damage in many years (trees down). Just rode it late last night and there are some sections that now have a full view of the sky--looks very different in some spots.

Gordie & Mike were out there making some serious progress (A BIG THANKS TO THEM AND THEIR EFFORT). Just about the entire red loop is clear (there will be a couple of more trees in the Amusement park section that need work and there will probably be a new small re-route or two that will be required to bypass some of the damage).

Not sure about the Green loop...I can just imagine that it is bad though.

be safe out there for a short while until everything is cleared up and back to normal...
grinder

Postby Green Giant » September 8th, 2014, 6:45 pm

Red loop was rideable tonight without any dismounts (but watch your head a few times as you will need to duck under a few things) a few ride arounds.

Green loop the switchback is clear, but it gets nasty after that. I didn't get much further before turning back.

Thanks for all for the cleaning up efforts out there. This is the worst I can remember the green in 15+ years, about 10 years ago there was a real nasty storm, but this is similar if not worse.
Green Giant

Postby ReidRules18 » September 8th, 2014, 7:51 pm

Given all the damage, was there any issues at the campsite that anyone knows of? Seems like a dangerous place to be.
"Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money"-Cree Indian
ReidRules18

Postby AJG » September 11th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Reid, I don't know of any.

Red loop has been 95% cleared and the Green is almost there. It's been a lot of work and Gordie and Mike have been logging (pun intended) some serious hours.

The Amusement Park is going to look a little different from now on. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AJG

Postby reidabel » September 24th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Static_Crash wrote:by Static_Crash » Sat 10.11.2012, 04:11 pm

We've added a little more fun to Ft. Custer at the end of the Red Loop. Hope you enjoy it!

The original post is too old to reply to (and see the pictures of), but I haven't ridden Ft. Custer in a long time and when I came upon this log ride today I thought "Hey, I saw this on the forum!". Rode it back and forth several times, and enjoyed it a lot! I kept failing a few feet in, going in the forward direction, it has a twist or off-camber or something that kept dumping me off to the right. Backwards, though, I made it every time.

Thanks for the work!
reidabel

Postby grinder » September 24th, 2014, 8:36 pm

It is a funny thing...make it easy so many or all can ride it...or make it more challenging to get your concentration maxed out and give you a sense of accomplishment. A buddy and I made that feature...and I wouldnt say we had a whole lot of intention to make it one way or the other. I honestly only hit it about 1/5 rides...but it does make you have to "step up" to the challenge--and commit to the feature. And yes, there is some goofy camber and direction to the beginning of it! Ride on!
grinder

Postby reidabel » September 25th, 2014, 3:51 pm

Glad you made it, and of course, you work with what you've got to work with - in this case, the height and path were already defined for you by the tree itself. That said, I suppose there were ways to make it more difficult. It would be great to see a wide selection of stunts at ALL trails, but of course it takes a lot of work. People could ride whatever they feel comfortable with, and ride more things the better they get. I'm surprised you don't hit it on every single ride ... having put in the work to make it! I almost feel obligated to ride the stuff I build, just to make sure it is still in good shape.

Anyway, cool, glad it's there, and I'm definitely voting for more if you get the opportunity. Come up to Burchfield Park in Mason/Holt sometime and ride the stunts myself and others have built there - there's a fair amount of them, like over 20 lines, including several quite challenging ones.

And, oh yeah, the trail conditions were great.
reidabel

Postby SteveF » September 28th, 2014, 5:52 am

Great conditions there yesterday-took a buddy there for his first time and we did two reds and two greens. He did well, but had a nasty crash on the mesh creek crossing on green. Fell on the mesh and just raked his shin. Said it felt like falling on a cheese grater. Another group we ran into out there said they walked it, which was tricky because the bank's so steep. I've never had trouble with it, but maybe it's time to think about a bridge there? Even if you left the mesh and had the bridge as an alternative it would offer a good option for folks. This occurred to me also because they're eliminating the mesh climb at Yankee Springs. The days of geoweb may be over...

...could see all the effort involved in clearing the recent storm damage-nice job, folks! Looks like a lumberjack party out there.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments