MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby b_b » December 3rd, 2014, 7:22 am

What are the badlands and where is the connector?
b_b

Postby jmf003 » December 3rd, 2014, 9:12 am

b_b wrote:What are the badlands and where is the connector?

It's mostly south and east of the Blue Trail as it follows Spring Mill Creek. A lot of sand and gravel hills, some of which are challenging to climb even on a fat bike.

I was sloppy with my language. There are many connectors between the Blue Trail and the Badlands. The tree is down on the first connector from the Blue Trail, roughly where I placed the star on the following map.

jmf003

Postby tjdog800 » December 3rd, 2014, 8:19 pm

Hey Mark!

Tree leaning over Blue between the bridge and the River Bend Parking lot. On the short uphill where Blue leaves the two-way. Difficult to get around it is.
Its about a foot in diameter. Easy to get to from the Riverbend Lot.

Please have the DNR do it's magic. :)

tjdog800

Postby fsr1 » December 3rd, 2014, 8:58 pm

tjdog800 wrote:Hey Mark!

Tree leaning over Blue between the bridge and the River Bend Parking lot. On the short uphill where Blue leaves the two-way. Difficult to get around it is.
Its about a foot in diameter. Easy to get to from the Riverbend Lot.

Please have the DNR do it's magic. :)

Will do.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby c0nsumer » December 6th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Trail was in great shape for the Global Fat Bike Ride today. Towards the later part of the day (2pm-ish) some spots -- in particular the section right after the railroad tracks -- was getting a little greasy, but nothing trail damaging nor really bothersome. Just a thin layer of damp on the top...
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Brian Y » December 10th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Trail is in good shape today, nice and frozen. If it warms up that will be a different story!
Brian Y

Postby arfenarf » December 13th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Great conditions this morning, just getting a little greasy in the corners by the time I left around noon.

Hey, Mark, whoever you are, if you're out there: Thanks so much for waiting for the newbie at corners to be sure I went the right way on my first trip around.
arfenarf

Postby mrbikester » December 14th, 2014, 7:20 pm

I rode just the yellow trail today and it was overall in very good shape. The only slippery , greasy spot was the second to last climb. My wheels spun out and had to walk it.
My wife and I skied at Pine Knob on Friday and here we are on Sunday in mid December biking on a trail.That's exciting for someone that doesn't ride a fat bike.
May go to Addison Oaks on Monday if it doesn't rain.
mrbikester

Postby jreyst » December 14th, 2014, 7:23 pm

I rode Island Lake today also and yes, much of it was in good shape, but several spots were mud pits. Right at the beginning of the hills along the railroad tracks after you cross the road (blue) it was a heck of a mess. Several other spots in the low areas were kind of bad too. I suspect it will be worse tomorrow. While I was not pizza-cutting it there were some spots where I seriously thought "I ought not be out here I suppose" especially when I now know I have to scrape an inch of mud off my bike before I ride it again :(
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby Mucky » December 14th, 2014, 8:52 pm

jreyst wrote: While I was not pizza-cutting it there were some spots where I seriously thought "I ought not be out here I suppose" especially when I now know I have to scrape an inch of mud off my bike before I ride it again :(

I rode Saturday and felt the same way. I wasn't muddy, but the bike had enough on it. I was slow and careful not to make any ruts. It was very slippery on most of the trail, I would say 70%. Not sure what mrbikester is talking about when saying the trail is in good shape. I will say that most of the climbs were in good shape. The longer one on yellow after the 1st bridge was all dry.

I did encounter some recreational riders, meaning bikes with kickstands and such, that shouldn't have been out there for sure. 2 separate groups. I was behind a woman who was constantly sliding through a short section before the beach. A few hundred yards before the small bridge, all the way to the opening to the beach lot. I told her and her group to be careful and be aware of the mud and damage they could do.
Mucky

Postby poirier » December 14th, 2014, 9:59 pm

75% good to go.
20% tacky/slick
5% get off and walk around.

To say otherwise is simply not true.
poirier

Postby jreyst » December 14th, 2014, 10:01 pm

I'd agree with that assessment as it was this afternoon. It's supposed to be near 50 degrees F tomorrow so I'd assume those percentages would change to something like:

50% good to go.
30% tacky/slick
20% get off and walk around.
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby b_b » December 14th, 2014, 11:06 pm

I rode Saturday AM and bike was clean as a whistle until the very last 1/2 mile on yellow picked up some mud on the tires. I would have never guessed it would have become so snotty. Seems I made the right call going early Saturday. :)
b_b

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments