MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby Leroi Brown » April 7th, 2014, 7:35 am

Sparty wrote:A couple of observations while riding my road bike thru ILRA on Sunday...
1. The trail is no where near ready to ride. Still snow/ice covered in many areas. In other areas the snow has melted but the track is very wet & channeling water. About the only section I could see that would be OK to ride is the mile stretch around Spring Mill Pond that is heavily sand & always exposed to the sun & wind.
2. There will always be some tool that thinks he's smarter than everyone else. Saw some guy riding blue in reverse despite the conditions that most people know to avoid.

I completely concur; observed the same things while riding my road bike at ILRA yesterday. With the predicted torrential rains today, it's going to be awhile before the trail is rideable.

I also saw the ruts left by the brainchild that you described riding the Blue Loop.

STAY OFF THE TRAIL!
"Falling down the mountain
End up kissing dirt
Look a little closer
Sometimes it wouldn't hurt" - INXS - Kiss The Dirt

Cross Country Cycle Racing
www.crosscountrycycle.com
Leroi Brown

Postby BForhan » April 7th, 2014, 7:46 am

I was out there last Wednesday afternoon. As I was getting ready to head out on my mountain bike to ride the roads a guy pops out of the woods and is pretty muddy. He asked me "if I was hitting the trails told him no I was doing the pavement", he said the trails are fine just a little mud and ice". Yea a little he and his bike where covered in a LITTLE MUD. People will never listen and this year may be worse than any in recent memory due to many not being able to ride much in the winter and it going for so long.

Brian
BForhan

Postby ibisman » April 7th, 2014, 7:48 am

^ see above.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
31,071.9 total trail miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1648.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby fsr1 » April 7th, 2014, 8:20 am

It's exhausting to think about, so I'm not going to.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake 4/8/2014

Postby ibisman » April 8th, 2014, 12:10 pm

Still a lot of ice and mud. Cement path into Kensington clear.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
31,071.9 total trail miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1648.9--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby FatTire » April 8th, 2014, 12:33 pm

I've looked at the trail a few times near the Park Road crossings the last few outings and it's nowhere near "Ready to Ride". It's good to see "most" riders continue to opt for the Park Road and Kensington. Those roads are seeing a lot of MTB traffic as we're all anxious to get out and enjoy the warmer days.

I will be glad to hang up my skinny-tire in a couple more weeks and get back on the trail!
FatTire

Postby roginski » April 9th, 2014, 8:05 pm

STAY OFF... took a look at parts today.. only spring mill pond area in descent shape. Saw at least one rider on the trail :( ... lots of cars at trailhead too... I am sure this has been beaten to death, but why not a sign at the trailhead... saying it's closed for thaw?
roginski

Postby Dave L » April 9th, 2014, 9:43 pm

I don't know why the park just doesn't post the trails closed. Seems like a simple solution.
Dave L

Postby BForhan » April 10th, 2014, 3:55 am

I was at the trail head yesterday heading out for some road riding saw 6 people get on yellow and two people coming off the trail. The ones coming off where muddy but not horrible. Looking in the woods at the areas you can see riding by on the road, I would guess another week at least before it is really ready to ride especially with the rain and cool down that is being predicted.

Dave L. I to wonder why the park doesn't post the trail closed and run a chain across the access points like Maybury? My guess would be the multiple access points but a chain or sign at half the access points would be a great help.

Brian
Last edited by BForhan on April 10th, 2014, 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BForhan

Postby fsr1 » April 10th, 2014, 5:55 am

I've put signs up before but those unconcearned with ruining the trail are apparently above observing the signs.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby b_b » April 10th, 2014, 6:27 am

I like the yellow chains at Maybury. Seems to send a stronger message than a sign although not going to stop anyone who don't care.
b_b

Postby deuxdiesel » April 11th, 2014, 5:27 am

I'd like to see a motion activated trail camera. Pictures could be posted on-line during the muddy season. You could see who was riding during those times. A little peer pressure would go a long way.
deuxdiesel

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 11th, 2014, 6:55 am

I think the DNR should be able to right tickets for running/riding on a closed trail. (And maybe make the TCs some sort of honorary DNR person?) A couple people getting $50 fines would deter people. As well as signs stating that fines will be imposed.
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby Sparty » April 11th, 2014, 7:37 am

In order to enforce tickets/penalties each & every access to point to the trail would need to be marked - pretty difficult given the number of places you can jump on blue or yellow. The size of the park versus the number of DNR staff would make strict enforcement pretty much impossible. I like the chain idea. If the chains were strung at strategic points it would at least send the right message. Right now, the only signage is at the kiosk at the trailhead & my guess is that most people do not stop to read that.
Sparty

Postby pongomoto » April 11th, 2014, 7:42 am

CraveSingletrack wrote:I think the DNR should be able to right tickets for running/riding on a closed trail. (And maybe make the TCs some sort of honorary DNR person?) A couple people getting $50 fines would deter people. As well as signs stating that fines will be imposed.

Look at me.....agreeing with Kyle. Wonder if this has ever come up at meetings. After a few $50 fines are issued and paid you have enough money to buy the chains.
pongomoto

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments