Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby magsnharley » January 15th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Some of the two track is ridable. Went this afternoon with the mukluk and a studded 29er. The single track sucks, with 6-7 inches of crusty snow.
magsnharley

Postby Green Giant » January 25th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Yeah, it's funny. I bought a fatbike with high hopes of a lot of outdoor riding this winter.

Turning out that it looks great in the garage. Now, this has been a crazy winter but it just seems it's so reliant on groomed trails etc thus far...

Kind of wondering where everyone is riding there fatbike. I know up north the VASA is groomed a bit and of course cannonsburg. But, seems everywhere else is really tough sledding.
Green Giant

Postby gtrowbridge » January 25th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Green Giant wrote:Yeah, it's funny. I bought a fatbike with high hopes of a lot of outdoor riding this winter.

Turning out that it looks great in the garage. Now, this has been a crazy winter but it just seems it's so reliant on groomed trails etc thus far...

Kind of wondering where everyone is riding there fatbike. I know up north the VASA is groomed a bit and of course cannonsburg. But, seems everywhere else is really tough sledding.

Ironically we are blessed this year old with a real winter and lotsa snow. To the point that it is actually enough to warrant grooming. Past 5 years not so much and great riding all winter.

This year I look for dirt roads and snowmobile trails. However not highly used trails as too dangerous. If you can find trails that are thru fields by only a few sleds then good to go.

Otherwise other groomed trails are merrel and wahfield.

I find it funny that we have this problem this year after so many years of weak winters.

wMMBA Ionia State Rec Area Trail Coordinator - Using Tapatalk from my cell.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby Static_Crash » January 25th, 2014, 11:20 pm

Green Giant wrote:Yeah, it's funny. I bought a fatbike with high hopes of a lot of outdoor riding this winter.

I hear ya man. Merrell has been real nice and well worth the trip, although I'm not sure how it will be after this latest snowfall. It's unfortunate we can't get the Fort in fat bike shape because we need something local real bad.
Static_Crash

Postby SteveF » January 26th, 2014, 5:56 am

The way to do it is to get a group of fat bikers together for a group ride, and take turns breaking trail. The first lap will suck, but it'll be great the 2nd time around.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby gtrowbridge » January 26th, 2014, 9:47 am

SteveF wrote:The way to do it is to get a group of fat bikers together for a group ride, and take turns breaking trail. The first lap will suck, but it'll be great the 2nd time around.

Or a group of snowshoe folks works real good to. That's what we've got going on the rail trail next to Ionia until we can get our grooming method approved and finalized.

wMMBA Ionia State Rec Area Trail Coordinator - Using Tapatalk from my cell.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby Static_Crash » January 26th, 2014, 1:42 pm

A few of us are heading out for a ride at the Fort around 3:00 today if anyone wants to come out and help lay down some fat track.
Static_Crash

Postby SteveF » January 26th, 2014, 7:48 pm

Please let us know how it goes/went!
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Static_Crash » January 26th, 2014, 9:54 pm

We didn't have a whole lot of luck on the trails and ended up doing the majority of are riding around the campground. Heading out on the Red backwards (stay on the fire trail) was in the best shape and rides nicely all the way out to the 5-way where Green and Red come together. Unfortunately, once you get to that point it gets too deep and too soft so you have to turn around and head back. Its close to having a loop, but it needs a lot of traffic and/or grooming. We had some good conversation with the cross-country skiers out there who were very welcoming to our presence, and we also had some discussion about grooming. Hopefully we can get the DNR on board with it.
Static_Crash

Postby gtrowbridge » January 27th, 2014, 8:23 am

Static_Crash wrote:We didn't have a whole lot of luck on the trails and ended up doing the majority of are riding around the campground. Heading out on the Red backwards (stay on the fire trail) was in the best shape and rides nicely all the way out to the 5-way where Green and Red come together. Unfortunately, once you get to that point it gets too deep and too soft so you have to turn around and head back. Its close to having a loop, but it needs a lot of traffic and/or grooming. We had some good conversation with the cross-country skiers out there who were very welcoming to our presence, and we also had some discussion about grooming. Hopefully we can get the DNR on board with it.

From talking to the XC skiers I have met sounds like they are having somewhat of the same issues as the fat bikers this winter.
Its too bad that the previous winters have been so bad that we have lost funding and interest in snow sports this far south.
gtrowbridge

Postby Static_Crash » February 6th, 2014, 12:59 pm

Initial reports from this morning weren't a good as we were hoping for. The snow we got overnight combined with the foot/dog traffic made the groomed sections a little tougher going than expected. Sounds like they were definitely able to ride them, but it will take some cooperation with the weather and a couple of more passes to really get things nice out there. Of course some fat tire traffic will be great too!

-TC

In case you missed it:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122807

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122808
Static_Crash

Postby magsnharley » February 6th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Static_Crash wrote:Initial reports from this morning weren't a good as we were hoping for. The snow we got overnight combined with the foot/dog traffic made the groomed sections a little tougher going than expected. Sounds like they were definitely able to ride them, but it will take some cooperation with the weather and a couple of more passes to really get things nice out there. Of course some fat tire traffic will be great too!

-TC

In case you missed it:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122807

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122808

Tomorrow 3:45, if anyone is interested in helping pack in this trail.
magsnharley

Postby Static_Crash » February 7th, 2014, 10:39 pm

Groomed section was mostly ridable today except for the open field sections. Of course it didn't take long for all of the trail users to make use of the freshly groomed trail. Overall the sections through the wooded areas were real nice so we'll look to do more singletrack before the snow melts in May :D

Heads up for this weekend though:

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/proa ... stricted=1

AUGUSTA — Team Hartwell Sports and the Kalamazoo Husky Club will host a class this weekend for anyone interested in learning the ropes of dog-sledding.
Mushing 101 will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Fort Custer Recreation Area campground, 5163 Fort Custer Drive.
Static_Crash

Postby dirtjunkie » February 11th, 2014, 6:05 pm

Any trail updates after the mushers went thru this past weekend? Was thinking about heading there tomorrow .....
Mark Spore
CPS Series Points Keeper
http://crosscountrycycle.com/
dirtjunkie

Postby Static_Crash » February 11th, 2014, 10:11 pm

This is what I got from a rider today:

3 full loops + 3 extra start of the red loops... best its been. Only had to step out twice... and that's only because I forget to handle my bike from time to time... no big pit holes or anything...Field was fine too.. Still not super fast but better.. No real holes to worry about. Seems to be firmer

With the slight warm up Thursday we are going to try and get out and make a couple of more passes with the sleds and groomers with hopes that it will firm up real good overnight. If you do go out and ride it, please let us know your thoughts as we are seeking any input to help us along with the process.
Static_Crash

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments