MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby fsr1 » March 21st, 2011, 7:13 am

A number of cyclists were either not using good judgment or ignoring the suggestions to not ride the trail during the thaw. On Sunday we saw too many muddy bikes heading down the trail.

If you are reading this: Please avoid the trails till they've had the chance to thaw and properly dry out. The less damage we cause the better (and more responsible) we come across to the land managers that allow us the privilege to use the park.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby Paul Brown » March 21st, 2011, 7:32 am

I'm at the point where I'd rather bang my head against the wall than try to talk sense to a rider who uses the argument, "its mountain biking" bla, bla ,bla......" you know the logic (or lack of). Some people refuse to try to understand the impact of their actions even when you take the time to go into detail, its more of a human condition of not wanting to be told what and when to do something. Most of us have a natural instinct to question and rebel against authority but when it comes to getting along in a civilized society/community we bend in order to do whets best for the greater good. Some refuse to make these adjustments. You can call them out and label them with nasty names but they will ride during the thaw regardless of your efforts. You can talk sense into many who are just unaware of the issues at hand though, you can make this assessment within a couple of minutes, if they push back hard you know you are dealing with the prior category of trail user. Same users who are out cutting up ILRA or any other trail are not reading this board.
Paul Brown

Postby DNR Island Lake » March 21st, 2011, 3:19 pm

I posted a couple of "stay of the trail" signs on the blue and yellow trail starting posts.

If you guys want to put your "mud" signs underneath the two I printed go for it.

Just trying to make the advice a little more visable.
See if that helps out at all.

Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby fsr1 » March 21st, 2011, 4:00 pm

Thank you Dave. I'll look into getting a few more of those signs.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby Friend Or Foe » March 22nd, 2011, 6:22 am

Paul Brown wrote:I'm at the point where I'd rather bang my head against the wall than try to talk sense to a rider who uses the argument, "its mountain biking" bla, bla ,bla......" you know the logic (or lack of). Some people refuse to try to understand the impact of their actions even when you take the time to go into detail, its more of a human condition of not wanting to be told what and when to do something. Most of us have a natural instinct to question and rebel against authority but when it comes to getting along in a civilized society/community we bend in order to do whets best for the greater good. Some refuse to make these adjustments. You can call them out and label them with nasty names but they will ride during the thaw regardless of your efforts. You can talk sense into many who are just unaware of the issues at hand though, you can make this assessment within a couple of minutes, if they push back hard you know you are dealing with the prior category of trail user. Same users who are out cutting up ILRA or any other trail are not reading this board.

good post. i was on the park road a couple of times last week & the sections of trail that i saw from the road were nowhere near ready for riding. many areas still had ice, large puddles, & very visable mud. it's not even like someone could argue that the majority of the trail was ridable - it just plain isn't. oh sure, the lead up to spring mill pond is clear & dry because it sits out in the sun & wind. but look at the section just before that, where the wooden footbridge crosses the creek - mud city!

the thing i wonder is "do people actually enjoy riding the trails when they are thawing such as they are now?" you can't be riding very fast in most sections, you're getting coated with mud, you're destroying your drivetrain, & you most likely are having to walk several sections - not to mention the damage you're doing to the trail. fun? i think not! jump on the park road & do 20-30 miles to build up some strength from not riding all winter. the trail will still be there in 2-3 weeks when it is in better shape for riding.
Friend Or Foe

Re: Metro South: Island Lake 3/22/11

Postby ibisman » March 22nd, 2011, 11:57 am

yep got out here at 9am and trail was mud though some spots still had ice, decided to hit the paved trail into Kensington and did 2 laps there and back for 24+miles.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby paper » March 24th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Trail report anybody? I'm thinking this weekend could be good.
paper

Postby adroit rider » March 24th, 2011, 10:05 pm

If you finish your laps before 10am it should be fine...
adroit rider

Postby ibisman » March 25th, 2011, 7:22 am

heading out there right now....8;17 am.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby mdeyoung » March 25th, 2011, 8:35 am

So what was the verdict? I am planning on going out early tomorrow morning.
mdeyoung

Re: Metro South: Island Lake 3/25/11

Postby ibisman » March 25th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Both loops open to ride early. Very dry and the dirt hard with very little ice at 10 am. Tree down on yellow at around 14 mile mark on the last climb.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby Loren » March 25th, 2011, 1:24 pm

Thanks for the update Dave!

Think I'll be hitting it up this evening.
Loren

Postby AllMountin' » March 25th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Up by Saginaw, I've got enough hard crusted snow that I can't use half my driveway. I'll be invading your county tomorrow.

High of 35 tomorrow. Is evening riding acceptable, or morning only?
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby fsr1 » March 26th, 2011, 5:44 am

We didn't get that high yesterday and tried to ride @ 6:30 pm but had to bail on the Blue loop because it was just too soft. The yellow was much better but we still walked the section after the wood bridge as it too was very soft.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby Loren » March 26th, 2011, 6:23 am

That was our experience also.
Loren

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions