Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby IFrider1 » September 4th, 2011, 8:13 am

Any local reports? Did you guys get alot of rain yesterday / last night? Trying to decide if we are going to trip out there today from the east side.........

Thanks!
IFrider1

Postby Static_Crash » September 4th, 2011, 9:17 am

Haven't been out today yet, but I plan on it later this afternoon. I can tell you we didn't see much rain at all and the 24-hour precipitation map basically shows the majority of the rain fell to the South. I'm sure there will be a couple of muddy spots and a few trees down, but I wouldn't let it deter you from coming out. The trails usually hold up pretty good and the little rain we did get will certainly help with the sand.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/radar/24hr/mi_/radar.asp
Static_Crash

Postby IFrider1 » September 4th, 2011, 9:48 am

Static_Crash wrote:Haven't been out today yet, but I plan on it later this afternoon. I can tell you we didn't see much rain at all and the 24-hour precipitation map basically shows the majority of the rain fell to the South. I'm sure there will be a couple of muddy spots and a few trees down, but I wouldn't let it deter you from coming out. The trails usually hold up pretty good and the little rain we did get will certainly help with the sand.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/radar/24hr/mi_/radar.asp

Thanks! Much appreciated. See ya there.
IFrider1

Postby Static_Crash » September 4th, 2011, 8:24 pm

The Fort is in great shape, and that combined with the cool weather makes for a great ride. A couple of pesky trees have been taken care of on Red. The one in the Trenches has been removed and the one towards the end of the Amusement Park has been made into a really nice log pile. Thanks to whoever did the work.
Static_Crash

Postby bh357 » September 11th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Rode there today for the first time since 2008. I had almost forgot how much of a hoot this trail is to ride. Trail was in excellent condition.
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby Irish57 » September 14th, 2011, 6:04 pm

Trail is in great condition!!! A blast! Rode the yellow trail and it was a somewhat sandy in some spots but OK to get through. First time on the yellow trail. This after I started out with a flat tire. :oops: Definitely will be back.
Irish57

Postby Static_Crash » September 14th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Hopefully you hit the recent work on the Gravel Pit section of the Red Loop because it sure bumped up the fun level. If you want some nice air after you enter the first section be sure to hit the big flagstone on the right side of the mound, but if air isn't your thing just stay left. The new flagstone berm that follows really adds some speed to your decent if you stay high. Fun stuff!
Static_Crash

Postby Lefty 55 » September 15th, 2011, 8:11 pm

Found on the Red Loop, a late model key fob with carabiner for a Mercury. Left hung up at the trailhead kiosk
The finish line is not given, It is earned.
Lefty 55

Postby Sortaslow » September 16th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Hi guys,

Is the blue worth riding? I love red and green.
Sortaslow

Postby Static_Crash » September 16th, 2011, 2:44 pm

We will occasionally incorporate Blue into our ride as a good tune-up for Red and Green. Typically we'll jump on Blue right after the Gravel Pit on Red where the trail shoots off to the right. There's nothing technical on Blue, but there are a couple of decent climbs and downhills and plenty of places for some real good speed that will get the blood pumping. You'll eventually wind up back at the bridge and continuing on Red. It's not clearly marked in some places, but if you make a wrong turn it's no pain at all to get back to where you want to be. So yes, it is worth riding occasionally, so hit it.
Static_Crash

Postby Sortaslow » September 16th, 2011, 2:45 pm

Thanks!
Sortaslow

Postby Go_Green » September 16th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Road today. Great condition: Red Blue Green.

Horse *beep* everywhere. I saw about 7 horses out there.
Go_Green

Postby mtbyker » September 16th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Go_Green wrote:Road today. Great condition: Red Blue Green.

There is a "Horse Camp" this weekend, and there are going to be tons of horses on the trails, I would probably stay away.
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby thud » September 16th, 2011, 9:49 pm

mtbyker wrote:
Go_Green wrote:Road today. Great condition: Red Blue Green.

There is a "Horse Camp" this weekend, and there are going to be tons of horses on the trails, I would probably stay away.

The crap is of the unavoidable variety as well -I refused to drink anything from my water bottle due to splatter effect. I swear they give those things laxatives before they hit the trails.
thud

Postby Irish57 » September 17th, 2011, 10:01 am

I took my wife out to the fort for the first time. Everything was great till we got marker 17 on the yellow trail when there was horse"bleep" all the way in to the parking lot. Then we road the blue and that was totally overrun with horse poo. Quite disgusting! First time running or should I say riding into this situation! :twisted: Does this crap get cleaned up? Half joking!!
Irish57

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions