MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby dcat1 » March 6th, 2014, 8:45 am

How is the park road? Is it plowed/clear?

Thanks
dcat1

Postby BForhan » March 6th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Sunday around 2 it was plowed, but in any area that there was shade a lot of ice was under the snow left by the plow. That was from the trail head parking lot to the back of the park. I rode me bike in off of Grand River.

Brian
BForhan

Postby vette-ss » March 6th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Ditto what Brian said. It is plowed clear of snow, so no problem with a vehicle. Same for trail head parking lot. However it varies from patchy ice to complete ice near the RR track crossing on Blue, so be on your toes if on 2 wheels.
vette-ss

Postby steveracer » March 6th, 2014, 1:17 pm

So would a full suspension studded 26 inch setup work on the trail. Early in the am?

Sent using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby vette-ss » March 6th, 2014, 1:28 pm

I would say yes on Blue, based on what I saw last weekend. I was on a fat bike but in the minority. Most all of the trail surface was hard packed. But, watch the weather this weekend. 40 degrees tomorrow and low barely below freezing, it will probably start getting soft and might be iffy for skinny tires. Sunday morning might be a better bet as the low Sat night is colder.
vette-ss

Postby Hermannator » March 6th, 2014, 9:11 pm

Nothing to do with trail conditions, but I thought it was interesting. The two-way Bridge on Blue/Yellow is considered an historic bridge. Here is the link: http://www.historicbridges.org/bridges/ ... estaterec/
Hermannator

Postby Loren » March 7th, 2014, 8:11 am

Thanks for that link!
Loren

Postby SteveF » March 7th, 2014, 8:15 am

Hermannator wrote:Nothing to do with trail conditions, but I thought it was interesting. The two-way Bridge on Blue/Yellow is considered an historic bridge. Here is the link: http://www.historicbridges.org/bridges/ ... estaterec/

This bridge is buried in the woods on what used to be Sutherland Road and is today no more than an undeveloped non-motorized trail through a recreation area.

"No more than?!?" "Undeveloped??!" I think I'm a bit insulted by that characterization...
Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
SteveF

Postby Hermannator » March 8th, 2014, 8:06 am

"No more than?!?" "Undeveloped??!" I think I'm a bit insulted by that characterization...

I agree...

What I think is interesting is how much of the blue trail is actually Sutherland Road. Best that I can tell, the paved park road follows the path of Sutherland Road from about the fishing site road until just bast the trailhead road. Then it follows that sandy downhill at the beginning of blue, through the parking lot, down the straight two-way section on blue/yellow, over the bridge and up the hill. Most of Blue from mile 8 until the yellow cutoff is also Sutherland Road. The road used to run east-west and then run north-south, with a curve near the railroad tracks (just like blue has). I always suspected that that straight gradual uphill on Blue about mile 8 was an old road of some sort, since you see a wide area of gravel in the dirt. The road dates from before 1875. Here are a couple of links of old plat maps that show the old road....

http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... /Michigan/

This one from 1930 shows a town (or train stop?) at the corner of the blue trail near the railroad tracks...
http://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/ ... on++Genoa/
Hermannator

Postby hala514 » March 9th, 2014, 11:04 am

any word on trail conditions? was there a lot of thaw yesterday? could it have frozen overnight? enquiring minds want to know!
hala514

Postby roginski » March 9th, 2014, 1:54 pm

Conditions today were about as good as they get, you could ride a cx bike out there.
roginski

Postby andrewj75 » March 10th, 2014, 10:34 am

They were great yesterday, but starting to show signs of the thaw. Blue along the tracks had early signs of melt and any other section that had all day sun. With the warmth forecast this week, not sure the rideable snow conditions will last.
andrewj75

Postby steveracer » March 10th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Looking for rideable ice and frozen ground conditions to come!

Sent using Tapatalk
Hope is not a good strategy.
steveracer

Postby coreytrek » March 12th, 2014, 8:11 am

Anyone making it out today?
coreytrek

Postby FatTire » March 12th, 2014, 8:28 am

I'll likely make it out tonight. 6:30ish. Lights n all.
FatTire

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments