MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby tjdog800 » March 12th, 2014, 3:36 pm

Cancel that...
tjdog800

Postby tjdog800 » March 13th, 2014, 10:59 pm

ILRA Blue was a mixed bag of fat bike fun from the JCP lot tonight. Short sections of fast frozen slush and snow, a few sections packed down from fat traffic, but most is a little soft from snowmobile "groomers" loosening things up a little bit.

I chose the Park Road over the the Mill Pond and "new blue" sections which seemed to be the unanimous choice.

Things will be different as it warms up Friday for sure.
tjdog800

Postby G.Cook » March 15th, 2014, 10:55 am

Hows the black top ? Much snow left on the main drag ?
G.Cook

Postby fsr1 » March 15th, 2014, 11:45 am

G.Cook wrote:Hows the black top ? Much snow left on the main drag ?

I haven't been out there Greg but I'll bet the blacktop is still a mixed bag.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby G.Cook » March 15th, 2014, 1:03 pm

Thanks Mark . Thats what I'm thinking but thats better then a muddy gravel rd.
G.Cook

Postby plaindave » March 16th, 2014, 9:37 am

Attempted to ride the trails this morning. Trails were frozen solid at 7:30, but pretty much unridable thanks to hikers out during the warm weather. The main road was clear with just some patchy ice near the sides.
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-- Frank Zappa
plaindave

Postby ibisman » March 16th, 2014, 10:01 am

studs is all.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,767.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1344.5--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby FatTire » March 16th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Rode Blue from JCP this afternoon. Zigzaged a lot to avoid the gray ice to find snow at the edges for traction in many areas. Most of the trail was hard frozen snow/slush with a few sun-soaked soft spots. I avoided the Mill Pond hill as it gets full sun and the snowmobilers usually have it churned up.

Near most all of the access areas, the trail is heavily pocked by hikers which makes for a bumpy ride but there were no "post holes" to traverse or significant pizza cutters... yet.

The Park Road is clear and dry near all the crossings.
FatTire

Postby Steve_Balogh » March 16th, 2014, 9:27 pm

I did the blue this afternoon on DIY studded tires. The Spring Mill Pond section was mostly ice. Saw some scuba divers out there also. Be careful coming down the hill alongside the road, it's packed down mostly by fat bikes, and has about four footprints that sank through 4-6", be sure to stay on the center packed section or you could break a leg if you step off. You pretty much have to ride through those "post holes". There's still a lot of snow despite some areas that have exposed ground.
Steve_Balogh

Postby spartanOCR » March 27th, 2014, 5:16 am

The number of frozen footprints out there is obnoxious. I was out last Thursday, and the trail was simply a sheet of ice, but something must have happened over the weekend. I wish those who wish to use the trails would exercise a little bit of self-discipline, because that one day of activity during a warm-up can mess the trail up for a week once the temperature drops to below freezing. This is true for the snow and for the soft trails after the snow melts away.
spartanOCR

Postby plaindave » March 30th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Rode this morning while still frozen. Potholes and ice everywhere. Studs were necessary. Wouldn't recommend riding for a while, even early in the day when still frozen. Some people have been out there leaving tracks in the mud when it was soft.

Pretty bad when the best sections were the uphill ice and you are looking for ice to ride on because it's easier than bouncing in the trail.
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-- Frank Zappa
plaindave

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake 4/1/2014

Postby ibisman » April 1st, 2014, 12:15 pm

walked the trail from the parking lot. Ice and mud. Rode the cement bike path to Kensington. Wet, with sections of ice in shaded areas. Kensington was wet but workers were using tractors with brushes and salt to clear the whole loop of ice.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,767.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1344.5--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby Friend Or Foe » April 1st, 2014, 3:49 pm

i'll be pleasantly surprised if ilra is ready to ride prior to may 1. i live < 1 mile from the park & there is still a lot of snow in the shaded areas. i would imagine the trail will be snow/ice covered for at least another week or two with the cold temps returning this weekend. when it does eventually melt it will take another week or two for the track to dry out. we need consistent temps in the 50s & 60s with some windy/sunny days. i don't see that in any of the near-term weather reports i've read.
Friend Or Foe

Postby ej132 » April 6th, 2014, 9:02 pm

As of Saturday large tree down around mile 8 on Blue.
ej132

Postby Sparty » April 7th, 2014, 6:53 am

A couple of observations while riding my road bike thru ILRA on Sunday...
1. The trail is no where near ready to ride. Still snow/ice covered in many areas. In other areas the snow has melted but the track is very wet & channeling water. About the only section I could see that would be OK to ride is the mile stretch around Spring Mill Pond that is heavily sand & always exposed to the sun & wind.
2. There will always be some tool that thinks he's smarter than everyone else. Saw some guy riding blue in reverse despite the conditions that most people know to avoid.
Sparty

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments