Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby bluedog » February 20th, 2013, 6:23 pm

The GF and I will be heading back to Chicago from the Motor City on Monday the 25th. and plan on riding the Fat Bikes.

Anyone Ridden Fort Custer lately?

Thanks,

B
bluedog

Postby felterskelter » March 11th, 2013, 6:43 am

Would anyone be willing to give us a conditions report? We have a big group planning on driving over from Chicago this weekend.
felterskelter

Postby vintagefisher » March 11th, 2013, 8:47 am

felterskelter wrote:Would anyone be willing to give us a conditions report? We have a big group planning on driving over from Chicago this weekend.

I have not been out there, but i live close...it will be a swamp most likely. stuff is still melting, so I would avoid it for another week or two at least.
'09 Jamis Dragon One SS (lots of carbon and steel)
70s Ratty old fixed gear commuter/beer getter

http://mysinglespeed.com/

"You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."
vintagefisher

Postby felterskelter » March 11th, 2013, 11:39 am

Thanks.
felterskelter

Postby Static_Crash » March 12th, 2013, 9:37 am

I haven't been out to check this week, but I think it's safe to say that conditions will not be favorable for a ride during the midday and afternoon hours over the weekend with temps in the mid 40's. But if temps drop into the 20's overnight as predicted, then an early morning ride might not be out of the question. If I get out there before the weekend or if I hear any different, I'll post it here.
Static_Crash

Postby clydeone » March 20th, 2013, 8:30 am

Any trail condition news? Snowy and fat bike? Sloppy and unridable? Planning on Yankee or Custer on Monday morning.
2013 Trails - Brown County, Poto(Finally) Arcadia Dunes, Yankee, Custer, Andrews, TK Lawless, Bendix Woods, Rum Village, Love Creek
2013 Total Mileage - 4932
2013 Trail miles - 338 - pitiful
clydeone

Postby jerry880wang » March 23rd, 2013, 5:39 pm

I went to fort Custer today at around 10:30 it was not necessary horrible for mountain biking. I rode the red trial and there is some snow in the forest. I fall once on a curb where it accumulates too much snow. The big jungles are dry and safe. The temp is between -1 to 1 Celsius. I don't think riders should wait till snow melt because the trial will become muddy. It's better to go there early in the morning rather than afternoon, when the temp is higher. When I leave it was about 12:30. The trail became a little muddy. Sorry but English is not my first language. But riders should go with confidence in the morning.
jerry880wang

Postby clydeone » March 25th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Rode today between ~10 and 12 trail was frozen - temp was right at 32
Rode all of the green - some sections of snow and ice especially in the pines
only mud I found was in sniper's reroute and it was just the section near the lake

about ~15% of the the trail was snow and ice the rest was either dry or frozen

I did portions of the red and found similar conditions
2013 Trails - Brown County, Poto(Finally) Arcadia Dunes, Yankee, Custer, Andrews, TK Lawless, Bendix Woods, Rum Village, Love Creek
2013 Total Mileage - 4932
2013 Trail miles - 338 - pitiful
clydeone

Postby thud » March 28th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Have the trails firmed up enough to ride in the daytime yet? Anyone?
thud

Postby jonw9 » March 28th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Reports from Facebook say they trails are currently borderline in the morning (10 am) and not to be ridden after noon.

I am guessing if anything, the next few days you would need to get out there earlier.
I don't know how firm things will get overnight, but they get sloppy quick.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby thud » March 28th, 2013, 4:20 pm

Doh! Forgot about Facecrack. Thanks.
thud

Postby Cefai » April 2nd, 2013, 2:49 pm

The Fort's in good shape. Red loop is perfect, just a bit of mud on green.
Cefai

Postby Flyer 130 » April 4th, 2013, 7:44 pm

Took a trip on the Red for te first time this season...trail is in awsome shape for the first ride. There was only really two spots that got questionable. The first drop into Granny's Garden at the bottom just past last years new tree feature complete MUD!!! The rest of the Garden was in summertime shape. The only other spot was after DOA on to marker 8 into Sleepy Holler there was about three inches of mud in the trail we just rode to the side and avoided the Holler just in case. Not sure about the new feture just before No Fear but the skinny coming out of Crazy Beaver was fun!!
Flyer 130

Postby Ed » April 25th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Looks like the rain might be done for a few days. Any thoughts on the trail being rideable by Saturday? I am thinking about taking a weekend camping trip here.
Ed

Postby detroitjohnny » April 25th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Curious about the same. I'll be in Kalamazoo this weekend gisiting family and was planning on riding custer on sunday.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments