Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby vintagefisher » April 5th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Am I missing something or is cardiac climb no longer a part of the red loop? I went out yesterday and followed the re-routes from the trail seperation. Not sure how much i like it but i guess i will get used to it. At least crazy beaver wasnt re-routed.
'09 Bianchi Sok 29 SS Niner carbon and blunts
vintagefisher

Postby Static_Crash » April 5th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Unfortunately that was one of several sections we had to sacrifice to get the desired trail separation.
Static_Crash

Postby parttime » April 21st, 2012, 11:14 am

How is the fort looking after the rain? I may stop by here after Yankee tomorrow.
parttime

Postby Static_Crash » April 21st, 2012, 9:22 pm

Some puddles here and there, but that's about it. Should be fine for a ride tomorrow.
Static_Crash

Postby whitekir » April 22nd, 2012, 12:55 pm

Had a great time out here yesterday!! Conditions are great, and the nice cool temps make for refreshing bug-free riding. We got a little turned around from the re-routing but overall it was loads of fun. Thanks to all of you who maintain this great trail system! We have been doing campy little summaries of our rides lately; here is a link if you are interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfphkvRE ... ploademail
whitekir

Postby TenSpeed » April 22nd, 2012, 6:18 pm

Huge thank you to every single minute put into this trail. It is awesome. I love the re-routes, and what seem to be newer log piles scattered across the place. Last time I was there was last year, so my memory may be a little foggy. Trail is in awesome shape. If you didn't ride this weekend, you missed out. Parking lot was jammed pack, and came across some very nice and helpful people on my ride today.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

Postby risnewski » April 22nd, 2012, 8:07 pm

Did the red loop today after the Yankee TT and was most impressed with the hard work. The re-route before Granny's flows nicely. Kudos to the Fort Custer folks and their response to the equestrian mess.

I noticed changes from last fall on Red. Any changes on Green?
risnewski

Postby Static_Crash » April 22nd, 2012, 9:29 pm

The only major change to Green (besides no horses) was the addition of a connecter from just beyond the trailhead (3) to Reese Rd. down to the original entry to the Green trail.

You can see it here.
Static_Crash

Postby davedejonge » April 23rd, 2012, 11:12 am

I'm hoping to get in a red/green loop combo this week on my way west for work. I noticed though that the description of the trail in the trail directory

http://mmba.org/index.php?option=com_tr ... =trail&cid[]=11

is outdated and still refs a yellow loop. Anyone able to tackle a re write? I could try after my first time thru this week, but perhaps a more seasoned rider of FC might have a better take.
davedejonge

Postby Static_Crash » April 23rd, 2012, 11:24 am

That is being worked on already, but we are still working on the final details of the trail separation, signage, etc. For now riders will have just have to bear with us while we work these things out. The map I linked to above will give you the most current routes.
Static_Crash

Postby risnewski » April 25th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Static_Crash wrote:The only major change to Green (besides no horses) was the addition of a connecter from just beyond the trailhead (3) to Reese Rd. down to the original entry to the Green trail.

You can see it here.

There's a section just before Crazy Beaver marked "Obliterated" on the map. What does this mean? If it's the section I think it is, I rode it over the weekend and didn't notice any closed signs. Kinda of a wide open fast section of trail with a hard left at the end to the star of Crazy Beaver, right?
risnewski

Postby brokenbones » April 25th, 2012, 8:16 pm

There's a section just before Crazy Beaver marked "Obliterated" on the map. What does this mean?
That was the section known as the Peninsula. As I recall, that section was given up as part of the negotiation during the trail split. I think there is nesting in that area for a rare woodpecker or something that the Park Authorities wanted to protect anyways, so when the issue came up they seized the opportunity to close that section to bikes and horses. I imagine it will still be open to hikers, and maybe is just awaiting new signage restricting the other trail users. The local guys could chime in on that and clarify. I rode the trail several times last fall after Red was rerouted, and was surprised that the Peninsula was still open. That may only be a matter of time...
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby Static_Crash » April 25th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Ooooooo, you rode the old "Peninsula" section, and boy are you in trouble! :wink: That section is still being ridden, but that was yet another trail separation sacrifice we made. Once signage goes up we will stay to the left at (15) and connect with Crazy Beaver at (16).

Oops, bones was too quick for me. He is correct regarding the reasons why.
Last edited by Static_Crash on April 26th, 2012, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Static_Crash

Postby davedejonge » April 26th, 2012, 10:27 am

I loved the Red and Green loops, Great time out there, thanks for the awesome trails. And man was that parking lot packed!
davedejonge

Postby wizarddaw » April 27th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Rode the Fort this afternoon and I thought the trails were great. Even did a couple of laps on the Blue-multi-use trail as I wanted to see what kind of shape it was in. It was great! Thanks to everyone keeping these trails maintained and the users for keeping them clean. What an afternoon.

Dave
Battle Creek, Michigan
Step up, or step aside!
Humpty Dumpty was Pushed !!
wizarddaw

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions