MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby TrekStache » June 24th, 2015, 11:48 am

Went riding this morning since I took a day off work. Just rode blue one time around, there are a few puddles that can't be missed. I would say it is close to a 90% solid ride. The major issues is the face slappers that need to be trimmed. If there is a trail day coming up let me know, would enjoy helping out. Also look out for the abundance of sand in all the wrong places.
TrekStache

Postby Hermannator » June 25th, 2015, 3:57 pm

If any of you get a chance, don't wait for a trail day to trim Island Lake. Grab some loppers and go to the "places of interest" and lop. I know that there are several places that need some trail love. Then report your volunteer hours to the mcmba website. mcmba.org. If anyone wants to go out and trim but wants some guidance, pm me and maybe we can meet and do some work together...
Hermannator

Postby mrbikester » June 26th, 2015, 10:45 pm

Had to get a ride in this afternoon before all the rain hits. Looks like a wash out weekend. Most of Blue and Yellow were fine except for the mentioned sandy spots and face slappers. One day soon on a not so nice day I will head out there with my little hand saw and clippers to do some trimming.
The section of yellow after the bridge over the Huron River where it skirts the edge of the meadow the grass is in much need of a weed whacker. It is so overgrown you can barely make out the trail in spots.
mrbikester

Postby fsr1 » June 27th, 2015, 5:48 am

mrbikester wrote:Had to get a ride in this afternoon before all the rain hits. Looks like a wash out weekend. Most of Blue and Yellow were fine except for the mentioned sandy spots and face slappers. One day soon on a not so nice day I will head out there with my little hand saw and clippers to do some trimming.
The section of yellow after the bridge over the Huron River where it skirts the edge of the meadow the grass is in much need of a weed whacker. It is so overgrown you can barely make out the trail in spots.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have to admit though I don't like face slippers, and the trail does need cut back in places, I do like the grown in jungle like look right now. I also love the tall Meadow grass, especially at night, but I get it...
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby fsr1 » June 27th, 2015, 5:50 am

fsr1 wrote:
mrbikester wrote:Had to get a ride in this afternoon before all the rain hits. Looks like a wash out weekend. Most of Blue and Yellow were fine except for the mentioned sandy spots and face slappers. One day soon on a not so nice day I will head out there with my little hand saw and clippers to do some trimming.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have to admitadmit, though I don't like face slappers, and the trail does need cut back in places, I do like the grown in jungle like look right now. I also love the tall Meadow grass, especially at night, but I get it...
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby Hermannator » Today, 3:24 pm

Low hanging tree on Blue near rustic cabins... Need to duck... Tree down on Yellow past metal bridge in tall grass section... (comes up fast, get ready to apply brakes)... Also leaner in Blue on top of hill before long drop back to road (near mile 3.5). This last one is more of a trail feature than a safely issue, but it could surprise you if you are riding at night...
Hermannator

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments