Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby thud » May 20th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Beware of the snapping turtle on / in crazy beaver - vicious little beast!
thud

Postby mtrela » May 26th, 2011, 1:59 pm

My wife and I will be camping in Yankee's Deep Lake campground and we of course want to bike couple of days at Fort Custer and couple of days in Yankees. Do they ever "close" the trails due to rain like we do here in Palos (Chicago)? What do you think conditions will be after all this rain? Thank you!

Marek.
Last edited by mtrela on May 27th, 2011, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtrela

Postby blamp28 » May 26th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Both drain pretty well so I wouldn't worry. The Blue loop at Custer is usually the most susceptible to rain.
blamp28

Postby mtrela » May 27th, 2011, 8:27 am

blamp28 wrote:Both drain pretty well so I wouldn't worry. The Blue loop at Custer is usually the most susceptible to rain.

Thank you!! Awesome. Can't wait to hit that single track. I love both places.
mtrela

Postby dirtjunkie » May 27th, 2011, 9:30 am

mtrela wrote:My wife and I will be camping in Yankee's Deep Lake campground and we of course want to bike couple of days at Fort Custer and couple of days in Yankees. Do they ever "close" the trails due to rain like we do here in Palos (Chicago)? What do you think conditions will be after all this rain? Thank you!

Marek.

You're gonna have a great time! Both trails will be great. PM me should you need anythingi live 5 miles away from Deep Lake.
dirtjunkie

Postby blamp28 » May 27th, 2011, 9:32 am

GREEN WITH ENVY :D
blamp28

Postby mtrela » May 27th, 2011, 3:01 pm

dirtjunkie wrote:
mtrela wrote:My wife and I will be camping in Yankee's Deep Lake campground and we of course want to bike couple of days at Fort Custer and couple of days in Yankees. Do they ever "close" the trails due to rain like we do here in Palos (Chicago)? What do you think conditions will be after all this rain? Thank you!

Marek.

You're gonna have a great time! Both trails will be great. PM me should you need anythingi live 5 miles away from Deep Lake.

Thank you. Maybe we'll see you on the trail somewhere. We both rider GF Supercaliber. My wife has red / white 26 and I have Black / Gray 29er. :D

Cheers :)
mtrela

Postby conomac » May 31st, 2011, 12:39 pm

For some reason, my first post didn't appear...

Anyone been to the trail since the storm? In need of cleanup? I'm happy to lend a hand if so.
conomac

Postby TheUkrainian » June 2nd, 2011, 6:08 pm

I was there earlier today. There were some fallen over small-medium trees along the red, but they were already cut apart and cleared off of the trail. Kudos to whoever puts their time and effort into keeping the trail nice and ridable. There are some "leaning" trees from the winds that you occasionally have to go off the trail to avoid hitting your head...I had to tuck my head between my hands to clear some of them. First time this year I've ran into horses too (7th or 8th time out here since May). Rider was going the wrong way (shocking, eh?) and there was a bunch of horse poo scattered along the trail towards the end.

Overall, looks like Fort Custer got lucky in this storm. I live in Battle Creek (Wattles Park area) and we got nailed. Giant trees fell across the roads and onto houses, as well as quite a few power poles. We just got our power back last night.
Bike: 2010 Blue Gary Fisher Advance w/ Disc Brakes
Camera: Nikon D90
Car: Ford Fusion
The only 3 things I need for a fun day.
TheUkrainian

Postby firefighterdirt » June 5th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Be careful on the Green trail today, there were about 15 horses tilling it up today. Doing as much damage as they can before they get kicked off.
CUSTER CYCLERY RACING www.custercyclery.com
firefighterdirt

Postby thud » June 5th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Looked like Grannies got a visit from them as well, something about a giant steamy pile of crap clued me in. Can't blame them though, what horse wouldn't want to tear through obstacles and tight twisty climbs :roll: .
thud

Postby AllMountin' » June 5th, 2011, 8:39 pm

I saw Grannie's horse apple pie, but did not partake. There was another fresh equestrian feature somewhere around Section 16. I used the bypass, but someone else must have done the obstacle. Congrats on cleaning it. I'm not ready for that yet.

Those leaning trees will have bypasses if they aren't cleared soon. Not complaining- just sayin'. Trails are dry; sandy; fun.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Jackle1886 » June 11th, 2011, 7:32 pm

I went yesterday early evening. Didn't have to deal with any road apples, but there were quite a few mud puddles to deal with.
Jackle1886

Postby alec » June 25th, 2011, 2:19 am

Great ride at the fort today. A couple of trees down and tons of horse crap on the green loop, but otherwise the trail was in great shape. Red loop was even better.
alec

Postby TenSpeed » July 4th, 2011, 7:44 am

First ride at Custer yesterday, and all I can say is wow!!! I loved it. Red was probably my favorite, and green was pretty fun as well. Hardly anyone out there, which kind of surprised me. Had to dodge a LOT of horse *beep* on the trail, and the bugs were pretty bad, but overall, was one of my top trails to ride. A few thorny branches over hanging the trail, but other than that, it was pretty perfect.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 4020/6000
TenSpeed

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions