MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 11th, 2014, 8:43 am

^ Exactly, and heck, give some of the money to the TC for enforcing it, the rest goes to chains, improving the trail, etc.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby fsr1 » April 11th, 2014, 8:50 am

The DNR, with almost absolute certainly will not be open to the enforcement idea.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby b_b » April 11th, 2014, 8:58 am

Think about what you are asking for - govt to enforce trail usage. Sorry I'm not on board. This is not what govt is for. I much prefer public flogging! Love the camera idea and then we can post and play "name that douche bag"!
b_b

Postby BForhan » April 11th, 2014, 9:22 am

Just close the gate at the trail head with a big sign on it trails closed. Maybe that would help a little, but it will cause other problems with various user groups. There are other parking lots and areas to change with access to the path and road so it may not be a big issue.

Brian
BForhan

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 11th, 2014, 9:44 am

BForhan wrote:Just close the gate at the trail head with a big sign on it trails closed. Maybe that would help a little, but it will cause other problems with various user groups. There are other parking lots and areas to change with access to the path and road so it may not be a big issue.

Brian

Problems with what user groups? If it's too soft for biking, it's too soft for running or hiking.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby BForhan » April 11th, 2014, 11:19 am

CraveSingletrack wrote:
BForhan wrote:Just close the gate at the trail head with a big sign on it trails closed. Maybe that would help a little, but it will cause other problems with various user groups. There are other parking lots and areas to change with access to the path and road so it may not be a big issue.

Brian

Problems with what user groups? If it's too soft for biking, it's too soft for running or hiking.

People walking, running or biking the paved path or someone wanting to use the trail head lot as a spot to ride the road from.

Basically boils down to if you close the gate somebody is going to get *beep*. If it saves the trail great I am all for it and close it. I ride the roads plenty in the park during this time of year and can use an alternate lot just as well as anyone else.

Brian
BForhan

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 11th, 2014, 11:23 am

I took this as gating off/closing the trail head themselves with chains, not the parking lot. I get what you're saying then.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Poto has one

Postby Bento » April 11th, 2014, 5:43 pm

deuxdiesel wrote:I'd like to see a motion activated trail camera. Pictures could be posted on-line during the muddy season. You could see who was riding during those times. A little peer pressure would go a long way.

Photos of Poto's Trail Cam:
http://imgur.com/joWC4Xa
http://imgur.com/D2sbP1r
http://imgur.com/P22OQ9M

Even though the camera says it is from Sleepy Hollow State Park, these pictures came from Pinckney Recreation Area this past December.
Bento

Postby Friend Or Foe » April 12th, 2014, 7:22 am

BLUE TRAIL IS DEFINITELY STILL NOT READY

I rode/walked most of Blue on Friday evening. 95% of the trail is in absolutely great shape. However, the remaining 5% is still at least a week or more away. The single largest problem is a stretch of trail about 300 feet long behind the cabins in the Common Juniper area. This section is still ice covered (2-3 inches thick, 1-2 feet wide) & extremely wet on the edges. Other bad sections are on the northern edge of the park - straightaway section behind the houses parallel to the rr tracks & then about .5 mile later just before the access trail to Grand River & the 7-11 - very wet/muddy with very deep pizza cutters. Also, the section leading up the cut-off for Yellow is pretty bad.

If you really need to ride some singletrack, ride the section starting at the rr viaduct past Spring Mill Pond to the 2nd road crossing. This stretch is all in very good shape with the exception of a small section (15' - 20') just over the 1st wooden foot bridge & then another small section (12' - 15') before the wooden foot bridge at the road crossing. You can take the park road back to the viaduct & ride repeats.
Friend Or Foe

Postby sklevorn » April 12th, 2014, 7:00 pm

A few muddy spots here and there, particularly on blue, and was even some ice left but trail was in good shape. Cleared a few trees I could manage. A low hanger is out there on yellow a few miles in and a BIG tree is down at about the mile marker on Blue.
sklevorn

Postby jbolenbaugh » April 14th, 2014, 9:29 am

Rode yesterday, blue has a couple very bad spots, yellow is fine. The bad spots in blue may just need some drainage works as they are surrounded by perfectly dry spots.
Team : Wheels In Motion
Great Quotes
"I really love my 29er cannondale single speed, but now that strava exists and I live next to ILRA i'm going to need some gears to look better"
"Quote Redacted" -Racing Greyhounds member
jbolenbaugh

Postby ssteinbe » April 17th, 2014, 5:57 pm

Did a couple laps of Yellow today. Trail in good shape except trees down in the following places:
- 1 mile in at the base of the hill along the river
- just over 2 miles in, a decapitater
- Early on just where the two-way traffic with blue starts
- At the end of blue right before it crosses the yellow trail.
Steve
Trail's Edge Cycling Team
http://www.trails-edge.com
ssteinbe

Postby fsr1 » April 18th, 2014, 4:05 pm

ssteinbe wrote:Did a couple laps of Yellow today. Trail in good shape except trees down in the following places:
- 1 mile in at the base of the hill along the river
- just over 2 miles in, a decapitater
- Early on just where the two-way traffic with blue starts
- At the end of blue right before it crosses the yellow trail.

I'm not in town right now and doubt the DNR will get to it at this time of year. Hopefully next week I can get then removed.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby Sparty » April 19th, 2014, 5:03 am

mile 8 on blue there's a very large tree down. walk-arounds have formed to both sides - neither is rideable.

the trail itself is in great shape - hard packed & dry. a few small areas where pizza cutters will need smoothing but nothing as bad as i have seen in past years. 2-3 very small spots where the soil is play-doh-ish - should dry out over this weekend with the expected warmer temps.
Sparty

Postby qt314159 » April 20th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Big tree down on the end of blue now has a path cleared to the right.
Big tree near the beginning of yellow has been cleared.
Low leaning tree several miles into yellow has been cleared.

Didn't ride the two-way on blue so I can't comment on if that tree is still there.
qt314159

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments