Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby Green Epic » February 16th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Can anyone tell me the trail conditions? I was thinking about making a trip up to ride the trail early Saturday morning. Thanks
Green Epic

Postby Roy » February 17th, 2012, 8:12 am

The temperature will be below freezing for only 4 hours before you ride. STAY OFF THE TRAIL!
Roy

Postby billmania » February 17th, 2012, 9:02 am

[/b]quote="Roy"]The temperature will be below freezing for only 4 hours before you ride. STAY OFF THE TRAIL![/quote]

http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Weat ... 12&x=0&y=0
Its been at our just below freezing since at least 10pm. If the trail is frozen YOURE GOOD TO GO.
billmania

Postby monkeyevil » February 17th, 2012, 9:34 am

Being an offroader and a mountain biker, I completely understand trail maintenance and conservation, but the treatment of new members here is ridiculous sometime.
monkeyevil

Postby Sortaslow » February 17th, 2012, 10:36 am

monkeyevil wrote:Being an offroader and a mountain biker, I completely understand trail maintenance and conservation, but the treatment of new members here is ridiculous sometime.

Should have seen the responses to my first post here. Good god. I cried for two days straight. I really watch what I ask and say around here now. Not worth the argument sometimes.
But also keep in mind, written words can be out of context and seem harsh, when actually the poster isn't actually being that way.

And by the way, *beep* off.

Just kidding there!
Sortaslow

Postby Static_Crash » February 17th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Its been at our just below freezing since at least 10pm. If the trail is frozen YOURE GOOD TO GO.

Bingo.

I'm not sure why it's made into such a big deal by some people (Yes, I participate in trail days.) You show up for your ride and if it's mess going into it, you just cut your ride short. If it's not a mess, you ride on. Conditions change so rapidly you never know what you're going to get until you get out there.

Have a good ride, Green Epic.
Static_Crash

Postby billmania » February 17th, 2012, 12:55 pm

billmania

Postby billmania » February 17th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Static_Crash wrote:

Bingo.

I'm not sure why it's made into such a big deal by some people (Yes, I participate in trail days.) You show up for your ride and if it's mess going into it, you just cut your ride short. If it's not a mess, you ride on. Conditions change so rapidly you never know what you're going to get until you get out there.

Agreed.
I have no idea why some people feel the need to be so militant about it. Makes us mmba members seem like a bunch of self righteous Nazis.
billmania

Postby SteveF » February 17th, 2012, 1:15 pm

billmania wrote:
Static_Crash wrote:

Bingo.

Agreed.
I have no idea why some people feel the need to be so militant about it. Makes us mmba members seem like a bunch of self righteous Nazis.

Pent up frustration--cold, cloudy weather, can't ride trails, see trails getting trashed by people that don't know better or don't care, lash out...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby monkeyevil » February 17th, 2012, 1:19 pm

SteveF wrote:...trails getting trashed by people that don't know better...

Education rather than chastization may be a better solution?

SteveF wrote:[...trails getting trashed by people that] don't care...

Those are the idiots that don't get my sympathy. However,I don't feel like those idiots will be out in large numbers on a advocacy site.

And this has gotten way off topic... should we start a new post to discuss this?
monkeyevil

Postby billmania » February 17th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Won't get you anywhere. Its a sport designed to be ridden on any terrain of course people will abuse the trails. Its endemic.
billmania

Postby SteveF » February 17th, 2012, 2:26 pm

monkeyevil wrote:And this has gotten way off topic... should we start a new post to discuss this?

Heh, there are threads about it in at least three other forums so we could just join in anywhere...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby F7Cannon » February 17th, 2012, 8:27 pm

Maybe we could start patroling some of our local trails on foot and peper spray any one attempting to ride nasty muddy soft trails. :wink:
F7Cannon

Postby monkeyevil » February 17th, 2012, 9:10 pm

F7Cannon wrote:Maybe we could start patroling some of our local trails on foot and peper spray any one attempting to ride nasty muddy soft trails. :wink:

Beanbag riot gun sounds like more fun.
monkeyevil

Postby Sortaslow » February 17th, 2012, 10:42 pm

monkeyevil wrote:
F7Cannon wrote:Maybe we could start patroling some of our local trails on foot and peper spray any one attempting to ride nasty muddy soft trails. :wink:

Beanbag riot gun sounds like more fun.

There's also the do you pack heat while you ride thread. Let's join that. We can shoot people on wet trails! I always bring my 9mm anyway ..... not for protection, but just in case someone has a nicer bike than me. "Get off the bike racer boy. It's mine now! "
Yee haw!!!!
Sortaslow

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions