Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby gtrowbridge » September 17th, 2011, 10:53 am

Irish57 wrote:I took my wife out to the fort for the first time. Everything was great till we got marker 17 on the yellow trail when there was horse"bleep" all the way in to the parking lot. Then we road the blue and that was totally overrun with horse poo. Quite disgusting! First time running or should I say riding into this situation! :twisted: Does this crap get cleaned up? Half joking!!

Is it my imagination or is the horse doody getting worse before it gets better?
Or is there just a new round of folks getting to experience the smelly stuff?

If you ride during hunting season Im sure there will be less issues. :P
At least I do. Hunters crap in the woods not on the trail.
:wink:
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby Static_Crash » September 17th, 2011, 11:07 am

It's fair week, so it just bad timing for a ride at the Fort.
Static_Crash

Postby sawdustysneeze » September 17th, 2011, 11:16 am

I rode red and green yesterday before 1 and I must say that I don't remember any crap on the red and the green had several piles, but it wasn't all over the place like some of you make it out to be. I guess maybe the trails got heavier traffic later, but let's not exaggerate... I too look forward to the trail separation, but enough of the whining and crying. sheeeeeez...
sawdustysneeze

Postby Go_Green » September 18th, 2011, 9:00 pm

I think the descriptions were accurate. Friday, before the Horse Camp, the crap was ALL over the trail. I can't imagine what it looked like after the camp.

When is the official split?
Go_Green

Postby whitekir » September 24th, 2011, 8:02 pm

Had a nice ride out here today. First time on this system. We really enjoyed it, even with the damp conditions. Loved those trenches! We will definitely be coming back for more!
whitekir

Postby brokenbones » September 25th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Red and Green rocked today. Many thanks to the people doing the trail repairs and hard work out there. I noticed some new armoring on Red since my last visit there 4 weeks ago. I was disappointed to find the log step-up around markers 12 and 13 on Green had been filled in. That was always a nice challenge to clear.

The light rain or threat of rain must have kept everyone away this afternoon. I had the trails completely to myself. With the slight dampness the trail surface was tight and fast rolling.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby airborn » September 30th, 2011, 9:08 am

what are the trails like after a lot of rain? Like this last week of on and off rain the weather says no rain on satuday, will the trails be to wet or does the sand soak it all up and the trails are rideable? Thanks I live in IN and wanted to make the trip up and am hoping some MI people can shed some light. :D
airborn

Postby risnewski » September 30th, 2011, 12:16 pm

airborn wrote:what are the trails like after a lot of rain? Like this last week of on and off rain the weather says no rain on satuday, will the trails be to wet or does the sand soak it all up and the trails are rideable? Thanks I live in IN and wanted to make the trip up and am hoping some MI people can shed some light. :D

I camped there during a very rainy weekend a couple years ago and the trails all held up very well. Unless a local posts up different, I'd say you'll have good riding conditions.
risnewski

Postby blamp28 » September 30th, 2011, 2:09 pm

I usually like the fort after a rain or enen during. there may be a few spots with a little mud but the trail cries well.
blamp28

Postby Static_Crash » September 30th, 2011, 2:17 pm

According to this map the Fort has seen quite a bit of rain over the last 24 hours. This on top of what we've seen over the course of the week will certainly cause some slick/messy spots, but you should be fine to ride it. You'll find Red Loop trouble spots early on and then around the log bridge before you reach the Green Loop junction. The Green Loop should be fine except when you get closer to the low lying areas around the lake and Sniper's Reroute. The sand will be nice and packed though!

FYI - Trail Work will take place Saturday morning from 8am to ?, so heads up.
Static_Crash

Postby brokenbones » September 30th, 2011, 4:58 pm

For riders coming from farther away (like me), there is a NOAA weather station at the Kellogg Battle Creek airport which is just a couple miles east of the park. You can get the current weather at their website. If you follow this link: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KBTL.html you will see the 3 previous days weather broken down by the hour, including rain accumulation. Many times this tool has confirmed my weekend plans, or saved me a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Also useful is the NOAA radar here: http://radar.weather.gov/. Click on the blue push pin near Grand Rapids to see the radar coverage of the region. At the top of the page you can enter the city you're interested in (for instance Battle Creek, MI) in the little window marked "Local weather forecast by "City, St". This will take you to that city's long-range forecast and the current weather. That's also where you will find the button for the 3 day history. Cool stuff. Your tax dollars at work - may as well enjoy it.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby airborn » September 30th, 2011, 5:45 pm

I appreciate the comments and as of now I belive my buddy and I will be heading to Fort Custer in the morning. From what it sounds like the trails should be ok. Has any one ridden them today? Any comments?
airborn

Postby JRP » September 30th, 2011, 6:28 pm

I doubt anybody was riding today. Weather around here was crap at best all day. Windy, cold, and rain. Id think you should be ok Saturday. Looks like its going to be sunny and a good wind. Should dry out fairly quick.
JRP

Postby airborn » October 1st, 2011, 9:52 pm

WOW what an outstanding day at Fort Custer!!!!!!!!!!! after all that rain for an entire week the trails were just about perfect my buddy and I had a great time! Thanks for the info that lead us to make the trip! We met a MMBA member that had just fineshed working on a new trail at the beginning of green and he asked us to try out the new section they had just finished up it was very soft but the trail has much potential all it needs is packed in, so get ridding fellas......
airborn

Postby MLKuhl » October 8th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Rode green & red this morning..trails are in excellent shape, hard and fast with the occasional horse pooh pile. Thanks to all who maintain these trails!!
MLKuhl

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions