MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby sqrlmstr » July 5th, 2016, 4:25 pm

[quote="Two girls and a boy? Wonder if it was the same kids, they told me they were heading to campground.[/quote]

These may have been the same kids that my brother and I saw, good thing they were screaming the whole time so we knew they were coming.

LOTS of runners WITH bike traffic as well on Saturday morning which is equally as dangerous, actually I think we only saw two runners coming towards us. We would give the polite 'TRAIL' from a few hundred feet back, and slow way down, but they'd still be in shock when we got closer and said 'Left at the next opportunity'. The runners coming head on were very polite, the ones we 'snuck up on' were less thrilled.
sqrlmstr

Postby vette-ss » July 5th, 2016, 9:35 pm

I also ran into 3 going wrong direction saturday am but not kids. Older couple lost and one 20s/30s guy that missed the cut to yellow.
vette-ss

Postby DynoDon » July 9th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Sand needs packing down,, it was rutty,, a few slick/wet spots, but still a fun ride, slappers are there, but it was bearable, good day for a ride..
DynoDon

Postby poirier » July 10th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Trimmed up 3 sections today: on blue I hit the straight away before yellow cut off and the section after spring mill up to the 2012 reroute. On yellow I got the downhill before the bridge on Kensington to the fishing road.

For the most part the trail is in great shape. Only real issue is the sand at the bottom of the hills. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
World's Best Dad Bod

This forum is to be used for entertainment purposes only
poirier

Postby TrekStache » July 10th, 2016, 1:28 pm

Thanks for helping out with the trimming, if you ever want help out there send me a pm.
TrekStache

Postby poirier » July 12th, 2016, 11:02 am

fsr1 wrote:We plan to continue the current direction for at least a few more years. There will be some mileage markers going in as well.

If anyone really wants to see a change at ILRA, bring some loppers!

Any chance we can get some "wrong way" stickers on the backside of those markers?

World's Best Dad Bod

poirier

Postby DynoDon » July 12th, 2016, 11:22 am

poirier wrote:
fsr1 wrote:We plan to continue the current direction for at least a few more years. There will be some mileage markers going in as well.

If anyone really wants to see a change at ILRA, bring some loppers!

Any chance we can get some "wrong way" stickers on the backside of those markers?

Wrong way signs going east from the campground would be a great idea, I come close to hitting a pack of kids there, I told them they were going the wrong way, but they just kept going.
DynoDon

Postby b_b » July 12th, 2016, 12:01 pm

My son accidentally went the wrong way on Blue Sunday and was my fault. We were starting Yellow and I took the right line up first the first hill and I thought he was closer behind than he was and he went straight and kept going on Blue the wrong way until I chased him down. We passed just one guy going the right way. So yeah "Wrong Way" sign there might help some people. :)
b_b

Postby DynoDon » July 12th, 2016, 12:07 pm

More Wrong Ways are a great, except it may confuse the hikers more.. maybe, "Bikes Wrong Way", or the circle with the line through it, over the image of a bike, like at Poto..thats an international sign, it speaks everyones language.
DynoDon

Postby arfenarf » July 12th, 2016, 1:07 pm

"Bikes Wrong Way" signs would be great but I think the circle-line icon could lead to the mistaken impression that the trail is closed to bikes in both directions.
arfenarf

Postby barrybs » July 12th, 2016, 1:10 pm

arfenarf wrote:"Bikes Wrong Way" signs would be great but I think the circle-line icon could lead to the mistaken impression that the trail is closed to bikes in both directions.

You are correct. We need to change the Poto signs. I have been asked several times why "that" trail ( person pointing to sign ) isn't open to bikes.

Perhaps a W over a bike icon.
Last edited by barrybs on July 12th, 2016, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for.
Louis L'Amour
barrybs

Postby arfenarf » July 12th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Thanks, Barry.

(I like signs. :) )
arfenarf

Postby poirier » July 12th, 2016, 2:28 pm

World's Best Dad Bod

poirier