Southwest: Fort Custer

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Southwest: Fort Custer

Postby Todd Scott » March 22nd, 2004, 8:23 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Fort Custer SRA
Todd Scott

Antbody have some local 411

Postby LakeRaven » March 25th, 2004, 7:36 am

How are the trails at custer hardeneding up?
LakeRaven

Postby briggs » March 26th, 2004, 8:00 pm

Anyone know the conditions at the Fort???

Thanks
“sometimes you just feel tired you feel weak and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up, but you gotta search within, you gotta find that inner strength and just pull that sh@t out of you and get that motivation to not give up..”-eminem
briggs

Postby briggs » March 27th, 2004, 7:24 pm

Rode the Green and Red today. Both were in good shape except for the horses had torn up the trails in some spots. (3/27)
“sometimes you just feel tired you feel weak and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up, but you gotta search within, you gotta find that inner strength and just pull that sh@t out of you and get that motivation to not give up..”-eminem
briggs

Postby Return of Crispy Creme » March 31st, 2004, 10:41 pm

Blue and Red are rock solid! Great ride a few days ago! The green loop as it nears *beep* Road (the beaver dam area) looks really swampy from the street. If its like last year it should be dry in.....oh July
"One minute, it's all fun and games, the next, you're blowing on a straw to signal your nurse." FrankenFuel 12/09/07
Return of Crispy Creme

Ft. Custer Conditions

Postby Tommy Boy » April 13th, 2004, 4:16 pm

Camped at Ft. Custer over Easter weekend. Rode the yellow, green and red trails. All trails are in great shape and obstruction free. The swampy area at the north end of the green is pretty dry and very rideable. A welcome change after last summer. Enjoy the rides!
Tommy Boy

Trail Conditions

Postby blamp28 » April 18th, 2004, 8:23 pm

My son and I rode the red and green loops yesterday and they are in great shape. A little more sand in patched areas. The water at the trail head is not working yet.
blamp28

Tree Down

Postby suydam » April 20th, 2004, 7:12 am

I rode Red & Blue loops last night....

During the Red Loop in Dances with Trees, very close to the end (before you turn right to head out toward the Peninsula) there's a tree across the trail that has a medium-thick branch about 18" off the ground. I was timing myself, so I hopped off and ran around it, but it might be something a few strapping young lads coudl move out of the way without needing chainsaws. Just wanted to post a warning since it caught me off guard and was way too high to hop over.

Also, the first...oh...maybe 3 tenths of a mile on the Crazy Beaver loop looks like someone took a bull dozer through it. What used to be a very tight single track through brush and tress is now a very wide and sandy stretch replete with tread-marks about 4' apart from each other straddling the trail. It wasn't bad to ride, but it's sorta ugly.

The Blue Loops are in great shape, fast, no trees, and plenty of room (since nobody ever seems to be out there on them). The Red Loop is fast and dry too, last night was great riding!
What tires should I run for Iceman?
suydam

Postby suydam » May 12th, 2004, 8:29 am

Has anyone ridden at the Fort since the big storms monday?

I was thinking of heading over there, but after watching street closures in downtown BC on Monday night (flooding! yay!) I'm not sure what condition the trails'll be in.

Any eye witness accounts?
suydam

Postby Return of Crispy Creme » May 17th, 2004, 2:08 am

The trail is in good condition.

There is a large tree down across the trail from Fridays storm on the Freeway of the red/yellow loop. It sneaks up on you as you round a corner so don't hammer thru the beginning of the freeway!

The water fountain is STILL not turned on.
"One minute, it's all fun and games, the next, you're blowing on a straw to signal your nurse." FrankenFuel 12/09/07
Return of Crispy Creme

Fort Custer Trail Condtions 5/17/04

Postby darkrider » May 17th, 2004, 12:59 pm

I rode on the red trail saturday and the conditions are slightly muddy in places, but not to bad overall. But with the new storm moving in today it may get muddier. As for the drinking fountain located at the trailhead, that WAS operational.
darkrider

Re: Fort Custer Trail Condtions 5/17/04

Postby suydam » May 17th, 2004, 1:34 pm

darkrider wrote:I rode on the red trail saturday and the conditions are slightly muddy in places, but not to bad overall. But with the new storm moving in today it may get muddier. As for the drinking fountain located at the trailhead, that WAS operational.

The storm blew through Kalamazoo in 30 minutes today. Hopefully it does the same at the Fort. .
suydam

Postby Briana » May 19th, 2004, 7:43 am

Was slimmy a little but has dried up most everywhere and is in great shape!

Tues, May 18
Briana
Briana

Postby Wolverine » May 21st, 2004, 7:06 am

Can I assume then the Ft dries out well and would be worth a 2.5 hour road trip tomorrow?

TIA!
Angie
Wolverine

Postby suydam » May 21st, 2004, 7:21 am

wolverine wrote:Can I assume then the Ft dries out well and would be worth a 2.5 hour road trip tomorrow?

TIA!
Angie

For the most part it drains well. There are spots where standing puddles can last half the darn summer, but they're easy to spot ahead of time.

I was out there Wednesday and it was awesome. Fast and mostly dry on alll of the red & green loops.
suydam

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments