Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby Bigtymer » December 6th, 2011, 10:34 pm

I think the correct response would be "do you have a mommy complex or something?"
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby irishpitbull » December 6th, 2011, 11:02 pm

Lol use the quote button.
irishpitbull

Postby Bigtymer » December 7th, 2011, 8:39 am

Read!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby yamaha13 » December 9th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Sorry bigtymer after two car loads driving an hour and 15 mins to Custer we should have turned back after we encountered the first mud puddle and maybe headed over to one of the local pubs and just got falling down drunk then drove home hoping not to pass out and kill someones grandmother on the drive home. But no we trudged on clearing brush and small trees off the green and red loops so the next person wouldn't have too. And the reason I even posted the trail conditions was so that someone wondering how the trails were could find out before they drove all the way there. I hope this makes you feel better about yourself and life in general.
yamaha13

Postby Bigtymer » December 9th, 2011, 4:02 pm

I hope this make you feel better about yourself and life in general?? I'm pretty sure the southwest chapter advises riders to stay off the trails when they are muddy. if you ever ride SGA in Cannonsburg there are certain sections that are as wide as a double track road. Why, because riders ride the trail when it's muddy. So the trail widens and causes ruts. But hey I'm just look out for my home trails back in Michigan that I grew up riding. In case you're wondering about my life in general I would have to say its pretty darn good. Living in Grand Junction,CO and riding some of the hardest trails in the country has its advantages. So make do with your pebbles and twig trails, and try not to make enemies while riding muddy trails. Good day:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby detroitjohnny » January 26th, 2012, 7:34 am

OK, I'll ask the question first so no one has to get too riled up..... :D

Has anyone been out to Custer, and if so is it too muddy to ride? I'm down in Nashville, TN for work and had planned to take an extra day on the way home to ride mammoth cave (now closed to bikes and open to horses only) or brown County. BUT, it's been raining down here this week and it's way to wet to ride. When I drove past Custer of the my way down the other day I couldn't tell if it was frozen or muddy.

Thanks!
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby mtbyker » January 26th, 2012, 7:40 am

Ride in the morning and it will be frozen, icy, but frozen.
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby JRP » January 26th, 2012, 11:25 pm

I think its gonna be *beep*. It was warm and raining most of today in Battle Creek, and there is a 100% chance of freezing rain/sleet/snow tonight. Friday Low 28* High 38* = mud
JRP

Postby balexander87 » February 1st, 2012, 7:14 pm

How's the weather been at Custer for the past week or so? Anyone have an update on the trails' conditions? I was thinking about driving from St. Joe this weekend to ride, but not if things are still sloppy.
balexander87

Postby Static_Crash » February 4th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Hey Ben, not sure if you made the trip up, but the trails were in good shape this morning. We basically stuck to Red because I didn't have a lot of faith that Green would be in good shape. Sunday morning should be good to go as well.
Static_Crash

Postby monkeyevil » February 4th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Any ice?
monkeyevil

Postby Static_Crash » February 4th, 2012, 5:19 pm

No ice except for maybe one or two small areas and was surprisingly dry and in good riding shape. Is it really February? :shock:
Static_Crash

Postby monkeyevil » February 5th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Static_Crash wrote:No ice except for maybe one or two small areas and was surprisingly dry and in good riding shape. Is it really February? :shock:

Rode this morning. Red was good to go with very little ice. As it warmed up green was getting borderline. Still frozen, but a thin layer of wet was forming on top in some spots. Also some sketchy ice strategically located on a few descents.

If it stays above freezing I'd avoid green.
monkeyevil

Postby balexander87 » February 6th, 2012, 8:06 am

Static_Crash wrote:Hey Ben, not sure if you made the trip up, but the trails were in good shape this morning. We basically stuck to Red because I didn't have a lot of faith that Green would be in good shape. Sunday morning should be good to go as well.

Thanks for the info! I, unfortunately, did not make it out. Got out Friday afternoon and rode some trails closer to home, tho. I'm really bummed St. Joe isn't closer to St. Joe :-( Buying a house at the moment, so not sure how many weekends I'll have to drive out there for a while. I'll have to check out the trail day schedule and plan to make it out to a few more this year.
balexander87

Postby Static_Crash » February 6th, 2012, 2:38 pm

Ahhh Michigan, what a difference 48 hours can make.. it's like rut city out there now. The trails have gone soft and muddy, so please avoid riding them until conditions improve. :(
Static_Crash

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions