Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby dirtjunkie » February 12th, 2014, 8:18 am

Thanks! If I make it out there, I'll be sure to let you know. All the effort is much appreciated.
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
http://crosscountrycycle.com/
dirtjunkie

Postby dirtjunkie » February 12th, 2014, 7:25 pm

Static_Crash wrote:With the slight warm up Thursday we are going to try and get out and make a couple of more passes with the sleds and groomers with hopes that it will firm up real good overnight. If you do go out and ride it, please let us know your thoughts as we are seeking any input to help us along with the process.

Made it out......THANKS FOR ALL THE WORK! The snow is definitely packed. There are some rough sections...I'm assuming from the mushers....but overall a hoot to ride!

Look for a P.M.

Thanks!

~ Mark
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
dirtjunkie

Postby Static_Crash » February 14th, 2014, 10:20 pm

FYI - Sled dog races this Saturday and Sunday from 9a-3p at the Fort.
Static_Crash

Postby Green Giant » February 15th, 2014, 8:11 pm

Trails are GREAT for fat bikes right now.
Green Giant

Postby grinder » February 18th, 2014, 11:52 am

Today is Tuesday Feb 18th...we rode last night during the big snowfall. It was rideable, but very slow and loose in some parts. I groomed the night before hoping for a better setup of the trail surface. But the new snowfall proved too much for yielding a great hard surface. With the 4-5" that fell Monday night, the trail will not be rideable for a few days. And with the warmer temps for the next couple of days there will be no grooming until maybe Sunday or Monday (23rd/ 24th).

My best guess now is that the trial will not be worth riding until maybe Sunday the 23rd or the next day or so after that (that is when the temps get low enough to rationalize grooming efforts).

I did break some new trail sections that hopefully will end up being good singletrack snowtrails. I will update a map once these new sections become rideable (they are still not packed that much at the moment...needs a couple of more passes with the weighted sled). I am hoping for good results by this Monday/ Tuesday (24/25th).

looks like it is back to the spinbike or trainer for a few days (or the couch which is my most likely training...)!
grinder

Postby Green Giant » February 22nd, 2014, 10:25 am

thinking about trying to get out Sunday as the temps drop, any grooming plans?

Thanks a bunch guys!
Green Giant

Postby Static_Crash » February 23rd, 2014, 4:38 pm

Sounds like the trails are in great riding shape today.
Static_Crash

Postby Green Giant » February 23rd, 2014, 6:54 pm

Got out today Sunday the 23rd at 3:30pm.

Fantastic riding conditions for sure.
Green Giant

Postby dirtjunkie » February 24th, 2014, 8:13 am

Conditions on Sunday were excellent! Thanks for the recently added single track.....what...a....HOOT!

Caution: Beware of the parking lot in the normal staging area. It's glare ice. Flat and smooth enough to ice skate on.
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
dirtjunkie

Postby grinder » February 24th, 2014, 9:54 am

Just groomed the entire fatbike route last night (Sunday the 23rd) (see image below). The surface is hard and fast. Reports of averaging 11 mph on the route. I dragged this route with a new groomer that has a scraper-bar attachment that really does a great job of flattening the bumpy stuff and re-packing down a flat surface. With the temps being cold all week, this will be an amazing several days to get on the fatbike.

Two new added sections:
1- from the main 5-way intersection, take the Amusement Park trail backwards. It utilizes a small connector to get back to the beginning of the Peninsula section
2- from the main 5-way intersection, take the (Homestead) green loop backwards. It takes a small connector to get to the Crazy Beaver section to ride that backwards to the yellow trail
You can't get lost...this route is pretty much the only trail worth trying to ride...just follow the smooth 28" wide surface until you get back to the parking lot!!!

You can make some cool routes with these new sections...it allows us to ride on "single-track" which is much more appealing than the wide yellow fire-trails. Hopefully the surface is firm enough to prevent damage by "big boot Billy" from making those lovely post holes!!!

Please ride it and post any of your comments on this forum...it helps the learning curve to hear from everyone that experiences this trail. Also, I have not measured a distance yet...plan on doing it Tuesday evening. Thinking it could be around 6-7 miles maybe???

Last edited by grinder on February 26th, 2014, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grinder

Postby grinder » February 24th, 2014, 10:27 am

some pics of trail surface from Sunday's grooming (Feb 23rd):
grinder

Postby dirtjunkie » February 24th, 2014, 10:51 am

You guys are doing a fantastic job! Thank you!

We tried to ride the Homestead yesterday....along with another section that was also groomed. It was tough going, but we managed. I think the pass that you made will make it that much better.

We made a number of loops and just kinda rode figure 8's and other made up routes. Super fun.

Again....many thanks!
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
dirtjunkie

Postby magsnharley » February 24th, 2014, 10:08 pm

Rode Monday afternoon, newer trails softer than the others, but are very rideable. Thanks again, Dan and Tony. Side note, be careful at the trailhead, you could literally ice skate on it.
magsnharley

Postby grinder » February 25th, 2014, 6:51 pm

just got back from a sweet ride! The 2 new sections (Amusement park & Green to Crazy Beaver) were rideable but very loose. I would say that if you want a workout then try it...

I was planning on grooming tonight (Tuesday the 25th), but there is too much snow in the immediate future (forecast for up to 4-5 more inches between now and Thursday AM) and i didn't want to waste my time. I am guessing that the trail will still be very good without grooming for the next day or two. There is some drifting going on (a bit windy this afternoon)...but you can still ride through it fine because the base underneath the drifted snow is good.

I plan on grooming later Thursday evening...the snow should be done falling by then. I think another few passes on the two new sections will do wonders for them.

My Endomondo GPS said the entire loop was 5.2 miles (including the two new sections). Except for the two new sections, the trail was perfect today! smooth, flat, flowy and really fast! I didn't push it too hard in the corners but there seemed to be some good grip out there today. My ride today felt more like regular mountain biking...what I mean is that if I wanted to push hard I could accelerate...even uphill. So get out there and enjoy some really good conditions! I expect that come this Friday afternoon, the entire loop will be in very good condition. For now, maybe consider staying off the two new sections...you can ride it, but it is nowhere near as fun as the rest.

Again, I plan on grooming Thursday evening...so Friday and the weekend should be great! I will update another grooming status come this Thursday evening!

have fun!!!
grinder

Postby bikerector » February 26th, 2014, 12:53 pm

Are the trails open to regular mtb's or are these limited to fat tires at low psi to keep from ruts forming?
"Life is what we make it"
http://www.cyclingandsuffering.com
bikerector

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments