Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby kms662 » April 29th, 2012, 8:33 pm

Did three loops this afternoon on the course for the upcoming race. Trail was in great shape and there were several volunteers out there working on many different parts of the course. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK!!
kms662

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » April 29th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Rode the trail today for the first time in a few years. Holy crap has it changed! The 2 most dreadful climbs are no longer a part of the trail (CPR and Cardiac Climb) and the new portion flows so well. You guys have been putting in a lot of work and it really shows. Granny's garden looks great with the new fill dirt, it definitely makes it more ride-able. Now more people just need to get out there and ride the new portions to smooth them out cause they are still BUMPY!

Great work fort custer trail team.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby MLKuhl » April 30th, 2012, 9:19 am

Made the trip over yesterday afternoon and rode green & red, first time since the trail seperation....AWESOME. Huge thankyou to all of you who build/maintain this trail!
MLKuhl

Postby rwright » April 30th, 2012, 10:54 am

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:Rode the trail today for the first time in a few years. Holy crap has it changed! The 2 most dreadful climbs are no longer a part of the trail (CPR and Cardiac Climb) and the new portion flows so well. You guys have been putting in a lot of work and it really shows. Granny's garden looks great with the new fill dirt, it definitely makes it more ride-able. Now more people just need to get out there and ride the new portions to smooth them out cause they are still BUMPY!

Great work fort custer trail team.

Both are gone??? Does that leave any climbs of note? I am hoping to get a chance to preride on Saturday.

Thanks,

Bob
rwright

Postby kuhljord » May 1st, 2012, 8:10 pm

Whoever did the work out in Grannies did a great job! The improvements really make it flow much better.
kuhljord

Postby TenSpeed » May 11th, 2012, 7:08 pm

Awesome. Today the trail was awesome. A bit sandy, but other than that, perfect. Thanks to the two gentlemen in the parking lot that helped me get onto the blue trail. MMBA sticker on his truck, but I didn't want to be that gushing guy saying oooooh, are you on the forum???? What's your username?
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby grinder » May 15th, 2012, 9:53 am

TenSpeed wrote:Awesome. Today the trail was awesome. A bit sandy, but other than that, perfect. Thanks to the two gentlemen in the parking lot that helped me get onto the blue trail. MMBA sticker on his truck, but I didn't want to be that gushing guy saying oooooh, are you on the forum???? What's your username?

Hey, I think that was me...I am only on this forum once in a while. But just read this and thought I would say "hey". There is a lot of new stuff about the Ft Custer trails of very recent...some signage will be happening soon and it will make navigating the trails quite a bit easier. I have been on these trails since the mid 90's so I kind of know most of the sections- but I still get a little disoriented when trying to rush back to the trailhead when a storm is conming in or I have a mechanical that causes a walk back.

Ride on!!!
grinder

Postby reidabel » May 18th, 2012, 9:27 am

TenSpeed wrote:I didn't want to be that gushing guy saying oooooh, are you on the forum???? What's your username?

Hey, I do that all the time ... Hmm ... :lol:

grinder wrote:There is a lot of new stuff about the Ft Custer trails of very recent...some signage will be happening soon and it will make navigating the trails quite a bit easier.

Oh-oh ... I've never been to Ft Custer before, and am considering going there tomorrow to try it out. I'm looking to try the most advanced trail(s) - can anybody give me any pointers regarding what freeway exit to take, what roads to follow, what parking lot to use, and how to get to the fun stuff? Thanks ...
reidabel

Postby MtBikeTom » May 18th, 2012, 10:27 am

What direction are you coming from on I-94? Coming in from the East or West? The trails you will likely want to run are either the red and/or green trails. They are the two technical trails.
Link to trail map:

http://mmba.org/library/maps/fortcuster ... terMap.pdf
MtBikeTom

Postby xcrdr » May 18th, 2012, 10:49 am

reidabel wrote:
TenSpeed wrote:I didn't want to be that gushing guy saying oooooh, are you on the forum???? What's your username?

Hey, I do that all the time ... Hmm ... :lol:

grinder wrote:There is a lot of new stuff about the Ft Custer trails of very recent...some signage will be happening soon and it will make navigating the trails quite a bit easier.

Oh-oh ... I've never been to Ft Custer before, and am considering going there tomorrow to try it out. I'm looking to try the most advanced trail(s) - can anybody give me any pointers regarding what freeway exit to take, what roads to follow, what parking lot to use, and how to get to the fun stuff? Thanks ...

I'm going sunday morning. leaving lansing area around 10:15. If you wanna go around that time I can show you where to go.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby vintagefisher » May 18th, 2012, 10:59 am

i think there is a trail day scheduled for saturday morning so you may be weaving in and out of people with shovels and chainsaws if you go then...
'09 Bianchi Sok 29 SS Niner carbon and blunts
vintagefisher

Postby reidabel » May 18th, 2012, 11:04 am

vintagefisher wrote:i think there is a trail day scheduled for saturday morning so you may be weaving in and out of people with shovels and chainsaws if you go then...

Thanks for the warning!

xcrdr wrote:I'm going sunday morning. leaving lansing area around 10:15. If you wanna go around that time I can show you where to go.

That sounds good, thanks for the offer. I will check with the wife to see if I can do that, but I think it will be a yes. Interested in carpooling? I'm in Holt ... so we'll be coming from the East (and thanks for the map link MtBikeTom).
reidabel

Postby xcrdr » May 18th, 2012, 11:12 am

reidabel wrote:
vintagefisher wrote:i think there is a trail day scheduled for saturday morning so you may be weaving in and out of people with shovels and chainsaws if you go then...

Thanks for the warning!

xcrdr wrote:I'm going sunday morning. leaving lansing area around 10:15. If you wanna go around that time I can show you where to go.

That sounds good, thanks for the offer. I will check with the wife to see if I can do that, but I think it will be a yes. Interested in carpooling? I'm in Holt ... so we'll be coming from the East (and thanks for the map link MtBikeTom).

Possibly. I'm riding with someone else and not sure who else is going. If driving myself I would have already put it out there. :)
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X10
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 6Fattie Carbon

2015 Goal: Ride some
2016 Goal: Ride more
xcrdr

Postby MtBikeTom » May 18th, 2012, 11:42 am

Well, if you do end up driving over by yourself, take exit 92 (Columbia Ave) exit, turn right (North) and then where it splits, follow the business loop to the left (Skyline Dr) until you hit Hwy 96 (*beep* Rd). Turn left (west) on *beep* and stay on it for like a couple miles (give or take) until you see the Ft. Custer Park Entrance on your left hand side. Follow the park road past the entry booth (no longer manned) and the road will veer to the left. Keep on it until the see the sign for the Bike Trailhead entrance which will be on your right. Hit the parking lot. There is now a new changing booth onsite so you can change at the park which is nice for those that travel over. The trails are straight off the parking lot and as you enter it, turn immediately to your right. The red trail immediately enters to your right. The green you will follow a little longer on the double track and there is a new entrance for the green trail on your left. Watch carefully for it.

Have fun, and hope the directions help
MtBikeTom

Postby MtBikeTom » May 18th, 2012, 11:44 am

Wow, those censor stuff is pretty touchy.....let's see if this works.......*D*i*c*kman Rd
MtBikeTom

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions