Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby hopsbag » October 11th, 2011, 11:25 am

brokenbones wrote:I was disappointed to find the log step-up around markers 12 and 13 on Green had been filled in. That was always a nice challenge to clear.

I agree. Presumably, there was a good reason to remove the obstacle, but I would rather have seen a ride-around option for those not up to the challenge. I consider myself a rider of only average skills, so I always got a sense of accomplishment when I cleared that sucker. That was my only let-down this past weekend when I rode Ft. Custer. I enjoyed all the trails and the work that has been done armoring and re-building various sections. Thanks to those who build and maintain here!
hopsbag

Postby brokenbones » October 17th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Was here for the afternoon Sunday. Hit up some of the new trail, which will be nice once it gets packed down. Big tree down in Granny's about 2/3's of the way thru that you need to climb over. Right before the RH drop that's armored with logs or pavers (don't recall). Green was clear of trees except one 4-5 incher that was rideable, maybe 1/4 of the way in.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby johnnyg » October 26th, 2011, 9:30 am

update on Official Trail Separation on November 14, 2011 is posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107312
John Gonway-- insert signature here
johnnyg

Postby yamaha13 » October 29th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Rode 21 miles at Fort Custer today love the new 1 mile section, did not however love the horses and droppings on the green nor the two fine gentlemen with their shot guns walking on the red loop. Posted a picture of the license plate of the perps on Custer's Facebook page but they took my posting off. Just trying to help!
yamaha13

Postby blamp28 » October 29th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Guns are allowed in most state areas this time of year. Is Custer not one of them?
blamp28

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » October 29th, 2011, 11:25 pm

blamp28 wrote:Guns are allowed in most state areas this time of year. Is Custer not one of them?

You are correct but only for small game right now, usually shotguns. Its still bow season for deer till the 15th.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby SteveF » October 30th, 2011, 7:54 am

"Perps?" They're called "hunters," and they've got as much right to be out there right now as we do... "perps." :lol:

<Edit> Sorry, I don't mean to mock you but internet abbreviations and smiley's aside, that genuinely made me "laugh out loud." I can see if you weren't aware that hunting season meant encountering the occasional armed fellow (or gal) that you might've been alarmed.

Re. horses, I suppose they'll be eager to get a last lap or two on "our," trails before the trail split kicks in on 11/14, and also of course before deer gun season starts. I just hope whoever is building the new horse trails makes them interesting enough to keep equestrians from getting bored and poaching "our," trails and starting this whole issue over again...
Last edited by SteveF on October 30th, 2011, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby blamp28 » October 30th, 2011, 9:22 am

Precisely my point. Thanks.
blamp28

Postby yamaha13 » October 31st, 2011, 7:07 am

I was referring to the horses and their owners when I said "Perps" Don't that just sound a little like law and Order? Gotta love it glad you got a chuckle anyway.
yamaha13

Postby brokenbones » November 20th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Hit Yankee yesterday and the Fort today to finish up riding on the western side of the state for this year. Really enjoyed the new trail reroutes the locals have done. Thank you! The new Red is significantly longer and should be pretty fun once the tread gets worn in a little more. It's pretty bumpy right now. The only sad part about the reroutes is that we had to give up a few "big air" opportunities before the old approach to Cardiac, and on the Speedway.

As for trail conditions, there were a few trees down that will require a chainsaw. The first one is blocking the "old" trail (marker 8-9) that is now ridden in the opposite direction following the rerouted section after Granny's. The second is blocking the trail leading into the Peninsula (I thought we had to give up the Peninsula?), just after marker 15. There's another one right at the hairpin left turn at marker 16. Then there is one very large tree blocking the trail just a ways after Erin's monument on Green. This one has "Fort Custer Feature" written all over it, like the log ride on Red just before the Amusement Park, or the 2 log stacks after Cardiac.

Oh, one other point of interest for today; There were several K-9 search teams out in the woods, looking for 2 people missing since September, and a local TV crew out there too, documenting their efforts. Yikes.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby yamaha13 » December 3rd, 2011, 8:51 pm

Rode Custer today, trail is wet and snowy and muddy all over.
yamaha13

Postby irishpitbull » December 6th, 2011, 5:31 pm

How many miles are rideable after the horse and bike split off?

Thanks
irishpitbull

Postby Bigtymer » December 6th, 2011, 6:00 pm

If its wet and muddy all over you probably shouldn't be riding the trail
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby irishpitbull » December 6th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Bigtymer wrote:If its wet and muddy all over you probably shouldn't be riding the trail

Christ dude, I'm not riding the trail I'm asking a question. You got a mommy complex or something?
irishpitbull

Postby Bigtymer » December 6th, 2011, 10:29 pm

No, I was responding to yamaha's comment above yours sweet guy.
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions