Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby vintagefisher » August 31st, 2012, 7:49 am

AJG wrote:In other related news, I was told by the president that the reroute around the downed tree before the first brick climb in Grannies Garden is permanent.

YES!!
'09 Jamis Dragon One SS (lots of carbon and steel)
70s Ratty old fixed gear commuter/beer getter

http://mysinglespeed.com/

"You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."
vintagefisher

Postby Flyer 130 » August 31st, 2012, 3:15 pm

Ok the "over easy" is gone sad but...people want some thing new to replace it...Brain storming here (and yes it hurts) why not use the two lines? making something new technical on the old bypass, and continue using the old "over easy" line a complete haul ass into the chute? maybee do something on the next trail day?
Flyer 130

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » September 3rd, 2012, 10:44 pm

Booooo, those were two of my favorite obstacles. I loved the look on people's faces when I took the right skinny. And what was wrong with the log pile through the V of the tree?

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby i69whitey » September 3rd, 2012, 11:13 pm

vintagefisher wrote:
AJG wrote:In other related news, I was told by the president that the reroute around the downed tree before the first brick climb in Grannies Garden is permanent.

YES!!

heck a tourist from the eastide can clean that :roll:

rode custer for the first time today (well, except for a half loop after an ice storm a few years back)
what a blast!!!
really liked the stuff thru the trenches after #16 on the red WOO-HOO
even the stuff that appears to be part of the 'new' routes was OK
and the rest was just fun, tacky and damp for this part of the year
musta got a little hurricane over-spray

congrats to the TC and crew, nice work
"...So whether you have got 29-, 26- or 20-inch wheels, whether you ride XC or DH, whether you've got boobs or balls, i hear you. Let's go ride." - Rachel Atherton
"Ride your bike, sleep when your dead." - dirt
http://thehubofdetroit.org/
i69whitey

Postby F7Cannon » September 8th, 2012, 6:05 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:Booooo, those were two of my favorite obstacles. I loved the look on people's faces when I took the right skinny. And what was wrong with the log pile through the V of the tree?

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2

I am a little confused here. Rode today and saw the one larger obstacle in chuncks :( but the log pile through the tree that people are talking about being gone was still there. Did two full laps of Green and Red and have been to the Fort quite a few times, was there another similar log pile somewhere that I have somehow been missing? :?

Trail was in great shape today by the way. Yesterdays rain helped out alot and the new sections are night and day from when I rode there last in March.
Shaun - Burchfield Assistant Trail Coordinator

08 Trek 6000
09 Bianchi Sok 29er Rigid SS- 20.5 lbs
11 MARIN Lombard
12 Scott Scale Team 29er 1x10

2012 Miles SS-3140 Geared-79 Road Bike-851
2013 Miles SS-722 Geared-807 Road Bike-299
2014 Miles SS-42 Road Bike-53
F7Cannon

Postby Flyer 130 » September 8th, 2012, 6:56 pm

I'm hoping that the TC's will utilize old pieces left from the over easy to make a new distraction on the the old bypass side but as of now nothing has been decided...concering the tree that now part of the red trail how many times did it take before you cleared it and the rest of the hill?
Flyer 130

Postby AJG » September 10th, 2012, 2:05 pm

F7, you're referring to the right log pile. Top of the Cardiac reroute, right?

Flyer, I've never not made that section. Find the right gear, get over the hump, pedal up the bricks, and pick your way through the roots. The second brick climb is the one that's an occasional pain for me.

Green and Red were both in good shape yesterday. Some small mud spots but the sand was tamped down a little in other spots. Fun fun fun.
AJG

Postby Flyer 130 » September 10th, 2012, 2:57 pm

AJG, I have made all of the hills on a single run....one thing that I have learned on the the downed tree is stay in lite gear and hang as far left as you can...this sets you up for a almost perfect line for the hump and the left side of the roots
Flyer 130

Postby BuellXBRider » September 11th, 2012, 9:48 pm

it seems like all the technical parts of the red loop are getting removed and getting turned into something more friendly for the hard tail cc crowd. i would like to see some wooden features like they have at refuge bike park in fremont, mi. Maybe some drops even if they are only 3 feet high it would still be some fun variety. some teeter totters or skinnies to ride on would be great.

if anyone knows of a place near kalamazoo that has these kind of features id like to hear it.
BuellXBRider

Postby Static_Crash » September 17th, 2012, 8:52 pm

A little late notice, but here's an FYI for anyone coming in to town to ride the Fort:

Please Note:
Entrance road repaving will begin on Monday, September 10th, 2012; and is expected to last until late October. An alternate entrance/exit route 3/4 of a mile East of the main entrance will be open. Contact the park office at (269) 731-4200 for additional information.
Static_Crash

Postby Static_Crash » September 27th, 2012, 5:24 pm

Per the DNR:

The entrance road repaving here at Fort Custer Recreation Area is substantially complete and the main entrance will open within the hour.
We hope that you enjoy the smooth pavement, and ask that you please keep an eye on your speedometers. The road has improved, but the speed limit has not changed.
Static_Crash

Postby cramer » October 2nd, 2012, 5:51 pm

Rode it today. Big thanks to the people that maintain this trail system! The effort really shows and it's obvious some people really care about it and put a lot of work into making it great. Trail was in great shape with many new features since the last time I've been down there.
cramer

Postby rvd » October 7th, 2012, 7:46 pm

My first time riding this trail today. Trying to keep up with my riding partner I didnt get a chance to read any numbers or section names, but who cares; pretty much the entire trail (red and green) was a blast. Tons of flow, creative features, rooty climbs, and twisty and fast in places. The armored corners and hills were beautifully constructed. Looking forward to come back soon.
rvd

Postby wizarddaw » October 20th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Been raining for what seems like days.......anyone been out to the Fort in the last couple of days?.....do you think its too wet to ride it tomorrow? Thanks!

Dave
Battle Creek, Michigan
Step up, or step aside!
Humpty Dumpty was Pushed !!
wizarddaw

Postby Flyer 130 » October 20th, 2012, 7:19 pm

Yes it has been raining out at the Fort rode Thursday and Friday and the Green trail was in great shape except for a low hanger and a big tree (that will need a chainsaw) down after the creek crossing other then those two things just a little slick
Flyer 130

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments